Sign in to follow this  
Justsendit

Newbie.

First time posting. Looking to mod my car Haha BMW 320i n46b20nb Haha love my bmws but hard to find people who who anything about them

20181111_151554.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome. Everyone here knows that infamous engine im afraid, be sure keep some money aside just in case.

7 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Welcome. Everyone here knows that infamous engine im afraid, be sure keep some money aside just in case.

Honestly I've never turbod a car before so this is more aimed and training myself some dos and do nots. I've already stripped it and rebuilt it and had it running before it threw some codes for the valvetronic motor so decided I'd upgrade the head studs and make some other tweaks and try running some boost and see how I go. If it runs I'll be plenty happy enough tbh

Right. Can't say i know much about what 4 cylinder engines are good to turbo, but it seems an odd choice of an engine to use unless you really wanted the E90 chassis. 

From what I've read it's not a good idea. I thought I was getting the car cheap and I was ill informed when I purchased the car and thought I was getting a steal. Haha failed. So I'm working with what I've got until I can afford more. 

• Like 1

Is it a wagon or just the angle of the pic? Looks good to me.

And welcome! :)

Edited by M3AN

Welcome to the forum, how deep are your pockets. If I may sit down and work out the cost of what you wish to do to the n46 engine and compare it to a 6cylinder transplant. Or simply sell the car and purchase one with a 6 i.e. 330. This may seem harsh but the history of these  engines is not good. As I have a e46 compact which had a n42 motor now has a m54b25 a far better combination.  Best of luck with what ever path you decide to take.

1 minute ago, allan said:

Welcome to the forum, how deep are your pockets. If I may sit down and work out the cost of what you wish to do to the n46 engine and compare it to a 6cylinder transplant. Or simply sell the car and purchase one with a 6 i.e. 330. This may seem harsh but the history of these  engines is not good. As I have a e46 compact which had a n42 motor now has a m54b25 a far better combination.  Best of luck with what ever path you decide to take.

My pockets aren't deep Haha. Plan is to teach some fundamentals then transplant a m54 in either a b25 or b30 after I have had a successful (or unsuccessful) run with the motor I have ie if I can run boost on this and run the motor for a while I'll be happy. Then I'll probably take the parts off I need for the conversion off my 4cyl. Turbo etc then work a transplant. I would love to transplant but feel I need some more experience with the e90 particularly the electrical aspects before I go for it haha

38 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Is it a wagon or just the angle of the pic? Looks good to me.

And welcome! :)

Just the angle Haha love the car though

2 hours ago, Justsendit said:

My pockets aren't deep Haha. Plan is to teach some fundamentals then transplant a m54 in either a b25 or b30 after I have had a successful (or unsuccessful) run with the motor I have ie if I can run boost on this and run the motor for a while I'll be happy. Then I'll probably take the parts off I need for the conversion off my 4cyl. Turbo etc then work a transplant. I would love to transplant but feel I need some more experience with the e90 particularly the electrical aspects before I go for it haha

That sounds like a plan a quick check shows the e90 range had the following engines 2.5L N52, 3.0l N52/ N53, 3.0l N54/n55 twin turbo charged plus the S65 v8. So a reasonable range and each with its own good and bad points. Your last statement, feel I need some more experience with the e90 particularly the electrical aspects before I go for it haha, oh so true. As I discovered when undertaking my project do heaps of research and research as  their are a number of things that will come up. Ask questions of people on here as the e90 range has been around for awhile now and as they age more mods will be carried out best of luck.

Yeah I plan to take my time and do everything slowly. I've rebuilt the motor already so know the mechanical side very well but not the electrical side so well Haha 

The problem with the electrics is it becomes more complex with every model the security levels keep increasing. Its not only the phyiscal components but also the inter connecting of electronic units and codingthat is used. Don't get me wrong any thing is possible but at what cost both money wise and time. Have no doubt by now someone will have carried out such a transplant even here in little old NZ.