Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

MG - I thought they were dead, and that was happier.

https://mgmotor.co.nz/

What happened?! Went from making cool little sports car to being a chinese badge cranking out more shitty compact soft offroaders... 

Forget that, I saw the other day they are advertising a f**king VAN (MG V80) under the MG brand!

Nothing is sacred anymore. 

Edited by KwS
  • Sad 1

Part of the fall-out of the death of Rover Group was the loss of the "MG" name, to (I think SAIC) a Chinese car manufacturer. They have been trying to build a presence in NZ for a number of years, with cheap but pretty poor quality cars. You could argue that this is just a continuation of the last few Rover Group MGs, like the MG Metro and the MG Montego. Any prestige in the name has long since been lost.

I like the way the web-site says "since 1927" trying to capitalise on their history. They also often refer to the fact that they still have a "British base" which is probably just a PO BOx that someone empties once a month and forwards to Shanghai.

The good news is that MG are currently looking for dealers in NZ, so if you are interested in getting on board with this brand, now's your chance.

I think I read somewhere that SAIC, who owns all those Chinese brands, were going to go out and have their own SAIC branded dealerships that encompassed all the sub-brands, and did away with the specific dealers? Maybe i read it wrong?

Worse yet, I was in London last month and there is a big flash dealer showroom in Piccadilly. It’s right across from Fortnum & Mason. 

I got excited, until I saw what was inside... 

20 hours ago, KwS said:

I think I read somewhere that SAIC, who owns all those Chinese brands, were going to go out and have their own SAIC branded dealerships that encompassed all the sub-brands, and did away with the specific dealers? Maybe i read it wrong?

IIRC the issue with SAIC was that they had done a deal with an importer, to bring in Great Wall and LDV vehicles, and then decided less than a year later they didn't need and importer and would do it themselves. Which didn't go down too well with the importer that had signed up as you would expect.

This is the advert for MG... that Iconic British brand.. hmm.

Capture.PNG

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Before they went broke the Xpower stuff was pretty out there. Factory option for nitrous and 1000bhp :D

Check out the latest video from Bad Obsession Motorsport... If you like the MG XPower, you may wet yourself. 

• Like 2

On 3/26/2019 at 8:29 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

MG was a joke well before SAIC got them. The only way from here is up, I reckon.

They've been a joke since the MGB got rubber bumpers.

2 hours ago, dirtydoogle said:

They've been a joke since the MGB got rubber bumpers.

#murica >_<

Four dealers signed up to peddle these monsters to the public, over 30 of the things registered last month (mostly demos).

They do have a fully electric SUV in the pipeline which could be interesting.

You'd have to have actual brain damage to hand over your cash for such an abomination of a brand.

Even before the Chinese investment these things were embarrassing. 

Sure the MGB GT from 50 years ago was kinda cool in relative terms but I think they have all rusted away anyhow! 

49 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Sure the MGB GT from 50 years ago was kinda cool in relative terms but I think they have all rusted away anyhow! 

No, they really haven't. They're still a good drive, and a cheap way into classic motoring. 

The Chinese ones though, I agree, brain-dead to buy. 

Looking at their web-site, the level of spec and options you get on what looks to be a very cheap car are pretty good. Although it is very hard to judge the level and quality of the materials used from a few web-pictures. Plus of course then there is the drive and handling to consider, but at first sight on paper they are a halfway decent proposition.

Depreciation is another issue - what the value of a used MG3 would be in 3 years time is anyone's guess, but then who buys a new car as an investment or a rational decision anyways? Costs look to be covered with inclusive servicing and warranty.

The offering from the major Chinese players has improved a long way, especially now they are looking outside their own market, so it could well be a reasonable buy for the budget customer. We shall see how they go. My only real gripe is the blatant ripping off of the "British" heritage in the marketing, and the "since 1924 bit" hmm..

• Like 3

7 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Looking at their web-site, the level of spec and options you get on what looks to be a very cheap car are pretty good. Although it is very hard to judge the level and quality of the materials used from a few web-pictures. Plus of course then there is the drive and handling to consider, but at first sight on paper they are a halfway decent proposition.

Depreciation is another issue - what the value of a used MG3 would be in 3 years time is anyone's guess, but then who buys a new car as an investment or a rational decision anyways? Costs look to be covered with inclusive servicing and warranty.

The offering from the major Chinese players has improved a long way, especially now they are looking outside their own market, so it could well be a reasonable buy for the budget customer. We shall see how they go. My only real gripe is the blatant ripping off of the "British" heritage in the marketing, and the "since 1924 bit" hmm..

I was lucky enough to visit the BYD HQ in China recently. They had a SUV about the size of a Mazda CX7 I guess and it was actually pretty well put together. If you were in the market for a Kia or Hyundai you’d definitely look at one. Also options for fully electric too. 

Edited by NZ BMW