Sign in to follow this  
Dom.

OBD2 Cable Supplier?

Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has a link to an OBD2 cable which will work to flash my '07 335i (preferably sourced within NZ) - just looking to see if anyone has had any luck with cheaper alternatives, or am I better to buy a more expensive one from Bimmergeeks / one of their competitors?

Cheers

I have one of these that i used on my E91. MHD and XHP worked fine, but I could never get any other OBD2 software, INPA, Carly etc to see the DME. Didnt work out why.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/accessories/listing-1952493547.htm?rsqid=0ed7ac2b91424e5bb7bb13a738837e85

Edited by KwS

8 hours ago, KwS said:

I have one of these that i used on my E91. MHD and XHP worked fine, but I could never get any other OBD2 software, INPA, Carly etc to see the DME. Didnt work out why.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/accessories/listing-1952493547.htm?rsqid=0ed7ac2b91424e5bb7bb13a738837e85

Exactly what I was looking for - thank you. I'm only looking to use it for MHD and xHP at this point as well. Don't suppose you recall how long shipping took?

Appreciate the help - have ordered one and will update with a link to it if it works :)

On 2/21/2019 at 11:31 AM, Dom. said:

Appreciate the help - have ordered one and will update with a link to it if it works :)

Did this work for you Dom?

What did you end up flashing? MHD?

22 hours ago, Tij said:

Did this work for you Dom?

What did you end up flashing? MHD?

Hey Trent,

Sorry, completely forgot about this thread. Cable is working fine and came in 1-2 days. Car is reading it perfectly. This is the one I bought:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/meters-testers/listing-2045036176.htm?rsqid=41da1ce40a654712b95fb04e31027e7a-002

I intend on flashing MHD and xHP but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thought I'd better play it safe and have swapped in new spark plugs and coils in the meantime, as well as a new battery. At this stage once I install my chargepipe tomorrow I'll be ready to flash MHD stage 1 - just need to find a battery charger first ?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dom. said:

Hey Trent,

Sorry, completely forgot about this thread. Cable is working fine and came in 1-2 days. Car is reading it perfectly. This is the one I bought:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/meters-testers/listing-2045036176.htm?rsqid=41da1ce40a654712b95fb04e31027e7a-002

I intend on flashing MHD and xHP but haven't gotten around to it yet. Thought I'd better play it safe and have swapped in new spark plugs and coils in the meantime, as well as a new battery. At this stage once I install my chargepipe tomorrow I'll be ready to flash MHD stage 1 - just need to find a battery charger first ?

Awesome thanks for the link and feedback on the cable. Always good to get something through a NZ source if I can - which is not often haha. 

You are litteraly at the same stage I am, working on maintenance items ATM too so that a tune goes well, tossing up a walnut blast and I also was hitting up my friends for a battery charger, I have a 12v one but don't want to risk it. 

I'd be really keen to hear how it goes for you, Im working on a 07 n54 as well ?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tij said:

Awesome thanks for the link and feedback on the cable. Always good to get something through a NZ source if I can - which is not often haha. 

You are litteraly at the same stage I am, working on maintenance items ATM too so that a tune goes well, tossing up a walnut blast and I also was hitting up my friends for a battery charger, I have a 12v one but don't want to risk it. 

I'd be really keen to hear how it goes for you, Im working on a 07 n54 as well ?

Where do you guys source your plugs/coils from? NZ supplier or overseas? I've ordered a cable but also thinking I should probably look at doing some of those service items first.

3 hours ago, marmel said:

Where do you guys source your plugs/coils from? NZ supplier or overseas? I've ordered a cable but also thinking I should probably look at doing some of those service items first.

I got mine from FCPEuro in the states. Super fast shipping with reasonable rates (them sending to me directly was cheaper than using NZPost Youshop). Parts arrived in 3 days.

If you're doing the work yourself I strongly recommend that you get the magnetic spark plug socket from BMS. I did it with one I got off FCP Euro with my plugs and regret it - the rubber ring that the cheaper ones use to grip the plug is far too snug and the socket ends up stuck to the plug, meaning you can't pull it off via the extension. Ended up having to carefully pull the socket off each plug with a pair of really long pliers. I've just ordered the magnetic one myself (for the next time I need it) - having it sent to Youshop to forward to me as their rates are ridiculous. 

Every part (including wear items like plugs and coils) from them also comes with a lifetime warranty.

@Tij I got a quote for a walnut blast too, but given my car is fairly low mileage they suggested that I just wait until I have 60-70,000km on it beforehand. If you're above that, from everything I've read on other forums it sounds like it would definitely be worthwhile. I'll let you know how I get on ?

Edited by Dom.
  • Like 2

I've just ordered one from the link Dom provided.

I'm sure INPA will be quite a step up from using the torque app.

• Like 1