Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Why do new BMW's have tachometers that spin backwards ?

?   ?     ?

It was stupid on Aston Martins

Dumb on Peugeots, especially so with the tiny toy steering wheel.

Now it's being embraced wholesale by a "sensible" German car maker.

?

• Like 2

Car evolution has stopped and gone down the stupid path of pointless features, this is all they can do in some cases, just mess around with parts that never needed changing. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Michael. said:

Car evolution has stopped and gone down the stupid path of pointless features, this is all they can do in some cases, just mess around with parts that never needed changing. 

car designers try to keep there jobs by just changing things around for no point

• Like 2

My old 944 tach was backwards too, had something to do with putting the redline point in an easily viewable spot between the steering wheel spokes and close to the speedo. 

fffa2370-b494-469f-ab26-522d29218896.jpg

So the main dials form a mirror image?

God only knows, all the self respecting engineers have left the BMW building.

Interestingly the latest episode of The Grand Tour features the new M850i.

While the three slag off each others' cars no mention was made of the reverse tacho in the M850i.

Thanks for the reminder Jacko, the 944 is not really backwards as the needle moves in a clockwise direction, just has a different start point.

?

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 1

So which way is forwards, and which is backwards..? Clockwise..? Anti-clock..?

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

God only knows, all the self respecting engineers have left the BMW building.

Havent Kia and Hyundai snapped up all the BMW and VAG designers and engineers...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, coop said:

Havent Kia and Hyundai snapped up all the BMW and VAG designers and engineers...

Correct

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

So which way is forwards, and which is backwards..? Clockwise..? Anti-clock..?

clockwise = forwards

anti-clockwise = backwards

?

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

clockwise = forwards

?

276DAC5C-8587-40F4-B8DB-D73745008033.jpeg

2019, 430i

So..?

6 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Thanks for the reminder Jacko, the 944 is not really backwards as the needle moves in a clockwise direction, just has a different start point.

?

was about to say the same.  zsensible Porsche instrumentation from Zuffenhausen. ?

here's a 1970 917...

poster_22707.jpg?itok=Q7kNrwuL

image from Classic Driver via google search

Does it really matter? I barely use it unless the engine is running funny

• Like 1

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

2019, 430i

What's the difference between "Off" at zero RPM and "Ready" at zero RPM? And does it ever sit at "Ready" - assuming not, what's it for? Idiots?

19 minutes ago, M3AN said:

What's the difference between "Off" at zero RPM and "Ready" at zero RPM? And does it ever sit at "Ready" - assuming not, what's it for? Idiots?

It's to do with stop/start function. Engine turns it off to save fuel/meet emissions and sits at ready so you know that once you release the brake the engine starts automatically 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

clockwise = forwards

?

If it's round then there is no start or end point so which way is forwards ?

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

2019, 430i

So..?

?

2019 M850i

resize.php?img=9631

2019 X5

2019-bmw-x5-m50d.jpg

2019 3-series

2019-bmw-3-series-46.jpg

10 minutes ago, Gaz said:

If it's round then there is no start or end point so which way is forwards ?

True except for car dials measuring something.

The start point is the smallest number, usually zero; the end point being the biggest number.

?

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The start point is the smallest number, usually zero; the end point being the biggest number.

?

Based on that, are they still backwards?

2 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

2019, 430i

So..?

That's Idrive6 Jon, the G series vehicles have Idrive7 and have what Oldtimer has posted above

Man it hurts my eyes looking at those latest interiors. That instrument cluster looks like BMW's attempt to one up their rivals, go back to the 1980's and it would fit right in.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jacko said:

My old 944 tach was backwards too, had something to do with putting the redline point in an easily viewable spot between the steering wheel spokes and close to the speedo. 

fffa2370-b494-469f-ab26-522d29218896.jpg

But that’s still clockwise, so that’s the right way then apparently?

Or is it also a problem if it’s “upside down” does that also make it backwards? Is where the zero point starts also fundamental to the basic understanding of such a complicated gauge?

Seen plenty of race tachos set up like that, the important bit that the driver should see is the red line, not the zero.

55 minutes ago, Gaz said:

That's Idrive6 Jon, the G series vehicles have Idrive7 and have what Oldtimer has posted above

More precisely it’s the iD6 with the extended display option added, so you get the same configurable TFT screen as you do with iD7 although graphics are slightly different.

its also still a new BMW, which apparently has a backwards tacho. 

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

You know what they say about assuming? When the engine has been cut out to save fuel, it sits at the “Ready” point,as it is ready to start as soon as you release the brake or depress the clutch (if manual). 

The off position is different as this is for when the engine has been completely switched off.

So as they are different states of operation of the engine it is useful to differentiate between the two. Especially when parking up.

9 hours ago, M3AN said:

The means to an end,  what is fairly hard to see from the images posted by Oldtimer of the dash, is that the display area between the speed “ring” on the left and the tacho ring on the right is a configuable part of the display. You can just about see part of the Navigation route in the M850i photo, along with the driving mode “sport” and gear selected - P.

By moving the tacho ring to the outside it makes the available display area much larger and more useable. Also makes for a much more balanced display imho, due to the symmetry.

There are other pieces of information which can be shown in this area depending on your settings.

All three areas of the display work together, the central display, dash area and the head-up display. You can choose what you want to display where, depending on your personal preferences as to what you feel is important.

Also gives you limitless variations to try while you sit in traffic.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Except it is the sensor that is making the measurement, and the dial is then converting that measurement into a display for the information to be understood.

Or not, as the case may be.

The backwards tacho isn't what gets me, it's the f**k ugly "futuristic" look of those full LCD clusters. The 430i one looks great in comparison. 

• Like 2