Sign in to follow this  
Jakkals

Leak on 2007 BMW 120i Motorsport

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and this is my 1st post. We had this BMW for around 5 years and enjoyed it. Now it belongs to my son.

It started developing a leak at the back of the engine and dripping on the exhaust causing a lot of smoke. It looks like the leak is coming from the black plastic cover next to the vacuum pump at the back of the engine. I don't know what this plastic cover's function is and how to remove this to check for seals. I have search the internet for any info on this, but came up empty handed.

I only see the leak from the right side including the bolt on this cover. It looks like water, to thick for oil, but I'm not sure. It does not leak at the start, only around 10min plus on idle or driving.

See pic of my sons car and an online pic as reference for the black plastic cover with the 4 bolts holding it below:

20170411_172523.thumb.jpg.042ce869f0c7dce33e9388122903ab5c.jpg

1327260185_E87enginerear.thumb.jpg.164abfa7d78f65b2347adc7f21fcf485.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

Maybe this post should be under maintenance. Please move this if this is in wrong forum group.

Regards,

Jacques

Edited by Jakkals
Added text
  • Like 1

Welkom Jacques, baie mooi BMW (for the English speaking - welcome Jacques, beautiful BMW).

My son had the 130i, and that was a beast. Unfortunately I cannot provide assistance here, but I'm sure there are many other Bimmersporters that will be able to help.

Groete,

Charl

Dankie Viskop. All good mate, I know someone on here will be able to assist.

Cheers,

Jacques

Not an easy DIY if you don't have the right tools or mechanical knowledge. I suggest BM workshop Auckland or Botany branch.

This is why I'm here, I can help myself and have tools or friends that have tools that I can borrow :) I replaced my cruiser engine, replaced rav's timing belt and fix stuff myself. I would like to give this at least a try if it is not to difficult. If the process to fix this is too involve then I will go the BMW Workshop.

So my question is what is that black plastic part and what is it function and what is involve in replacing it or its seals etc. Does it involve removing the head for easy access, pull engine (Hopefully not) etc.

Cheers,

Jacques

The part in question is a coolant passage blanking plate. A new plate comes with gaskets and can be replaced without removing head or engine, its just a very tight job.

Thanks Lubed, that helped a lot. I was able to order the part and the coolant from BMW workshop. I could not get my hand far enough to get to all the bolts. I acquired my daughter's help and we got the part replaced within 15 min. I owe her big time, I meant my son owes her :)

BMW is now leak free until the next one. Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers, Jacques