Jump to content
Kodachrome

My 130i MSport 2008

Recommended Posts

https://www.trademe.co.nz/1996283966

VIN lookup: https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/jm27654

 

Selling as I kinda semi accidentally bid on and won a 550i over my honeymoon. Kinda wanted a larger car to ferry parts for my 525i E28 project car around.

This 130i is great, I had no bother with it at all. All I replaced was the MAF (with OEM version) which livened everything up again. I replace these on every used car I buy. 

Absolute Joy to drive and sounds great too. 

 

Buy it Now on TM is $8650 but I can do a deal for Bimmersport members is anyone interested. 

20190106_161213.jpg

20190322_105926.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much of the Nav and iDrive have you converted over from Jap to NZ..?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

How much of the Nav and iDrive have you converted over from Jap to NZ..?

Me, none, PO did it. Never bothered with Nav (outdated Nav vs phone, no point) but Radio and Idrive is converted and seems fine.

 

Edit: Should clarify  when I say I've never bothered with Nav I mean I've never used it, I'll check tomorrow if its NZ English.

Edited by mattsimis
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never used my nav either, must check, but then this is NZ and it's hardly needed lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the urban fuel use like?
Been wondering about one of these or even a F20 as a better daily driver than my V8 X5 (15l/100KM!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pete, as a previous owner of a 130i and a current owner of an F20 M135i, i would say its a very tough choice between the two cars. 

fuel consumption wise, the 130i is more thirsty generally, the turbos on the F20 makes the fuel economy much better especially for urban use. On open roads, both are excellent.

my M135i is currently averaging 10.9km/l, the 130i I was getting maybe 8-9km/l for same daily commute type of driving. (gf's 116i gets 13+km/l)

The 130i suspension rides very hard/harsh and you really need to go for non RFT and preferably 17 over 18 for best comfort.

the F20 is much better and you have the option of comfort/sports settings etc.

the 130i is a bargain performance NA straight 6 engine BMW that has an old BMW feel in terms of drive but still relatively newish like the E90/E60 series especially given how cheap they are now, as low as 5k for high mileage and only 10k+ for a nice tidy one.

the F20 on the other hand is way way newer, comfort access, much better idrive, bluetooth, navigation, music playback, etc etc. its a really effortless car to drive.

 

(btw, my M135i will be for sale soon if you're interested, i'll even drive it down to you haha!)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Kodachrome I don't suppose you would be interested in a E87 116d 6-speed manual as part exchange would you..? Fresh WoF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, qube said:

Pete, as a previous owner of a 130i and a current owner of an F20 M135i, i would say its a very tough choice between the two cars. 

fuel consumption wise, the 130i is more thirsty generally, the turbos on the F20 makes the fuel economy much better especially for urban use. On open roads, both are excellent.

my M135i is currently averaging 10.9km/l, the 130i I was getting maybe 8-9km/l for same daily commute type of driving. (gf's 116i gets 13+km/l)

The 130i suspension rides very hard/harsh and you really need to go for non RFT and preferably 17 over 18 for best comfort.

the F20 is much better and you have the option of comfort/sports settings etc.

the 130i is a bargain performance NA straight 6 engine BMW that has an old BMW feel in terms of drive but still relatively newish like the E90/E60 series especially given how cheap they are now, as low as 5k for high mileage and only 10k+ for a nice tidy one.

the F20 on the other hand is way way newer, comfort access, much better idrive, bluetooth, navigation, music playback, etc etc. its a really effortless car to drive.

 

(btw, my M135i will be for sale soon if you're interested, i'll even drive it down to you haha!)

 

Cheers for the advice q :) Sounds like a 130i would be fun but not the smart city car to balance V8 and V10!

Been pondering 120i/125i Msports - not sure I could cope with a 116i as much as they look fine!

This looks nice: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2000832627

Wonder if an M135i could make my M5 feel a bit redundant tho…. saw a few go for mid-20s recently which was a little tempting :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not bother with that one for 21k or even if u got it down to say 19k. Different league to the m135. 

I would be selling mine for around the mid20s. 

And yes might make the m5 a bit redundant hah! honestly, this car is too good for what it costs nowadays.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, qube said:

I would not bother with that one for 21k or even if u got it down to say 19k. Different league to the m135. 

I would be selling mine for around the mid20s. 

And yes might make the m5 a bit redundant hah! honestly, this car is too good for what it costs nowadays.

 

Let me know when you're selling it - might be interested ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Been pondering 120i/125i Msports - not sure I could cope with a 116i as much as they look fine!

This looks nice: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2000832627

Odd spec on that 125i - big brakes, big wheels, fancy dash but shitty halogen headlights. I've also been looking at them for a daily driver.

The 118i with the 3-pot actually is surprisingly peppy - though a bit less than 500hp worth of v10 i'd wager

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Odd spec on that 125i - big brakes, big wheels, fancy dash but shitty halogen headlights. I've also been looking at them for a daily driver.

The 118i with the 3-pot actually is surprisingly peppy - though a bit less than 500hp worth of v10 i'd wager

Yes the spec is good and I happen to like blue :)

There's a v low kms 118i Msport down here with balance of wty etc and I've heard good things about the 3 cylinder too. https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1979107246 

Might have to pop in to see Jacky at Winger and take it for spin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Cheers for the advice q :) Sounds like a 130i would be fun but not the smart city car to balance V8 and V10!

Been pondering 120i/125i Msports - not sure I could cope with a 116i as much as they look fine!

An interesting puzzle you're looking to solve, Pete.  130i leaves you plenty of cash in pocket to cover the extra fuel over that 116i for years; and you'll still be 50% better off than using the glorious M5 for the commute.  Yes, the logic will sound familiar.  I'm still completely chuffed with your old 545i, and am still ahead of that 535D ///M that I was going to buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Olaf said:

An interesting puzzle you're looking to solve, Pete.  130i leaves you plenty of cash in pocket to cover the extra fuel over that 116i for years; and you'll still be 50% better off than using the glorious M5 for the commute.  Yes, the logic will sound familiar.  I'm still completely chuffed with your old 545i, and am still ahead of that 535D ///M that I was going to buy.

There's a decent bit of eco-guilt mixed in with the fuel cost side of things. 

Also - it would be nice to get the wife into a F20 which I think would be a good replacement for the Atenza. 

130i would make more sense if Ethan got his license sorted and was heading off soon... he could have it (along with the running costs :))

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

What's the urban fuel use like?
Been wondering about one of these or even a F20 as a better daily driver than my V8 X5 (15l/100KM!)

I actually cant recall the urban economy, which is a good thing as clearing not running to the pumps with it. The 130i, as mentioned, is a bargain performance hot hatch. Very easy to live with. This would a whole lot cheaper than the F20 equivalent, better to get a taste without cashing in big books? :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

There's a decent bit of eco-guilt mixed in with the fuel cost side of things. 

I feel this too. I also really like the idea of a non REX i3 but no doubt RUC’s will be along shortly to spoil that particular party and the 25k gap to a similarly specced 118i buys a fair bit of gas and servicing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

130i in urban is about 11.5L/100km.  My M5 is about 18-19L on the same route.

Overall it's about 9-12L/100km, which is worse than my 535i touring which gets 7-11L/100km.

 

I'd go old 130i or newer 116i, maybe even a Nissan Leaf.  Still tempted to sell my 130i.  $30 grand on a povo BMW isn't an attractive idea to me.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1865293537.htm?rsqid=8ef907f50ac34f89bf04796781f19a4d

 

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GorGasm said:

130i in urban is about 11.5L/100km.  My M5 is about 18-19L on the same route.

Overall it's about 9-12L/100km, which is worse than my 535i touring which gets 7-11L/100km.

 

I'd go old 130i or newer 116i, maybe even a Nissan Leaf.  Still tempted to sell my 130i.  $30 grand on a povo BMW isn't an attractive idea to me.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1865293537.htm?rsqid=8ef907f50ac34f89bf04796781f19a4d

 

these numbers sound about right since i was getting 8-9km/l on the 130i. 

honestly, the thing is a hoot to drive but rides harsh and fuel economy is bad.

the 116i sport variant around 2012-2014 for under 15k is a great deal on a new car but the thing is most of them are poverty pack, we were lucky to get a jap one with bigger screen and big display on the cluster instead of the tiny window. also that means better idrive version. its a big difference when you know what you are looking at.

 

100% agreed on $30k+ for a povo 116/118/120/125 just because its newer and lower mileage. its going to depreciate rapidly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, qube said:

these numbers sound about right since i was getting 8-9km/l on the 130i. 

honestly, the thing is a hoot to drive but rides harsh and fuel economy is bad.

the 116i sport variant around 2012-2014 for under 15k is a great deal on a new car but the thing is most of them are poverty pack, we were lucky to get a jap one with bigger screen and big display on the cluster instead of the tiny window. also that means better idrive version. its a big difference when you know what you are looking at.

 

100% agreed on $30k+ for a povo 116/118/120/125 just because its newer and lower mileage. its going to depreciate rapidly.

There's a good case for a $15K 116i Msport (I just don't like the non-Msport aesthetic) but yes need to check the spec...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

There's a good case for a $15K 116i Msport (I just don't like the non-Msport aesthetic) but yes need to check the spec...

Since you are in Wellington feel free to PM me if you are interested in the 130i and want a test drive!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

what we should do is I drive down to wellington, sell Pete my M135 and buy Koda's 130 and drive it back up. win-win-win situation

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, qube said:

what we should do is I drive down to wellington, sell Pete my M135 and buy Koda's 130 and drive it back up. win-win-win situation

This.  Do it tomorrow, and you can fit in bonus BMW Club pub night with Bimmersport 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2019 at 1:38 PM, qube said:

what we should do is I drive down to wellington, sell Pete my M135 and buy Koda's 130 and drive it back up. win-win-win situation

Tempting proposition :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any other interest here? Relisted on TM now too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

best way to sell your car is to convince Pete to buy mine then i'll be there :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×