Sign in to follow this  
NZ_InFerno

Number of BMWs of a specific model in NZ

So after visiting Winger BMW and being told that my car wasn't sold in NZ, and that only 30 130i models were sold new here, I got curious and wanted to know how many 3 door(E81) 130i there are in NZ. 

And the answer is Two ?

Tag along to find out how I found this out:

The service guy at Winger suggested I ask NZTA about numbers, so I was on their site today for an unrelated matter and remembered about my query. So I clicked on the motor vehicle registry and the NZTA provide an open database of every vehicle registered in NZ!

https://opendata-nzta.opendata.arcgis.com/datasets/motor-vehicle-register

Clicking on the data tab at the top you can filter by the various column headings and search them, so I started off with BMW as the Make column and 130i as the Model column, which gives 587 entries for a 130i in NZ.

I then used realoem.com to select various productions months of the E81 model to find out the 4th-7th digits of the vin code(I also did this with the 5 door E87 to confirm the codes in the database). Adding that code onto the first 3 numbers of the vin from this sheet, and then entering it into the CHASSIS7 column(or VIN11) search, results in the two E81 130i registered in NZ. 

Now this is only as good as the info that has been put in, ie how the registration form has been filled in. Should work for every car, enjoy

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 1

the other one  3 door is white with a black stripe running down off centre. 

Located in auckland last time it was for sale, not sure now since its sold.

I think it had brown leather but not 100% sure if my memory is correct. The kms were over 100,000 also.

nothing special and after it was sold the first time it came back up for sale not long after and disappeared again.

You definitely have a rare car for sure.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, qube said:

the other one  3 door is white with a black stripe running down off centre. 

Located in auckland last time it was for sale, not sure now since its sold.

I think it had brown leather but not 100% sure if my memory is correct. The kms were over 100,000 also.

nothing special and after it was sold the first time it came back up for sale not long after and disappeared again.

You definitely have a rare car for sure.

I saw that on trademe, those stripes were gross

Thanks for the link to the NZTA motor vehicle register. I've been after this sort of data access for a while and have had a fun morning digging through it all.

• Like 1

A key point in the background info..   Vehicles belonging to individuals with a confidential listing have not been included.

So anyone that has requested their information to be private and confidential will not have their vehicles included in this data. This is now being adopted more and more often.

Still a useful tool to play with though.

• Thanks 1

Nothing wrong with that. Your more of a man admitting you are able to have other options when choosing a vehicle that suites your needs rather that just badge buying. Your wallet will like it ?

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

So anyone that has requested their information to be private and confidential will not have their vehicles included in this data.

That explains why I cannot find mine in there... Discovered this database about 6 months ago.

22 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

I saw that on trademe, those stripes were gross

Whole car was a bit gross, listing was withdrawn by the dealer, and then popped back a few months later at a muccch lower price point.

Of the 30 NZ new 130s, only 12 are manuals.. Less NZ New 130s than 1Ms! 

• Like 1

Is there an up-to-date version of this? Would like to know production numbers myself

• Like 1

10 hours ago, boyish said:

Is there an up-to-date version of this? Would like to know production numbers myself

Which production numbers, the totals produced for the whole world, or numbers built specifically for NZ?

8 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Which production numbers, the totals produced for the whole world, or numbers built specifically for NZ?

Built specifically for Nz 

11 hours ago, Jacko said:

Looking for production numbers of 4.6is’ in Nz. That link doesn’t work for me for some reason

That link (if you get it to work) won’t show you how many 4.6is were built for NZ, it will only show how many 4.6is are still registered in NZ and the owners have their information details set to public.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1