Sign in to follow this  
R33BMW

E46 318i HID lights swap

Hey guys, so i recently bought some xenon headlights for my facelift e46. They came off an E46 wagon. I was about to replace them but then i realised, these xenon lights have an extra plug on the ballist. These have a total of 5 plugs. The xenon bulb, the high beam, the small bulb, the light positioning plug( to move the beam up or down) and then there is an extra plug on that goes into the ballist ( the small grey plug) shown in the pic. I have tried plugging the lights and they do work but could someone help me as i dont want to leave it unplugged and wanna know what its for. Also should i take the wiring out from that wagon or can i just get the plug from that and wire into my existing car witing. Thanks alot for you help!

image.jpg

• Like 1

As your car didn't have xenons before it may not have the sensor, wiring  and module from the front suspension to the headlight motors so as the car hits bumps in the road the headlights are being adjusted to avoid dazzling on coming  motorists. Maybe the empty socket could be for that. If the wiring etc is not present on your car and you wish to do this correctly pay the wagon another visit and remove the parts needed. Should be on the front strut i believe best of luck. Oh be careful mucking about with these lights they have some high voltage present when operating.  

https://www.google.com/search?q=rear+images+xenon+lights+e46&rlz=1C1GGRV_enNZ784NZ784&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=iTCSCpumMbOwLM%3A%2CndPspK1BG-vG3M%2C_&usg=AI4_-kRQloMmctHrmbarqFQ18CmODXtUTw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrpaCsstvgAhWvgUsFHet9AEwQ9QEwAXoECAUQBg#imgrc=iTCSCpumMbOwLM:

One of the pins is for bi-xenon. - the “low” beam will change by the way of a shutter to aid the performance of the high beam.  - this is of course, if it is a bi- xenon light ( it’s written around the low beam lens). You need connect it to either the light switch module or directly tag it onto the high beam +wire. 

the other pin is used for dianostics. Not required except if you have a fault etc!

third pin - not used. 

Check WDS for the pin outs. Note the model of the donor car.. there is a few different versions depending on year..

If you fit and use them I’d advise covering that socket ( or fit the plug) as if water gets in, it runs into the control unit and will fry it. Trust me I know! And they are expensive to replace!

23 minutes ago, Dogballs said:

One of the pins is for bi-xenon. - the “low” beam will change by the way of a shutter to aid the performance of the high beam.  - this is of course, if it is a bi- xenon light ( it’s written around the low beam lens). You need connect it to either the light switch module or directly tag it onto the high beam +wire. 

the other pin is used for dianostics. Not required except if you have a fault etc!

third pin - not used. 

Check WDS for the pin outs. Note the model of the donor car.. there is a few different versions depending on year..

If you fit and use them I’d advise covering that socket ( or fit the plug) as if water gets in, it runs into the control unit and will fry it. Trust me I know! And they are expensive to replace!

It doesn’t say bi- xenon around the lense and these are the three wires that go to that small connector on the ballist. Grey, white/red and the pink seems to be going to the high beam. I took out the small plugs from the wagon but not sure where i need to connect them. There are three pins but only a single wire comes out of the plug.

8BEEC05C-3110-4E3B-99AD-F7AC203DEE7B.jpeg

471A991D-34FB-4625-9BE3-AFB60C2E6AF1.jpeg

Ok, that’s the bus wire. You don’t need to connect it for the lights to operate. It’s used for diagnostics. 

Oh and you will need to recode your LZM other wise they won’t function and you’ll get bulb fault errors on the dash..

I plugged one light in for about a min, nothing came up and was working fine. Will see if faults come up when i plug em both in. In case they do, will get em re-coded. thanks mate

Havent plugged em since mate. Just wetsanding and clearcoating the lense. Will install em and update the form by the end of this coming week

Do you mean the outer cover lense of the headight? If so best of luck with a bit of mucking around these lense can be removed and swapped.

Yup the outer clear cover, normally I would just get a new cover but this isnt too bad, just minor scratches. Wanna make em look new before i put them on the car.