Sign in to follow this  
Gorrington

Vehicle compliance..

15 hours ago, KwS said:

If compliance is anything like getting my dereg mini reregistered, everyone you ask, even in the same branch, will give different answers. I'd hope it was better since the recent shake up though. 

reregistering is completely different to being registered for the first time

8 hours ago, KwS said:

That's not the wording at all. It's when the car is over 20 years old. 

Ok, interesting, that’s changed then. I had to wait for my vert to get to 20 years before I could ship it over.

On 3/29/2019 at 11:25 PM, M3AN said:

Can you bring a vehicle in and not seek to register it, thereby avoiding compliance? And then store it for x time (say, until it's 20 years old) then register it? How would you get a track-only car into the country (for example)?

It seems if it's already on a boat, and there's a chance that it won't comply, then you'd need to find some other path to follow to avoid having to walk away from it.

Back when I was importing cars in the early 2000's it all went by the date it arrived at the NZ ports.  So holding onto it for 20 years wouldn't work.

There could be changes made to that rule now but I doubt it.

^^^ See above Dan and follow the link to NZTA, it does not mention anything specifically about arrival date on the web-site and I'm pretty sure it used to.

16 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

^^^ See above Dan and follow the link to NZTA, it does not mention anything specifically about arrival date on the web-site and I'm pretty sure it used to.

To be honest it doesn't really matter.  Who wants to store a car for 20 years with no idea how the laws will change in that time.

I would say in the next 20 the noose will tighten for petrol cars.

Does anyone have any experience of compliance in Australia.? Is it similar to here.? There's a chance I may be relocating over to Melbourne later in the year. I guess it's pointless doing  compliance here if I'll have to do it over there as well in a few months.. 

It's about 100 times more difficult to get a car into Australia than here (new or used). That's a legacy of protectionism for their (now dead) car manufacturing industry. Good luck.

Yeah, as Dave said, much more difficult to get anything into Aussie due to their stupid rules. With an E39 M5... snowball in hell's chance, sorry.

12 hours ago, Gorrington said:

Does anyone have any experience of compliance in Australia.? Is it similar to here.? There's a chance I may be relocating over to Melbourne later in the year. I guess it's pointless doing  compliance here if I'll have to do it over there as well in a few months.. 

Read up on their private import laws. 

You can take one vehicle over with you as a private import. But it has to be imported within the first year (or two, can’t remember) of you arriving in Australia, to live. It’s been a while since I looked into it. 

I don’t know how it goes, with you being in NZ and the car in the UK. How long have you owned the car for? This may effect chances of taking one over as a private import. 

It may be worth the hassle. There is an E39 M5 on carsales for $125k. 

And it hasn’t been mentioned on here, but one was put on Facebook in the South Island last week for $75k. 

It seems these are going the way of most other desirable classics and are becoming out of reach for most car enthusiasts. 

Another case just gone through the disputes tribunal here, car mysteriously managed to develop a long list of WoF failing faults whilst sitting on the dealers yard for a month and travelling less than a thousand kms. Unfortunately NZTA doesn't seem to have the time / money / resources to follow up on these cases and go back to the compliance centre with a "please explain..." notice.