Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Cert requirements for a re-body of a car

No. 2 in a series of questions around the legality/regulation of changes to vehicles!

Taking a live rego vehicle of chassis/body (not monocoque construction), removing the body (retaining the running gear and engine, gearbox, etc) and replacing the body with something of a different style. An example might be fitting a 2002 body on to an E87 135i (assuming that's possible).

Anyone know what the cert requirements might be?

10 hours ago, gjm said:

No. 2 in a series of questions around the legality/regulation of changes to vehicles!

Taking a live rego vehicle of chassis/body (not monocoque construction), removing the body (retaining the running gear and engine, gearbox, etc) and replacing the body with something of a different style. An example might be fitting a 2002 body on to an E87 135i (assuming that's possible).

Anyone know what the cert requirements might be?

all possible but proabably 100k in work etc

Any other thoughts on the paperwork/official side of what might be required?

A 2002-bodied E87 (or similar) sounds like a lot of fun, but was just an example of the sort of change I was describing.

A little like using a voltswagon bettle and converting it to a beach buggy using the conversion kits one could buy. If so would depend on the body used what it had registered against it. Then the drive train and other items. Plus the  percentage margins allowed for hp etc. Would have a chat to a cert guy could save a hole lot of grief and dollars.

Edited by allan
  • Like 1

Think it would be quite a process and from what I’ve been reading with my own car project ( 63 mini race car without vin) there are quite a few stages)

from memory if 60 percent of the original 2002 is present then its modification . The key would be use a car that’ can be proved to have been registered and on the road. Using s 2002 would mean some of the impact and airbag rules might not apply.

if it’s beyond 60% then your building a low volume scratch built car which in some ways is a easier Cert process. However, the rules around almost every aspect of the modifications apply.

i thing the key to the project would be around any welding carried out to be done by a certified welder with careful consideration as to how the body / chassis/ suspension came together.

A low volume Certifier would be required every step along the way. The key to the project is making sure that you can get a vin or re-entry vin line of sight sorted. Otherwise you may build it and find you can’t re vin the vehicle ( I’m stuck at this stage with trying to returning a old race car with no vin onto the road)

Id probably start with posting a how would I go about this and get the lower volume car constructor manual for the current regulations.

Would be a cool project 

https://m.facebook.com/LVVTA/

Edited by Neal
iPhone grammar correction problem when typing
  • Like 1