Sign in to follow this  
Syy0628

e36 Gm4 body control module

Hi,

I am recently having problems with my GM4 module in my e36 328i convertible, the car was leaking water and the moisture have eaten away some of the PCB on the GM4. I took the gm4 out I got almost everything working by cleaning the PCB and drying it with a heat gun on low setting, soft top works, windows and central locking work, comfort features work. But then because the soft top was not 100% fixed, it leaked under heavy rain again, and then nothing works. I can't not find a gm4 with the same part number anywhere, So I brought a GM4 from eBay, which the seller claimed is pulled from an e36 328i convertible us spec. it has a different part number. And everything bar the soft top and the comfort features works.  (the soft top doesn't resync when I hold the button down with the new module, it almost feels like it is not for a convertible) the information on the net is very inconsistent about what part number is for what model of e36. The first photo is the broken unit from my car, and the second photo with green sticker is the part number of the unit I brought from eBay. I have looked on realOEM, but even the broken unit from my car is not listed on there.   

So a few questions

1. what is mapping between different gm4 and e36 models, are they interchangeable?

2. Is there anyone know some guy in NZ that do repairs on those gm4 modules?

3. Anyone have an e36 convertible that willing to let me tear the gm4 off for a test?

Thanks,

Richard

02652e68185d2d7fa37fe52a7338d7c.jpg

5354fc5adf6649347d67e24069367bf.jpg

Edited by Syy0628
  • Like 1

The 4 I've seen are all the same as yours. One had a purple connector on it which was the only difference which was from a late e36. 

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

The 4 I've seen are all the same as yours. One had a purple connector on it which was the only difference which was from a late e36. 

thanks for the reply, any idea where I can get a used one locally?