Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gjm

BMW and Mercedes to work together

Recommended Posts

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/auto/now-daimler-bmw-mobilitaet-1.4341347

 

You may need to use a translator, but essentially, this is about BMW and Mercedes working together to develop future platforms. There are several subsequent reports referring to the same thing.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car sharing platforms... nothing overly exciting.

BMW have some very large sharing fleets in some European countries, and Benz have fleets in others. Looking to work on making the two schemes collaborating together, and for future schemes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

makes sence, both are no way near as big as VAG group they are competing with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're competing in the 'prestige' category, while VAG are (typically) in a lower league. Sadly, the insistence that all manufacturers now have to make all vehicles in all niches for all markets means resources are spread very, very thinly.

Sharing a platform is the only economic way forward, and it's actually surprising they've not done this earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What could've been is now going to be? 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The naming conventions are going to get really really complex. Going to need a scientific calculator to work out how many doors these vehicles will have.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, gjm said:

Sharing a platform is the only economic way forward, and it's actually surprising they've not done this earlier.

You are taking the word platform in the wrong context. This article is not referring to vehicle design and a common design across both brands.

As I said it is referring to “car sharing platforms”, ie the software and booking systems required for car sharing schemes. It is the IT platform, not the floor plan of a car.

Don’t get too carried away...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

You are taking the word platform in the wrong context. This article is not referring to vehicle design and a common design across both brands.

As I said it is referring to “car sharing platforms”, ie the software and booking systems required for car sharing schemes. It is the IT platform, not the floor plan of a car.

Don’t get too carried away...

Ah - lost in translation. :)

This looks to be the German motor industry response to Uber, Lyft and similar, but with automated vehicles. They're investing heavily in this - numbers like 'a billion euros' are being thrown around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, gjm said:

They're competing in the 'prestige' category,

there is nothing prestigeous about a 3 series or a C class these days, hardly anything you can get on those you cant get in a same size Kia or toyota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it goes far beyond the 3 series. BMW are a premium brand for the most part and that premium has been dwindling for awhile now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

there is nothing prestigeous about a 3 series or a C class these days, hardly anything you can get on those you cant get in a same size Kia or toyota.

We've left the age of 'designed and built by accountants', but are still in a place where most cars are built down to a price, rather than up to a standard.

In the case of Mercedes, rot set in around 1995 when the W210 came out. The W202 (the first C-class) was a little better, but not much.
Until then, Mercedes were hewn from rock (of various grades ;) ) and engineered to exceed requirements. Even the 'Baby Benz', the 190E, was built the same way as the E- and S-class cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 11:54 AM, _ethrty-Andy_ said:

there is nothing prestigeous about a 3 series or a C class these days, hardly anything you can get on those you cant get in a same size Kia or toyota.

The features, design and quality of the mass market has definitely improved by leaps and bounds over the last generation of cars. The Korean brands in particular have come a long way in a very short time.

However, I would argue it’s not just the features included, but also how well they operate and ease of use. Plus there are also the harder to quantify factors such as build quality, tactile feel, driveability, handling, etc.

The new 3 Series is a huge jump ahead of anything in the sector, but then I am biased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 7:09 PM, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The features, design and quality of the mass market has definitely improved by leaps and bounds over the last generation of cars. The Korean brands in particular have come a long way in a very short time.

However, I would argue it’s not just the features included, but also how well they operate and ease of use. Plus there are also the harder to quantify factors such as build quality, tactile feel, driveability, handling, etc.

The new 3 Series is a huge jump ahead of anything in the sector, but then I am biased.

already seen a few of the new 3 on the roads up here in Canada. they just blend in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Externally, it is only really an evolution of the F30 design, with a little more of the current design features - bigger grilles,etc.

The major development and changes have gone on under the skin, not so much engine / drivetrain, more the suspension and interior - which includes all the driver assist functionality (which thinking about it may not be a standard feature in Canadia like it is in NZ).

Would be good fun in the snow - if there's any left now, RWD, traction control off... whee!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Externally, it is only really an evolution of the F30 design, with a little more of the current design features - bigger grilles,etc.

The major development and changes have gone on under the skin, not so much engine / drivetrain, more the suspension and interior - which includes all the driver assist functionality (which thinking about it may not be a standard feature in Canadia like it is in NZ).

Would be good fun in the snow - if there's any left now, RWD, traction control off... whee!

Couldnt tell you what spec is. I dont like the new design lanugauge, but i recall saying the same about almost every new BMW in the past decade, but they have all grown on me over time. Went to an international autoshow here a month or so ago, the BMW stand was dissapointing, they are all there, but nothing there that jumped off the page as a car id like to own. The Volvo stand tho, now THATs my language!

and snow almost all gone now, hence why i brought an E30 Touring here a few weeks ago for the summer ha.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×