Sign in to follow this  
Trigga

Automatic Transmission Warning Light e36 328i

E36 328i vert, 171kms

Getting transmission warning light, tends to throw light when revved to just over 2k to change gear - and will hold in 3rd a bit longer than 1st-2nd, before changing to 4th-5th

When car is driven harder - rev over 3k and then let it change - doesnt throw light up - even when driven for long periods - then when driven like a grandma light thrown

When diagnosed first, diag scan threw out cam angle sensor code - changed for new sensor, car runs smoother now revs out to 7k hard, light didnt come on for a good 30min.

Now getting transmission warning light again, but new code is for "Knock sensor 3" - still no CEL - only trans light - not throwing out cam sensor code any longer (WTF?)

Side note not sure if I can hear a very very slight millisecond miss at 2k under load when cruising then put under load 

Disconnected the battery this morning, will reconnect when home and see if light still coming, also going to check plugs and do an oil change over weekend

However still confused at why I am only getting a transmission light (and limp mode) and no CEL light if the knock sensor is sensing knocking? (Also WTF?), and why the knock code wasnt showing before the cam sensor change?

So much conflicting information floating about on the interwebs about voltage issues, alternators, blah blah blah causing the cam sensor issue - which I have changed out, now still getting the light

Advice/opinions appreciated

#germanengineering

What are you scanning it with?

Scanned by Auto Trans in akl, not sure what he used, had a tablet with software and a bluetooth scanner, have a printout will review when get home if has software or whatever

Second scan done with hand tool but different software

You reckon the software is accurate?

Edited by Trigga

while yes there are some variation in quality of tool/software, the biggest variable is the brain on the operator.

The guy from auto trans worked at BM workshop previously so trusted his logic re cam sensor, replaced, now its a different read?

Sounds ok on the scanner front then. Is the car a jap import? They did fit a OEM or genuine sensor?

The cam sensor fault may of been masking the current one or caused the current one,  maybe something else malfunctioning but not throwing a code but causing the transmission to act up, maybe someone the disturbed sensor wiring etc when working on it. Are you saying the knock fault code appears in engine computer but triggers the transmission light,limp mode etc but with no fault code in the transmission computer?. Your description of what its doing and when is hard for me to follow but internet diagnosis with problems like these isn't very good i'm afraid

Either way make id sure all the ignition system is functioning properly first, check the sensors, wiring and plugs for components etc

look forward to hearing what the problem turns out to be.

Have had no CEL

Only trans light

This is the sensor https://www.partzonline.co.nz/engine-camshaft-position-sensor-cam037-p-111985.html

Its a euro spec nz new

Have only diagnosed from OBD under the hood havent gone to TCU - where is it located? The OBD printout is uploaded from 1st scan, some old codes included, when cleared, only cam fault came back.

Is there someone who is advisable to take the car to in akl? 

9EA18C4A-192F-4691-BF5F-9EF658BC7648.jpeg

Gave the maf a blast with some crc maf cleaner and it ran fine for 5km or so then gearbox light

Doesn't say what brand it is but aftermarket sensors are well known to cause many issues in BMW's 

Forgot to say it but euro spec E36's never had check engine lights as far as i know

The OBD plug can access all the systems. Unless you are asking where the physical TCU module is located?

You don't have the second scan printout im guessing? 

No printout from the second scan however  it didnt show the cam sensor on it.

The company assured me that it was an oem part they buy from the oem manufacturer and repackage

Can anyone confirm how many knock sensors does the m52b28 have is it 2 or 3 as it said knock sensor 3 on the second scan and I assume that is the knock sensor for 5-6 at the back of the motor?

Should be 2x sensors off the same connector, 1 for each bank of cylinders ie 1-3, 4-6. Im assuming 3 relates to this without having seen it.