Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Limited edition Euros.

Damn shame about the papers for the Maser, and the whole NZTA 'don't want to know' attitude around such things.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, gjm said:

Damn shame about the papers for the Maser, and the whole NZTA 'don't want to know' attitude around such things.

Note the taped over plates... ;)

1 hour ago, gjm said:

Not so sure about NZTA not wanting to know, the onus is always on the importer to provide the information to meet the requirements. There are too many "cowboy" importers that buy things without checking and then try and bullshit their way through the system. Unfortunately there also appear to be a number of cowboy compliance agents that either don't know the rules or are easily persuaded to put things through even though they shouldn't.

Hopefully the review at NZTA will catch a few more of these outfits out.

The fact that this car has plates on it but hasn't been registered suggests to me the owner has a very liberal view of the whole process.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Not so sure about NZTA not wanting to know, the onus is always on the importer to provide the information to meet the requirements. There are too many "cowboy" importers that buy things without checking and then try and bullshit their way through the system. Unfortunately there also appear to be a number of cowboy compliance agents that either don't know the rules or are easily persuaded to put things through even though they shouldn't.

Hopefully the review at NZTA will catch a few more of these outfits out.

The fact that this car has plates on it but hasn't been registered suggests to me the owner has a very liberal view of the whole process.

One disadvantage of looking at stuff on my oil-burning phone is I tend not to check pictures. Hadn't noticed the taped plates.

Those BiTurbos are awesome cars. I'd love to have another. 

17 minutes ago, gjm said:

One disadvantage of looking at stuff on my oil-burning phone is I tend not to check pictures. Hadn't noticed the taped plates.

Those BiTurbos are awesome cars. I'd love to have another. 

Yeah the biturbos are a cool looking car, that seller has a 430 as well.

That Maserati interior hasn't aged well at all. Nice car to look at no way id want to own and run one.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Can't believe no one has mentioned the Maserati roof wing ?

That's because no-one would keep it!

That Maserati is my sorta weird arse project, but with no way to get it on the road its as good as scrap.

9 hours ago, Jacko said:

Yeah, XS2545 - the ones that are supposed to be on the red 430. There's also a taped off badge, guessing it has 430 on it too :D 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, KwS said:

That Maserati is my sorta weird arse project, but with no way to get it on the road its as good as scrap.

Late 80s Italian luxury car, been sitting for a long time with little to no use... would need to be a real passionate (read knowledgeable / got lots of parts already) fan to take either of those cars on. I wonder what the parts availability would be like on those, possibly third-party, electrics, switches, etc. might be common across some other brands might be obtainable, but any Maserati specific parts would be hard to find and big-$$$ I would suggest.

27 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Late 80s Italian luxury car, been sitting for a long time with little to no use... would need to be a real passionate (read knowledgeable / got lots of parts already) fan to take either of those cars on. I wonder what the parts availability would be like on those, possibly third-party, electrics, switches, etc. might be common across some other brands might be obtainable, but any Maserati specific parts would be hard to find and big-$$$ I would suggest.

The BiTurbos have a massive international following, probably because they are regarded as an affordable piece of Italian exotica.
Engine and body parts aren't as easy to find, but electrics, trim and pretty much everything else is readily available.
In terms of complexity, they're not a complicated car. An E90 is far worse.
Reliability is good too, once you look past dodgy window switches and the like.

• Like 2

The other advantages of the Maser is that they are self-recycling in the way that they are predisposed to returning to earth.

Coupling that with Italian reliability and electronics, and you get to realise the third efficiency:

emptying your wallet like (insert your favorite similie here).

ultimately a kitschy 80’s Box with little merit in today’s world.

I’ll get me coat, then.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Olaf said:

The other advantages of the Maser is that they are self-recycling in the way that they are predisposed to returning to earth.

Coupling that with Italian reliability and electronics, and you get to realise the third efficiency:

emptying your wallet like (insert your favorite similie here).

ultimately a kitschy 80’s Box with little merit in today’s world.

I’ll get me coat, then.

I still want it ?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, KwS said:

I still want it ?

Me too.

@Olaf is living his dream with Grey Thunder... Now it's our turn! :D 

• Haha 1

Grey Thunder is more 'girl next door' ? ?   The Biturbo is that supermodel's sister you lusted for, and she's out of rehab, takes her meds infrequently, and hasn't been taking care of herself; she'll lead you astray and then cast you aside, wrecked.

Can't deny a man his dreams!   Though these threads on Retro Rides make somewhat sobering reading.  

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/203380/1988-maserati-biturbo-late-arrival 

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/195267/1992-maserati-222-4v 

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/181696/another-maserati-biturbo-build-say 

http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/175233/82-maserati-biturbo-coupe 

now this is the one you *really* want to see for heroic dedication: http://forum.retro-rides.org/thread/37171/xbolx-blog-2016-fleet-update?q=maserati 

Edited by Olaf
  • Haha 1

I know from experience the cost of having to import every part gets adds up real quick.