Sign in to follow this  
BlackrazorNZ

Independents, New Car Warranty, Self Provided Parts

If you have no intention of getting said part fitted yet still ask for a quote is that not wasting time?

39 minutes ago, Gaz said:

If you have no intention of getting said part fitted yet still ask for a quote is that not wasting time?

For the record, I’ve already asked for a quote to get the parts I was considering fitted. And had the answer been reasonably in line with international (or even Aus) pricing, I’d have locked it in on the spot, and probably prepaid in cash.  

Hell, even when I bought the car I literally walked in,  talked to the first sales person I came across, took the car for a 20 min test drive, said ‘Here’s the spec list I’d like’, paid my deposit, didn’t haggle, signed off and walked out again. I’m literally the polar opposite of a time waster :)

• Like 1

Wasn't referring to you sorry. Wow that's pretty cool sometimes when you know, you know!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Strangely enough, your chosen strategy is to not speak with the people who have the ultimate power to say yea or nay the dealership service advisers), and you’ve found complimentary advice that confirms your own bias.  Result!

Or alternatively, M3AN actually responded to my original questions, albeit with an answer that I was hoping wasn’t the case, but I appreciate the fact he did so instead of making me feel like a dealer-shy weirdo ? Take your pick. 

Edited by BlackrazorNZ
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Wasn't referring to you sorry. Wow that's pretty cool sometimes when you know, you know!

All good - in typical ‘me’ fashion, I’d already spent dozens of hours researching online and just needed a short test drive to confirm what I’d heard  before committing ? The dealership can thank the southbound Ellerslie on-ramp and some tail wiggle for that! ?

Edited by BlackrazorNZ
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would have been happy for them to do it but they refused unless they're supplying the parts. I wasn't talking about a hypothetical blow smoke up their arse situation... that would be a waste of everyone's time, mine included. Sorry if I left that impression, unintentional.

• Like 1

every time you waste someones time be it a dealer or any other shop or professional, the price keeps going up. conversaly, the most you send thier way, the price comes down. 

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, M3AN said:

Answer to your first question (warranty) = don't risk it, do everything by the book and pay the price or be prepared to be disappointed.

Second question (supplied parts) = it doesn't hurt to ask, I've been successful with supplying my own parts (by prior arrangement) with Bellars (North Shore), BM Workshop (Grey Lynn),  Kayne Barrie (North Auckland) and a couple of other randoms. I've been turned down at every BMW dealer but that doesn't surprise me.

First answer - pretty sure the BMW warranty will be very precise on this part. Read it and follow it otherwise vewry unlikely to be covered.

Second answer - interesting BM Workshop flatly refused a colleague of mine, with Genuine BMW parts, as quote "it wasn't worth it without the parts profit". Only people I have had fit parts I've supplied have pretty much been "mates" with a workshop and tools I don't have, so not really applicable. However, I would imagine the answer to Question one, pretty much makes this part redundant.

42 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Second answer - interesting BM Workshop flatly refused a colleague of mine, with Genuine BMW parts, as quote "it wasn't worth it without the parts profit".

Yes I suspect this is often the case. But it's something I don't understand from a commercial perspective - wouldn't 'charge them more' be a viable solution? I'd happily pay a couple hundred an hour to get parts properly fitted and if they can't make some money off that labour rate there's bigger problems afoot.

You're one of few though. If they started to charge a bigger rate to just fit parts, they'd quickly get a reputation for "ripping us poor customers off", which in typical Kiwi fashion, would get smeared all over the internet on forums such as this. 

Edited by KwS

It also boils down to your exposure to risk under the CGA...ie: the person your dealing with, the vehicle your expected to work on  (condition) and the quality (brand) of the components your expected to install for labour only with a workmanship warranty . I can give examples but I'm not wanting to get into any argument or debate about what I'm saying. Many workshops will forgo the labour $ because they don't want that exposure and they refuse to do the work. Ask the workshop to fit some small item parts that you supply is not normally an issue, supplying a clutch kit or engine overhaul kit is a different story where the repairer must look at his financial exposure to the risk factor knowing that his supplier would back him up if there was a component failure with parts he might supply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the above, it's especially important to recognise that if you supply the parts the installer has no return path for warranty claims... that becomes your responsibility which could cost you more in the long run. Glenn's example is good, if you're supply a simple vacuum or coolant hose (for example) that's probably low risk... a new clutch, not so much.

As I stated earlier, it must be by prior arrangement and on the basis of a common understanding... but it also doesn't hurt or cost to ask.

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

I agree with the above, it's especially important to recognise that if you supply the parts the installer has no return path for warranty claims... that becomes your responsibility which could cost you more in the long run. Glenn's example is good, if you're supply a simple vacuum or coolant hose (for example) that's probably low risk... a new clutch, not so much.

As I stated earlier, it must be by prior arrangement and on the basis of a common understanding... but it also doesn't hurt or cost to ask.

Agree, I often supply parts but I make sure they are always of good quality (Bosch, OEM etc). That was part of the understanding I reached with my shop, that they wouldn’t install anything they wouldn’t normally recommend.  

For what it’s worth, I had a belt I supplied be defective from the factory. My mechanic put the old one back on for free, which I thought was incredibly good of them. At least I was reasonable enough to recognise the defective part was now my responsibility. I also took them a box of beers as a thank you... 

• Like 1

Sounds like you are one of the reasonable ones that appreciate what they are doing for you.

Unfortunately there are more punters at the other end of the scale who want to scrimp and save and then put all responsibility on someone else when it breaks.

As Glenn said...

The other issue out there is you can't contract out of the SGA even if you have a verbal or written agreement between two parties it can be a sh*t fight if the repair turns to custard. Both parties are covered under the SGA by law. It then becomes a blame and  finger pointing exercise with a third party involved.... the parts supplier / manufacturer

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

Additional to the obvious risk for the workshop, a lot of them are crazy busy and having to deal with BYO parts is just not worth the hassle when you have a full pipeline of work.

The shop will already has it's own processes for parts so having to cater for BYO can be quite an inconvenience, and then it turns to sh*t if the parts are wrong or become faulty.

Charging a higher hourly rate wouldn't change the situation, as the shop can make just as much doing a run of the mill job and there's no shortage of those jobs with European cars.  The last times I have been to AK BMW and BM Workshop they have been very busy and had a couple of weeks lead time.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1