Sign in to follow this  
Gabe79

Am I mad to be considering this? 2001 E53 X5

12 minutes ago, SmithyInWelly said:

No more than I must be looking at this one: https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1869040774.htm

Mine's prettier, and cheaper. Surely this is all I need to buy a car. ;)

If mine was the M54B30, I'd have bought it already. Chain guides scare me.

• Like 1

You could probably get an early model Prius for similar money, would be less trouble although finding a new battery might be costly

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, qube said:

@Gabe79 why do you need an x5?

I am doing rough roads once a week and the Leaf is my off road vehicle at the moment... It's not a happy little EV. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Michael. said:

You could probably get an early model Prius for similar money, would be less trouble although finding a new battery might be costly

I’m confused......why a Prius when an X5 is a different proposition?

it could be a lot of car for the money......just like my $4900 e38 which continues be a great barge .  Totally happy with my cheap old risky BM.    Just check everything......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, NUSTAD said:

I’m confused......why a Prius when an X5 is a different proposition?

it could be a lot of car for the money......just like my $4900 e38 which continues be a great barge .  Totally happy with my cheap old risky BM.    Just check everything......

So his Nissan leaf has a friend of course! 

X5's are awesome! and it would eat the rough road for breakfast ?. Think of it as an E39 touring on steriods. The higher seating position, stacks of room and ride/travel comfort is a big bonus over the E39! An X5 just eats the miles.

Be prepared for the sacrifice in fuel economy if you take the plunge - But thats what the Leaf is for hehe. IIRC I was getting 12/13 on my daily commute (60km round trip urban/motorway) and about 10/11 on long trips (1100kms Wgtn to BoP return). Unscientific testing of course haha!

Good spec, good price, great color - go on, just do it (after getting it checked out first of course) ?.

• Like 2

My only real concern is the fear of chain guides. I have spent a lot of time with my M54B30, I have spare parts, I know it better than any other engine (a cheap cheap claim!) Is that a real fear?

Also, I feel I got burned by Bellar's on the inspection they did on my e39. Since Glenn's left the business, where would one go for an inspection on this?

42 minutes ago, Gabe79 said:

Also, I feel I got burned by Bellar's on the inspection they did on my e39. Since Glenn's left the business, where would one go for an inspection on this?

What happened?

also you can go to a dealership for ppi. 

52 minutes ago, qube said:

also you can go to a dealership for ppi. 

Did not know that. Thanks. I imagine they come out with a right laundry list eh.

3 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Did not know that. Thanks. I imagine they come out with a right laundry list eh.

... which is what you want.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

Yeah, also interested in what happened, they're one of the few places I recommend. 

yep the silver one is mine. But unless sold tomorrow or the next day  (unlikely) it is about to be locked for the next year or two with my two E30s.

On 2/10/2019 at 4:27 AM, Olaf said:

... which is what you want.

My concern is a repeat of what I encountered where a cracked (visible crack, light shines through like...) valve cover was missed, but I got a note that my steering wheel was the wrong kind for my car. (It isn't, Msport wheel, just not the round kind PFL)

On 2/10/2019 at 2:30 PM, M3AN said:

Yeah, also interested in what happened, they're one of the few places I recommend. 

Maybe I am being unfair. I knew a lot less about cars then, specially about this specific car... In addition to the missed valve cover, I was advised the car was in reasonable condition for its age, and it wouldn't be quite as bad as it seemed (this has not panned out...). Also, given I was a complete newbie, I felt there was a lack of explanation as to what the items in the list were. I was under the impression I was paying for expertise and for a report which would make sense to me, I got a report that would make sense to me today, and didn't serve me very well then. Does this make sense? 

Edited by Gabe79
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, understood and understandable, that would probably disappoint me too...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M3AN said:

Yep, understood and understandable, that would probably disappoint me too...

+1

General rule - Unless an old BMW its been owned by a true enthusiast (typically one that can do work themselves) its going have lots of issues present.  

• Like 2

or some true fan whos it was their pride and joy and who had it all done at dealerships and just burned money, rare but they do exist

Have you ended up doing anything @Gabe79

Have a read over this thread: 

E53 is a great vehicle  - Greg's description of it being like a high-riding E38 is probably not far wrong. BUT like lots of old BMWs they can be a money pit so PPI, MBI are a must unless you'll be doing the work yourself. If you're going to get one, either buy one you really like and look after it ($$), or (eek) treat it as disposable ?

Service history is highly desirable to see if some muppet like me has spent all the $$ sorting things out - so you don't have to.

On 2/24/2019 at 4:42 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

Have you ended up doing anything @Gabe79

Have a read over this thread: 

E53 is a great vehicle  - Greg's description of it being like a high-riding E38 is probably not far wrong. BUT like lots of old BMWs they can be a money pit so PPI, MBI are a must unless you'll be doing the work yourself. If you're going to get one, either buy one you really like and look after it ($$), or (eek) treat it as disposable ?

Service history is highly desirable to see if some muppet like me has spent all the $$ sorting things out - so you don't have to.

Thanks for the input Peter. I haven't done anything here. My parents have been using my e39, and aside from not being able to sell it because it's actively in use... they've done me the favour of reducing its resale value on me. :)  (it has a lot more scrapes and bumps than it did when they arrived 3 months ago, and I have a frankenbumper now thanks to my dad being used to driving a 4runner back home...)

We've had some family stuff happening, that makes us think our 2nd car should really really have 7 seats. We're likely going the way of a Highlander, or an Outlander at this stage. I expect to be listing my e39 imminently, warts and all.

Edited by Gabe79
7 seats, not 4.

9 hours ago, qube said:

^interested in the e39 :)

Really? I'll message you today.