Sign in to follow this  
nzodea

NZ GPS DVD

I have read a few threads here on converting to NZ sat nav. I just got an ex UK 2005 E61 and all the electronics are working fine. It asks for the GPS DVD on the i.drive.

If what I am reading is correct it's not as simple as getting a dvd and putting it in. 

I see a company in auckland on trademe (autogravity) doing upgrades. 

It seems for cost, getting a Garmin GPS/dashcam unit might be a better way to go. n( I have one in my truck.

Is it worth doing it the BMW unit? does it have additional features worth having?

cheers

I have the DVD nav working in my ex UK e61 and it is a very dated system now, I prefer to use Google maps on my phone. 

29 minutes ago, aja540i said:

I have the DVD nav working in my ex UK e61 and it is a very dated system now, I prefer to use Google maps on my phone. 

I was thinking the same thing. Can you bluetooth the spoken directions through your radio or just the phoine speaker?

I use a Garmin GPS in my ex-Japan e60.  I can get by with Google Maps on my phone, but the Garmin is better and gives me more notice for turns.  

7 hours ago, nzodea said:

I was thinking the same thing. Can you bluetooth the spoken directions through your radio or just the phoine speaker?

I have added a Dension bluetooth module for streaming music so I get the notifications through the stereo if my phone is connected.

11 hours ago, aja540i said:

I have added a Dension bluetooth module for streaming music so I get the notifications through the stereo if my phone is connected.

which model did you get? they look pretty much plug and play?

E60 would use a Dension Gateway 500s-bt if you have a CD changer. 

7 hours ago, hugo_nz said:

E60 would use a Dension Gateway 500s-bt if you have a CD changer. 

Thats the one.