Sign in to follow this  
Kumar

Recommendation for economy tyres (245/40/18)

I am planning to replace tyres in next few months on my E61 (245/40/18). I hardly use it once a week for grocery stores (in last 3.5 years, I have put less than 10K kilometers on it), so I am thinking putting economy non RFT tyres instead of high performance RF's. Can anyone recommend on any  (like Altenzo Sports Comforter or GOODRIDE SA07? 

Happy for you to let me know if you don't recommend economy tyres ?

I am in Wellington.

Bridgestone RE003.

Please, don’t put sh*t tyres on your capable German car.  There’s no coincidence that wreckers observe a good proportion of their custom from BMWs equipped with rubbish rubber!

The RE003 is reasonably priced, performs well on e60, brilliant in the wet, sticky enough yet give reasonable wear too.

The difference in grip and braking distance between a decent tyre and a cheap shitty tyre will be marked in the pedestrian you may well hit on the cheap tyres in an emergency stop. The few dollars saved won’t seem worth it, then.

• Like 2

i had altenzo sports comforters on an old car and nearly slid to my death on a wet day.

never again.

there is a fine line between quality economy tyres and cheapshit dangerous rubbers pretending to be tyres.

• Like 3

You don't need to use a crap brand to get (relatively) inexpensive tyres (FWIW I consider "Goodride" a crap brand). And if you don't need a high performance tyre don't pay for something you won't use.

Toyo Proxy C1 (245/40/18) - $185**

Pirelli Dragon Sport (245/40/18) - $239

Both of which are pretty-much bottom of the range (for the respective brands) but still way, way better than an off-brand tyre.

I have the Pirelli's on my 328 and they're fit-for-purpose but I would not put them on my M3. I don't know if the Toyo's existed when I got the Pirelli's but now knowing they exist I would consider them in the future (for the 328).

Prices above are from Hyperdrive** although I'm not recommending that franchise in particular... and I'm also sure there are other tyre options that people will suggest you consider.

**1. They appear to have 20% off for today only - Pirelli's are excluded, Toyo's seem to be included (https://www.hyperdrive.co.nz/pages/terms-conditions)

**2. Buy one get one half price on Toyo's apparently (https://www.hyperdrive.co.nz/pages/terms-conditions)

Many places will price match.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

Wet grip is where good rubber shines and is where you want\need it especially if you can't actually correct a slide. Traction control cannot defy the laws of physics either as some fools who fit 'whatever is the cheapest' have found out.

Mid range wise using Hyper website - Ive used Achilles Atr Sport 2, Toyo Proxy C1 and Pirelli Dragon Sport, all which would be suitable for your requirements and have proven credentials.

agreed with most of the comments above. Poor brand budget tires may seem alright in the dry but perform horribly in the wet. You don't need to break the bank for good enough tires but you should consider tires that match the car and keep you safe also. +1 on RE003 and the lower end models of Pirelli's, Toyo's, Falken's etc. I'd say Michelin too but lets be real, non of their tires are inexpensive. 

Toyo T1S at Hyper is a great deal at the moment @ $185 each.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for the valuable feedback. The price on Toyo Proxy C1 & Toyo T1S is great but they only got 1 of each in stock or not sure if the system only allows 1 per user as they are doing 20% off end of month 1-day sale.

*I was able to buy one of each Toyo Proxy C1 & Toyo T1S in 1 order. Then Placed a second order on my wife's name for one of each tyre. If both the orders go thru, I will end up with 2 sets of different models. I will put one model on front and one on rear.

Edited by miamikk
  • Like 1

Argh, it's just a bug on Hyper's website.  You should contact them and get them to change it to 4x T1S...

agreed. i would much rather have a matching set of 4 tyres and t1sports are good for the price

wow can get a prx-c1s in 225 40 18 for $102.. but will only let me take 1.

remember to add the code "GSTFREE" for 15% extra off....

I think you'll find the 'HALFPRICE' deal is better than GST off... not sure how it will get calculated if you can only add one tyre to the cart though.

The "Toyo T1sport 245/40R18" was $184.99 this morning and with 20% Off 1-day end of month coupon, I was able to get it for $147.99.   Now the price is down to $150.99 and with "GSTFREE" 15% off, it comes to $128.34 per tyre.

They called and advised they only had 1 tyre in stock and cancelled my 2nd order. But it does not show out of stock on the website and allows to order again. Pretty weird.

That might be their way of attracting punters, who then upsell themselves on the basis of “only one in stock”.  Happened to me a while back; I keep my business local in Wellington, still get decent pricing.  

YMMV

edit:  try Auto 38 in Newtown tell Jon you’re on Bimmersport.

worth talking with Kelvin at Bridgestone Torrens Tce also.

Edited by Olaf
Recommendations

Bugger, I was sure it was a website bug as I had that with another tyre a while back :(  The Toyo was a bit too good a deal!

RE003s, bang for buck winners. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

RE003s, bang for buck winners. 

FWIW, two years ago (without disclosing too much of discounting), my bill for 4 in the size you seek - on the car - was well under $300 per corner.  Dunno what the current street price is.

Edited by Olaf

I paid $1100 for 4 235/35/19s RE003s a few months. Tonys Tyre Service. 

• Like 1

35R19's?  Wow, that's very good, yeah?

that is good. i paid about 1500 for a set of staggered RE003 18s at tonys :(

12+ months later...

Any updated thoughts, same subject? Toyo Proxes T1R directionals seem cost competitive, I've never used them, any experience?

Considering what 18" tyres to eventually pop on the 130. I don't need Michelin or even Goodyear F1 quality but I want to give it something better than the Pirelli Dragon Sports I put on the 328.

I'm considering either 215/40/18 + 245/35/18 or 225/40/18 + 255/35/18 or 235/40/18 square, undecided at the moment but tending towards the first option.

Whats wrong with the dragon sports? had them on my 116i and they were perfect.

I also had the Laufenn LK01's on the M135, also put them on my E46, and have them now on the mini. Cheap and plenty good enough for me for daily driving and took them on road trips around north island no problems.

I am not a fan of direction tyres but personal preference. I believe the Toyos are good but not long lasting. Soft compound I think..

Re tyre size, I think it largely depends on your wheel width if its square or staggered. I like the idea of 235/40/18 square but otherwise you could even do 225/40/18 and 245/35/18. (Have a play around with sizes in relation to prices, it can vary quite a bit!)

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with the Pirellis but I don't consider them a sport tyre, my 328 could spin them up with a slippy gearbox, and they're loud. But I want something more sticky for the 130.

Wheels are 7.5 and 8.5 but I'm not a particular fan of a square setup on a RWD, that's my least preferred option. I've got the M3 wheels on it at the moment which are 225/255, they're great but the steering feels vague compared to the 205's they replaced up front. I think the 215/245 combo might be the best option but that limits choice further.

For the 130 I probably wouldn't let the tread pattern sway me one way the other. I can mix and match with Goodyear or Pirelli, perhaps others, but only at the top end which is too rich for my blood. Could pick up a fitted set of Toyos directionals for $1000 but I don't actually need them now, just researching. 

Edited by M3AN