Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

Wrapped interior wood

I have been slowly warming up to the idea of open-pore, non-glassy wood trim in cars. It looks super great in the X5, and I am kind-of over the glossy wood idea on premium sports cars. So, I found a black wood grain textured vinyl and proceeded to wrap the 6-er's wood trim. Not my first time doing a wrap, but first time using a heat gun whilst wrapping and boy does it make a world of difference. The Vinyl is super easy to mold around curves and corners. Anyway, pics attached. Let me know what you think ?

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

• Like 5

Nice job, the open pored / matt look is certainly a lot more modern than the glossy wood - that's sooooo last year.

• Like 1

I can't think of a good reason to have wood in a modern car but that certainly looks better than most you see around so props on that.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, M3AN said:

I can't think of a good reason to have wood in a modern car but that certainly looks better than most you see around so props on that.

Really? You can't?

Wood has a nice "natural" look and feel, more so than bloody aluminium or high gloss plastics. Plenty of luxury car interiors would disagree with you. 

• Like 1

Nice. Looks factory. I have been toying with the idea of wrapping my trip. Coby Wheel offers an alcanatra wrap dash trip for e46, but it's pricey. 

Going to give repainting a go and see how it looks. 

2 hours ago, KwS said:

Really? You can't?

Wood has a nice "natural" look and feel, more so than bloody aluminium or high gloss plastics. Plenty of luxury car interiors would disagree with you. 

Yep, really. 

21 hours ago, M3AN said:

+1 timber is for furniture, give me brushed aluminum any day.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments folks. I think the gloss wood has a place in certain types of cars. I am not a fan of brushed aluminium and even less of piano black. My other option was carbon fiber (which I now subsequently have 2x1.5m worth of lying in my office)

Piano black looks quite good, in an 80s Batchelor Pad furniture kind-of-way, but is an absolute bitch to keep clean. Attracts every spec of dust in the car, finger prints stick out like mutts nuts. Then you have to be sooo careful when you clean it so it doesn't scratch.

Do you have a second set of trims to can wrap in the CF? Then you could swap and change as your mood takes you.