Sign in to follow this  
wrs

Fenix Radiator Failure

A few days ago the Fenix Race1180 radiator I put in when installing a new engine around August 2016 started to leak from some of the cores where they connect to the tanks. Reading some of the other topics here it appears I shouldn't be surprised.

The frustrating thing is the total lack of response from Fenix. I emailed them twice last week from the contact info on their website. After 5 days of no reply I called them only to be told the email address I used was an old one and not checked anymore. Sorry, guys, why is your main contact email not up-to-date on your website? I was told they'd found the emails and would respond first thing this morning. No surprise, I didn't have any email or phone contact today... I've written Fenix support off as useless and their products appear to be somewhat sub-standard.

Since Fenix appears to currently have a pretty bad reputation and because they haven't bothered to contact me for nearly a week I purchased a replacement radiator from Silverdale Radiators which arrived overnight (Fastways screwed up and I had to get it from the depot). It's now installed so hopefully no more issues. I went with a BMW04 model. Longer term (and if the BMW04 doesn't provide enough cooling) I'll consider the Mishimoto MMRAD-E36-92X but at over $900 it will be a last resort.

The Fenix radiator appears to have actually failed due to a manufacturing fault. There is no corrosion internally and all the core tubes look like new with none of the telltale signs of thinning out due to corrosion. The inside of the radiator is as clean as new.

I'm sharing my experience in case it's helpful to anyone else considering Fenix for their cooling solution.

Edited by wrs

yea its pretty well known by now that fenix radiators are just poor products but marketed in a way that suggests otherwise.

lack of support is a pretty clear evidence of dont care after its sold mentality imo.

silverdale radiators seems to be all good and a good alternative to buying genuine or OEM as shipping sometimes kills it for big items to come from overseas.

Im sure i read on here one of the members used to work there and said not to buy them. 

• Haha 1

A radiator should last more than 2.5 years so the warranty period doesn't matter, you're covered by the CGA.

If they don't respond file a small claims dispute for the value of the radiator, you should get a court order for a refund.

• Like 1

Yea, avoid fenix - especially when a failure in the cooling system can cost you alot more damage to other things if not noticed in time.

I finally got hold of someone helpful at Fenix. They organised to pick up the radiator and transport to Auckland so it could be assessed.

Below are photo's of the inside after it's cut open. I don't know if they look good or bad. To me the inside looks pretty reasonable but Fenix is claiming the radiator has bad corrosion damage and won't come to the party in any way. I'd be interested in the thoughts from anyone experienced with aluminum radiator failures...

The radiator had failed at the cold end but was showing signs of weeping from the core tubes at the hot end too.

Hot Inlet end:

wbqtjp.jpg

Cold Outlet End:

2e17sck.jpg

Edited by wrs

What coolant do you use? Looks more brown in there than expected but can't say I have opened a radiator up in a while.

Distilled water and Redline water wetter only.

Since you have a line of communication put the onus on them to theorise... because it would have cost them less to replace it already.

Ask them what might cause this "corrosion" in 18 months if only distilled water and wetter was used... see what they say and whether they blame you (explicitly).

• Like 2

Very good point from @B.M.W Ltd there - something I was warned about when I put a fully aluminium radiator in but had since forgotten.

Don't offer it up as a possible explanation though.