Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

My 650i just had an awakening

So, my S.O was in an accident beginning of Feb, and the insurance has declared the car a total loss (considerable, given that it's only 1.5 years old, and was purchased brand new). So we have been car hunting. We test drove a slew of new cars on the weekend (Grand Cherokee, Jag E-Pace, BMW X3) and overall the Jeep was the most comfortable, the BMW the most engaging, and the Jag the most...well...generic.

Not the topic of this post though. Today I test drove two pre-owned cars...a 2011 550i GT and a 2015 X5 50i. Both use the same N63 engine as my 6-er, albeit the N63TU in the X5. I was rather unhappy with the drives because BOTH drove BETTER than my 6-er. It's like the 5 and x5 we running on double-cream, and my 6-er was running on water with metal beads. Not great at all.

This evening I hooked her up to ISTA+ and began a 2-hour long diagnostic session. I tested the engine for misfires, rough running, fuel mix, injector performance, fuel pressure, air intake, ignition coil functioning...the works. Finished off with a reset and relearn all adaption functions related to the DME. I also re-calibrated the EDC with new measurements and re-learned the dynamic drive defaults. Waited 15 minutes and took her for a test drive.

Holy hell...the difference is night and day. Acceleration is smooth, linear and with zero hesitation. No shaking, no juddering, smooth idle and the ride is considerably more comfortable. Even the exhaust note is improved, from Eco Pro all the way through Sport+. Incredible result, and can't wait to take her on the motorway tomorrow to do some higher-speed testing.

Moral of the story, if you have an F series BMW that's not running quite right...get an ESYS cable and run some tests. There's pretty much nothing you can break using ISTA+. 

( I have a spare cable and software discs available if anyone is interested. $50)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hugo_nz said:

I also re-calibrated the EDC with new measurements and re-learned the dynamic drive defaults

Where do these hide? Dynamic drive defaults in particular?

Some screenshots would be handy.

Thoughts on the X5? I have two years to run on my warranty and I keep eyeing them up. 

2 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Thoughts on the X5? I have two years to run on my warranty and I keep eyeing them up. 

We'll 99% be taking the X5 home next week ?