Sign in to follow this  
Jeff_G

New/old Bimmersport member

Hi all,

This a joint, new member introduction, want to buy and general discussion post so have selected this thread. Admin please move if necessary.

I'm a new/old Bimmersport member but inactive for a few years, most of which while in Auckland and not owning cars of my choosing (public transport and a new family etc!). Anyway we've returned to Chc now for lifestyle reasons which may include a fun car on the side... (still to be signed-off).

Previous BMW's were an E46 325i Msport (manual) in Topaz Blue and a E46 330i Msport in Titanium Silver (auto). However, I've always loved the later facelift E30s and have a hankering for one. And yes, boy am I aware of the tax (wow they've shot up while I've had my eyes away)! Anyway I'm keen to engage the community before going any further. 

In a perfect world I'd look for a M325i Mtech2 but looking at a couple of current examples online they're getting up there price-wise. 

I'm fussy but not fastidious and prefer original and slightly unique (hence Mtech). I'm probably not looking for a daily driver and do love the straight 6. Oh, I also like roofs so no verts!

So that's the intro and want to buy bit. I guess the general discussion part is what are the gotchas I should be looking for in 2019 (rust and other common E30 issues aside)? Also accepting probably ~200k+ KM on the clock. (I've done quite a few E30 searches on past threads before asking too).

Accept that's a pretty broad question so really looking for the main things to consider or possible options at this stage. I'd do some pretty tight pre-purchase due diligence before committing too. Anyway, any thoughts or advice on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, awesome to see some familiar names who have helped me in the past still chipping in.

Jeff

200k?.That would be an absolute minimum i would think.The "average" car of that age is probably a lot closer to 300 k.

13 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

200k?.That would be an absolute minimum i would think.The "average" car of that age is probably a lot closer to 300 k.

Yeah fair call - I put 200k+ thinking it'd definitely be north of that.  

K's are no issue at all as long its in good nick. Its probably better getting a higher k example as it would be cheaper than those low k garage queen types that go for 20k+, either way you are going to be paying up for a mtech2. You may or may not need some head work over 300,000km but these are simple and cheap cars to run compared to all that came after. Appreciating assets are always good to have.  

welcome (back), 

you have certainly chosen a rare and hard to find model as your come back WTB so good luck. definitely will be looking around the 20k +- 10k for a reasonable one IF it does come up.

for that money you could get into so many other options.

one of the favorites around the forum these days seems to be the E87 130i in manual which is around 10-15k these days.