Sign in to follow this  
NZ00Z3

Working on an "out of service" (dead Rego) car?

Hi

I'm looking at buying a BMW with dead Rego and bringing it back and getting it registered and warranted. 

As it is an "out of service" car, are there any restrictions on the work that I'm allowed to do? E.g. do the brakes have to be repaired by a mechanic?

I'm looking at doing suspension and brake work among the wide range of general fix ups.

Regards

Murray

Have a read of this regarding the whole process. It is slightly different on post-91 cars, but should be otherwise similar. 

https://www.tasteslikepetrol.net/2018/11/project-snicket-re-registration/

Vtnz had no issue with me doing the work as long as I filled out the paperwork and provided receipts/documents. 

• Like 2

Thanks KwS, a good read of the basic process.

Its a 1999 car, so the higher level inspection/re-certification process will apply.

I must ask, is it worth the time, effort and money?

It's unlikely to be a "classic" being 99, yet isn't modern enough to even have yearly wofs. There are few cars I would bother doing that process again for, and sometimes it's just better to pay a little more for one that is already on the road. 

Time and effort are free, I'm retired and fixing the car up will help fill the days.  Is it worth the money and expense? Only if I don't spend too much in the initial purchase.  The worst case parts list is known and priced with an allowance for the unexpected, as is the market price for the completed car.  The total $ outcome is positive at the moment.

• Like 1

thats a good answer.The car has to be priced well because of the perceived "expense" of re rego ing.The condition of the car may be worse than a registered one because one may assume that the current owner couldnt afford to keep imaintained OR there is a problem he was not prepared to fix.

@NZ00Z3 Murray, if you do proceed, please do open a project thread!  We'd love to complete the journey with you.  ?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, KwS said:

I must ask, is it worth the time, effort and money?

It's unlikely to be a "classic" being 99, yet isn't modern enough to even have yearly wofs. There are few cars I would bother doing that process again for, and sometimes it's just better to pay a little more for one that is already on the road. 

I can see where Murray is coming from, its a hobby and money is not what it is all about.

Its the achievement and satisfaction of having done it yourself,

I will spend over 8 grand  on my project but the car will still be only worth 3+ grand