Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

Questions re genuine E30 M3 DTM airbox

Can someone with good knowledge of these please educate me on how many versions of the DTM airbox BMW motorsport had for the e30 M3??

From what I can gather there’s 4 versions?

2.3l with 46mm throttle opening 4 injector ports

2.3l with 46mm throttle opening 8 injector ports

2.5l with 49.5mm throttle opening 4 injector ports

2.5l with 50mm throttle opening 8 injector ports?

Or am I completely wrong about it??? The more detail the better please - trying to determine something I’ve been offered.

Thanks!!

Conrad at M3Motorsport would be the best person to ask.

I understand they were all made by the same German composites company, die Wethje (could be Dutch?) and are a single piece, not glued together.

13 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Conrad at M3Motorsport would be the best person to ask.

I understand they were all made by the same German composites company, die Wethje (could be Dutch?) and are a single piece, not glued together.

Yes same company that makes the csl Airbox, Wethje (I’ve been told by my friends in Germany that you don’t actually use Die for any company as the literal translation is just “the” and you don’t say The Apple, The Nike ect) - so the same folks that makes Recaros.

Bit surprised there’s not more info out there for these? Are they sought after these genuine DTM plenums?? Can they be easily adapted to run in a road car??

There are lots of CF replicas available for track cars, so a genuine DTM one would only really be worth more to go on a genuine DTM car or a money no object replica.

Pretty easy to fit onto the car, then just a piggy-back ECU to run something like Alpha-N management in place of the AFM.

Would be a cool piece of wall art...

6 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Would be a cool piece of wall art...

My thought exactly lol! Wish I could afford that genuine Schnitzer car for sale at the moment !!!

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

I've got a 1991 E30 M3 with the later 2.3 engine, full euro spec and it has the direct carbon intake and running the Alpha N piggyback ECU. My intake is not an original DTM piece, but its a very nice one that I got in from Germany.

Which make and version of the Alpha N are you using? DId you get it tuned on a dyno once you got it fitted, and if so who did the tuning for you?

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Which make and version of the Alpha N are you using? DId you get it tuned on a dyno once you got it fitted, and if so who did the tuning for you?

Looks like its been in the car about 5 years. Prob time I updated the firmware !! Yes, after installation, Gavin Bellars at Hi Velocity tuned it on his dyno.

log_error_zps21d41921.jpg

screen_zps8efb4681.jpg

04_zps3a0d2431.jpg

02_zps3cd5607b.jpg

01_zpse3b7dfda.jpg

03_zpsc0f6d0da.jpg

Edited by philwalter
  • Like 4

Nice car, and lovely photos of the airbox.

Fingers crossed I will have the funds available this year to get an airbox for that snuffling intake noise!! Gavin would be my choice for the tuning.