Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

Android Screen Replacement

So I decided the NBT and EVO retrofits were both too compromised for me to consider but still wanted a more up to date system. Enter the Android screen replacement. I have been following Avin's progress in releasing theirs for months, but was put off by their final price. So I tracked down the OEM (I believe) who's head-units I have also used in other cars before. I paid just over US$500 for the unit, shipped and landed. Installed this evening and while the install was simple enough their very simplified installation instructions neglect to mention that the iDrive controller needs to be looped in too. Either way, will post my install photos tomorrow and do video review of the unit in the coming days. For now here's a photo of the finished look.

20190305_215739.jpg

Edited by hugo_nz
  • Like 1

I am interested to hear your detailed thoughts in this after a few days of using it. There is a massive thread on one of the American forums covering their use in the E70. Some have found them good some have found no end of problems. 

Looks like an attractive way to get CarPlay. 

On 3/6/2019 at 11:54 AM, NZ BMW said:

I am interested to hear your detailed thoughts in this after a few days of using it. There is a massive thread on one of the American forums covering their use in the E70. Some have found them good some have found no end of problems. 

Looks like an attractive way to get CarPlay. 

So the unit is not bad at all. I have made a video talking about the 5 things I love and hate about it. Overall it's a decent piece of kit and yeah, it's a nice way to get Apple Car Play. I removed mine from the 6er because the screen is glossy to the point of being useless with the roof down. Going to be doing an NBT retrofit soon ?

Link to the video: 

Thanks for the video, great review. I think you’re right it’s still got some rough edges. However for me, upgrading from a CCC just about anything would be better you would think. 

My current solution is to run an external Bluetooth dongle to my Aux and stream my phone to that. Mind you, that solution was about $50 when I got the unit for a previous car 4 years ago... so I’d be getting a better screen and navigation via Google along with CarPlay. 

Might just be worth it... 

you mentioned from this supplier you had to download some new software to make the Android CarPlay equivalent work, was that difficult?

On 3/17/2019 at 10:30 PM, NZ BMW said:

Thanks for the video, great review. I think you’re right it’s still got some rough edges. However for me, upgrading from a CCC just about anything would be better you would think. 

My current solution is to run an external Bluetooth dongle to my Aux and stream my phone to that. Mind you, that solution was about $50 when I got the unit for a previous car 4 years ago... so I’d be getting a better screen and navigation via Google along with CarPlay. 

Might just be worth it... 

you mentioned from this supplier you had to download some new software to make the Android CarPlay equivalent work, was that difficult?

Not difficult at all, no. If you want to upgrade your X5 (E70 I'm guessing) you could always look at doing a CIC retrofit if you want to stay BMW OEM. I just happen to have a CIC unit on my bench ? You would need the screen, adapter and harness (looks like it might be plug and play, but you would need a module for PDC and RVC and the trim surround for the idrive and dash). I'd sell you the CIC for less than what the retrofit kits come in at.

Edited by hugo_nz