Sign in to follow this  
Bazza5er

Wheel speed sensor issues

I have a 2000 e39 530i, it gave a code for right rear speed sensor, which has been replaced. Code reset, had come back.

I have access to a scanner and have been using live data and the right rear speed sensor is not reading at all, what would be the best test to try next so I can hopefully get an answer for this. Something as simple as a broken wire somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Reset / clear the fault code. With ignition on, tap the ABS module. If the light comes on with same fault code, it's the module

• Like 3

On 2/16/2019 at 7:02 AM, B.M.W Ltd said:

Reset / clear the fault code. With ignition on, tap the ABS module. If the light comes on with same fault code, it's the module

The code comes straight back after erasing it.

1 hour ago, Bazza5er said:

The code comes straight back after erasing it.

Without driving it ?

43 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Without driving it ?

Yup. The code will only go away if its fully cold, like leaving it overnight then it comes on after a few minutes of driving. Would the heat in the engine bay be causing the module to play up?

1 minute ago, Bazza5er said:

Yup. The code will only go away if its fully cold, like leaving it overnight then it comes on after a few minutes of driving. Would the heat in the engine bay be causing the module to play up?

That's a sure bet it's the module. I was going to suggest taking the module off and putting it in the fridge. The module can be repaired.

1 minute ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

That's a sure bet it's the module. I was going to suggest taking the module off and putting it in the fridge. The module can be repaired.

Do you recommend anyone? I'm located in Taranaki, dont suppose you know of anyone locally who is capable of doing such a repair?

Do they need the whole unit or just the electrical side?

Just remove the module. Unplug it and 6 screws. You can still drive the car and the brakes will still work... but that is still illegal (your choice)

I can give you a phone number for a repairer up here in Auckland. My other contact has closed down now. Pm me or phone 021921377

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Brand new ones used to be pretty cheap on mafshop.de - I got one for about NZ$600 landed??? from memory and a few years back!

I would do a continuity test from the module plug before jumping in and removing the module. Not uncommon to have a broken/chafed wire 

10 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

I would do a continuity test from the module plug before jumping in and removing the module. Not uncommon to have a broken/chafed wire 

To be sure do as Doug suggests

https://www.google.com/search?q=Pin+outs+for+E39+ABS+module&rlz=1C1CHZL_enNZ752NZ752&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=t9wmskC8q1Z7hM%3A%2C_er9OzfNacpf1M%2C_&usg=AI4_-kR0h-epc2

If continuity is there try the tap test when the module is cold

Edited by B.M.W Ltd