Sign in to follow this  
gjm

1-series E81 / E87

Early days, but considering one of these.

It'll be a 116i, 118i or 120i. 4 cylinders. Performance is not an important criteria; reliability and economy are.

I know well enough to stay clear of the N42 engine, but that doesn't apply. The models we'd looking at would have either the N45 or N46 engine; I seem to recall that the N46 isn't especially great, either, but I know little of the N45. I understand the timing chain needs to be looked after/replaced, and that VANOS can cause vibration. And that using **good** oil and fuel are very important.

Any thoughts? Other than the engines, what should we look out for? Any longer-term owners have experiences (good or bad) they can share?

I thought the general consensus was avoid the 4 bangers like aids, because of unreliability and the economy difference wasn't worth it against a 6 pot?

• Like 1

Not a lot to add, except... would you be interested in a 116d Manual...? It's a 2.0d engine de-tuned so easy to get the power / torque back up. Pretty nippy as is with the benefit of "Feel like a proper race car driver" manual transmission...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KwS said:

I thought the general consensus was avoid the 4 bangers like aids, because of unreliability and the economy difference wasn't worth it against a 6 pot?

I think that all the 4-pots got tarred with the N42 brush, but could be wrong. Hence the question.

40 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Not a lot to add, except... would you be interested in a 116d Manual...? It's a 2.0d engine de-tuned so easy to get the power / torque back up. Pretty nippy as is with the benefit of "Feel like a proper race car driver" manual transmission...

I'd be interested... Filling up once a week, if then, is so attractive! Drop me a line?
Looking to the future for Miss M's next car. Something to eventually replace the E46 318i (M43, not N42!).

46 minutes ago, qube said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2012518824

pretty much as cheap as it gets these days.

not much difference in price between these and some E46 1.8L varients etc

1 NZ owner... How many in Japan? ;)

That is cheap.  ?