Sign in to follow this  
BlackrazorNZ

B58 Engine - Performance Potential

With the B58 having been out for a couple of years now in the M140i, M240i, M340i and a couple of others, there are some really interesting tweaks starting to come out of the woodwork.

The base engine is rated 250kw / 335hp, with 500Nm of torque, figures which are somewhat underrated as the car normally dyno's about 365hp and appx 516Nm torque.

It's quite apparent that BMW have built this engine to be a platform from which to develop some pretty incredible performance options out there. With only some relatively minor tweaks you can get some pretty mental output figures on completely stock internals.

For example, here is a 2017 M140i with some improvement to the exhaust system, intake filters, and the addition of one of the newer Burger JB4 on-the-fly remappers, admittedly on the highest setting that won't require an upgraded fuel injection system or water/meth injection.

image.png.b2eb2be6cdc56032bec6deaabb778ac6.png

That's 430hp and an astronomical 685Nm of torque... from an engine in a hatchback that you would barely look twice at when you saw someone loading groceries into it at the supermarket!

Gonna be bloody interesting what happens with this engine in coming years, especially ones the tuning-happy scene that the Supra will attract start getting their hands on it.

• Like 1

As much as i can respect big power figures there is a point where its just overkill for your average legal usage here in NZ. Sport bikes are a good examples as the only place you can fully utilize them is the track.     

• Like 2

Oh I 100% agree, im just a bit of an engineering nerd. 

Reality is most high performance cars these days are wasting most of their potential off-track. 

I guess there’s also an element of ‘I don’t need it but it’s nice to know it’s there if ever do’ :)

I'm all for a bit of tinkering and tuning to see what you can get out of a car, lots of fun to be had from modifying and updating a stock factory car.

However, I do start to get a bit worried when people go nuts on the engine side and forget about things like brakes, suspension, tyres, etc. especially on older cars like E30 where the original set up leaves a bit to be desired.

Shouldn't be an issue on an M140i, especially if you have ordered the upgraded brakes or the M-Performance brakes.

• Like 1

I also find that my current car is plenty quick and any faster is useless for me.

It doesnt help me in any way what so ever in normal driving and if anything just makes it dangerous on the public road.

I dont think I have hit the redline ever in my car, crazy torque from low revs, I can rev up to only 4000rpm and hit 100km/h in seconds.

I honestly dont know what the 7000rpm is for...

15 minutes ago, qube said:

I also find that my current car is plenty quick and any faster is useless for me.

It doesnt help me in any way what so ever in normal driving and if anything just makes it dangerous on the public road.

I dont think I have hit the redline ever in my car, crazy torque from low revs, I can rev up to only 4000rpm and hit 100km/h in seconds.

I'm finding my Kona delivers the same experience... luv it ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, qube said:

Getting to 100km/h in second gear... :D

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 3:52 PM, Eagle said:

As much as i can respect big power figures there is a point where its just overkill for your average legal usage here in NZ. Sport bikes are a good examples as the only place you can fully utilize them is the track.     

My tuned 335i was exactly this. May as well have just got a 330i for puttering around town, by the time you were having fun with the power, you were so far over the speed limit, or sideways, it just wasn't that fun anymore. 

Yep one of the reason ive never bought anything that was too quick. Just a 5 min drive to hit top speeds limiters around here.

3 hours ago, KwS said:

My tuned 335i was exactly this. May as well have just got a 330i for puttering around town, by the time you were having fun with the power, you were so far over the speed limit, or sideways, it just wasn't that fun anymore. 

I think this is the case with most performance cars these days. Extremely competent, easy to drive and powerful with so much electronic safety equipment that the 'fun/character' factor feels as though it has been engineered out of them. 

Certainly I'm no driving god but my 335d requires nothing more than nailing the throttle and holding the steering wheel in sport mode.

i get it even at 5000rpm :)

I had no problems revving high in all my previous cars but they were NA