Sign in to follow this  
HELLBM

Could be a Bargin 135i $1 Reserve

Is it necessary/wise to ask why a vehicle has been re-registered or are there lots of innocent reasons?

I'm assuming that if it was previously bent beyond economical repair or pulled from the bottom of a lake the buyer should be entitled to the privilege of that info. Is that a fair assumption?

Or is it just caveat emptor?

There are some pretty innocuous reasons why cars are de-registered, long term stored with owner overseas, forgot to put it on hold, etc. However, that is a good question, personally I would check things like that before buying a car, as part of due dilligence. Not all buyers are so switched on to background checks etc, and might not think to ask about such things. I think in terms of the laws on a private sale it is buyer beware, and even if you specifically ask and get told "she's all good" I'm not sure if there is anything you can do about it.

Personally, when selling cars the amount I reveal is directly related to how much of a know-all bell-end the buyer is being, if they are trying to talk up issues they read about on the internet to get the price down then I tell them nothing if not directly asked. If they are more innocent then I tend to be more open, even told a guy that a car wasn't for him once as he was a nice family guy without much cash about to buy a polished turd off me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, qube said:

its Ryans old car

Was sold by Ryan and then stolen from the following owner, not sure what happened after it was recovered.

6 hours ago, qube said:

a 130i is worth anywhere between 6-12k these days depending on condition and options. I dont think anyone ever thought that a 135i was worth double a 130i. When I bought my 130i, I paid 15k and sold for 12k. At that time a 135i was 18-22k. 

They didnt verbalise it this way, but the prices above were infact suggesting this type of uplift from the model below it. I guess its largely personal and sometimes irrational into why people value things they way they do. Im just suggesting one metric that I would use and perhaps others too.

On the going rates, an Expired Listings search (you have to be logged in) on TM suggests very little interest in NZ for 135i's, certainly at the 15k+ end:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?from=advanced&advanced=true&searchstring=135i+bmw&current=0&cid=268&rptpath=1-268-&sort_order=default&searchregion=100

We dont need to conceptualise as much as being suggested here, you can see the pricing publicly for the recent past.

Edited by mattsimis