Sign in to follow this  
Blackie

Forum clean up?

I've noticed as I'm sure others have, lots of old/dead stickied posts that make the place look like it's unmaintained. I reported a fair few of these last year but no one seemed to be home (quick to delete my for sale post as I was trying to edit with a pic tho). How about a clean up / take out the trash?

A couple of examples - there are more

General discussion - Car Folie (pinned) - created 8 Jan 2011, user indicated business has closed on 15 Nov 2018

General discussion - Bimmersport Downtime - created 22 May 2016, last post 20 Dec 2016, hopefully resolved by now?

News - Bimmersport News RSS feed - created 2 Jul 2007, unsurprisingly this no longer works.

The FORUM RULES (yes all caps) - created 19 Nov 2008, the formatting of the post is awful and there's some real strange stuff in there (e.g. Warez - good memories)

For Sale - Bimmersport 2013 Wall Calendars on Sale Now - 28 Nov 2012, yea

For Sale - Bimmersport T-shirts - 8 Feb 2007, assuming no longer available, etc.

Thoughts?

And before the usual about how busy the mods are with family, etc. I'm happy to do this.

• Like 5

I agree Rob. But the owners and most of the admin don't seen to give a sh*t anymore unless it suits them apart from Jon. I've tried negotiating this previously and got nowhere . It's also a reason why we have lost so many knowledgeable and professional members and have now got all the copy and post know all's strutting there finger skills

• Like 3

Lucky this forum gets frequented so putting up with dated aspects its probably to be expected when just about every other car forum has died due to facebook pages taking the traffic. 

I guess maintaining such is of less interest to those in charge for such reasons. 

5 hours ago, Michael. said:

Lucky this forum gets frequented so putting up with dated aspects its probably to be expected when just about every other car forum has died due to facebook pages taking the traffic. 

I guess maintaining such is of less interest to those in charge for such reasons. 

Nope.

I agree with @Blackie - and since he (and others) have volunteered there are no excuses.

• Like 2

I too have offered to help but didn't receive a reply.

The owners do get involved when the site goes down, so they're still around somewhere!

Agreed its not the most well maintained but it works and i can chat with people on it no problem and it doesnt cost me anything so im happy. 

• Like 2

yup, good point. I was looking at the T-Shirt and calendars threads the other day.

And even started updating the old model codes sticky!!

I will start looking at how to "un-stick" some of these posts as a tidy up.

I have gone through and removed and un-pinned a lot of the old stuff at the top of the various sub-forums. Some stuff is pretty old, but still quite relevant / helpful so I have left it at the top.

If there is anythig i have missed, let me know - either post it in here or drop me a pm and i'll have a look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for your work. I did notice the CarFolie sponsor link (logo on front page) on general discussion still goes nowhere.

Edited by KwS

Yeah, thats a bit more complicated and programmery than i can manage. Will see if IU can track down one of the clever mods to look into that one!

• Thanks 1

Car Foile - sponsor of the general section - their website has gone.

Edit: Sponors deals section doesn't appear to have had a post for a year.

Edited by Blackie

Have to say this forum has always been great but seen better days.
Being an IT guy know it gets hard to manage things especially as time goes on but its still alive.

I would have no issues to offer some hours to help do a clean up/re-orginise a bit as i have had so much help off here in the early years we need a place that isn't full of stupid comments like FB haha

• Like 2

Then again, anyone reading this should probably read the following to see what's up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andy and I are not on here these days. I just jumped on today because someone emailed me. 

We’re keen to hand over the site to the right person to breath some love back into it. To build and manage a forum moderator team, sign up some sponsors and get some events happening. 

If you think you’re that person

Email me ollie@bimmersport.co.nz

or call me 027 544 8699

Would love to chat

• Like 1

Also, feel free to make nominations for anyone who is active on the forum that you think would be well suited. Sadly I’m a bit out of touch with the membership these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OLLIE said:

Also, feel free to make nominations for anyone who is active on the forum that you think would be well suited. Sadly I’m a bit out of touch with the membership these days. 

I'm one of the people who emailed. I am more than happy to run/maintain the site. I am not so active as to do moderation daily, but running websites/forums is something I do and have done on a daily basis for a long time now. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2