Sign in to follow this  
Cammsport

Shipping from NZ to USA

Have recently had someone message me on Facebook regarding some wheels I have for sale. 

He has given me his address (Texas based) and has asked to use PayPal once I have a shipping quote sussed. Which leads me on to two questions... 

Firstly, how do you know if this person is legitimate or not? I guess being the seller it's harder for him to scam me, but I was wondering if he was able to reverse the PayPal payment once he knows I've started the shipping process. 

Secondly, does any one have any experience sending things of this size overseas? The wheels measure 18"x10" and are without tyres. Any recommendations or ideas of pricing would be greatly appreciated! 

Once the money is in your PayPal account you can withdraw it into your bank account more or less straight away

• Like 1

Also get the buyer to put the money as a gift, that way he pays the paypal fees.

Not you ?

As for shipping the rims, plywood circles sandwiching the rim wired together.

Edited by sweetm3
  • Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 8:41 PM, sweetm3 said:

Also get the buyer to put the money as a gift, that way he pays the paypal fees.

Not you ?

As for shipping the rims, plywood circles sandwiching the rim wired together.

i wouldnt recommend using plywood unless the tiber is clearly marked as treated and has appropriate standards marks on all pieces. i learnt this the hard way when i sent a container overseas many moons ago and didnt use treated pallets. expencive mistake you only do once.

• Like 1

bunnings have half sheets of treated ply(1200mmx1200mm 12 or 17mm) i think it is "non structural" so it quite good value

• Like 1

Just curious. What wheels? Are they rare or cheap? Because wheels here in the US are far cheaper and numerous than in NZ.

I wouldn't say ultra rare. They're BBS RC's 18" x 10" & 18" x 8.5". 

Not "ultra" rare but f'ing hard to find in good condition these days and damn expensive.

@M3AN Yea these are curbed, but are easily fixed on the lathe. Not too expensive apparently either. That was my original plan, but i want to get my E30 finished before our wee fella turns up in May.

Tyre shop is a good idea. I need to really probe this guy to see how keen he is before i commit too much of my time, running around Auckland.

• Like 1

There's a company called Pack and Send, their name says it all really, and can sort it out if you give them dimensions and an address.

Good luck and let me know how you go, I've got some super rare bbs rs which I'm refinishing at the moment that will likely end up going overseas

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1

Thought I'd throw the quote up here for anyone that was interested. Ended up having two guys in the US keen (I had a $2k nzd list price over there as opposed to the $1.6k nzd listed to factor in the muck around factor. Guys were still keen.) but the shipping quote has turned them off. Price was the same for 4 individual smaller boxes as it was for one larger one. 

Screenshot_20190403-131841_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Edited by Cammsport

What is the final destination city in USA? this weight and size is not huge, I reckon I can get it sent cheaper using a company like DHL or similar.

a global freight forwarder is probably cheaper than using a company like pack&send because they basically outsource it and put on a margin whereas global carriers have the ability to consolidate it into a large shipment/airline etc.

Milwaukee and Arlington, Texas so sea freight is kind of out of the question. I'll ask for a few more quotes. 

thats a huge difference to my quote but im using a company account that spends a lot more with dhl so i guess its normal..

image.thumb.png.a4795f151ba57dca8c000895dbdbd2c3.png

edit:

makes pack&send look cheap now in comparison!!

Edited by qube

Wow!

Even though the final destinations are not near a (Pacific) port surely you can still stipulate sea for the Pacific leg? Even if the final address was in LA it would need to go on a truck from the port to the destination... perhaps give Mainfreight a call and see if you can do sea+land - I reckon you can. It'll take weeks but should cost hundreds less.

I brought ~120kg's back from Amsterdam in 17 boxes and that was "only" about NZ$2100... that went truck -> boat -> truck (and via the UK).

Either way, good luck - sucks to lose a fish off the hook!

one thing you could try is to split them into 4x 11kg boxes, DHL likes things to be moved by hand and if its 4 small boxes instead of 1 massive box that a person cannot lift, it costs more as it has to be palletted and moved differently instead of on conveyor belts etc

I'm looking into new brake discs for the Mercedes.

ATE discs - pair: US $100.
Shipping... Cheapest option is $229. :(

12 minutes ago, gjm said:

Did you check with Startech for pricing? They are usually quite reasonable for parts. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, C-130 Hercules said:

Did you check with Startech for pricing? They are usually quite reasonable for parts. 

$110 each for discs which aren't as good. :(  Cheaper than importing them, but I'd prefer the better quality. (And they don't have stock.)
They seem to have got quite a bit more expensive lately.

7 hours ago, gjm said:

Did you check Micks Garage Graham???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allanw said:

Did you check Micks Garage Graham???

They have pads (Mintex or Ferodo), but no discs.

I'll probably ship them in from Germany. I can get a pair of discs for ~EUR 80, plus EUR 55 shipping. Works out about the same price as from Startech, but better quality.

Startech pricing used to be 'keen'... It'd cost a little less to buy in from overseas, but there's a wait to receive parts, so the convenience is a big, and fair draw. Pricing used to work out to overseas price + shipping + ~10%, which is fair enough. Lately some of the numbers seem to be climbing, and held stock is less... Of course, I am looking for parts for older cars and there are fewer of those around, making holding stock less viable. I've stood still, but time marches on!

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1