Sign in to follow this  
Bruce 1234

e39 parts

Hello.

I have recently bought a 540i E39 (1999), which is my first BMW.

My question is, are panels, lights, handles etc interchangeable between the various 5 series (540, 530, 528)? I understand the engine / trans combo's are different, what else is / isn't?

Specifically, my right rear door won't open from the outside. I've just pulled the handle, carrier, and latch off to have a squiz - the cable doesn't pull up far enough to open the catch - and see if I can fix it. If I need replacement bits, do these have to come from a 540i, or will any E39 5 series do? Any advice on these handles?

Thanks.

Bruce

Bruce, you need the last 7 digits of your vehicle's VIN- this will look like XX12345. Enter this into realoem.com and explore to your hearts content.

Generally speaking, panels, trim, lights etc will be interchangeable on a pre-facelift E39 with other pre-facelift E39s. Some things will not be interchangeable with a facelift E39. Anything electronic will almost certainly be a no go with pre/post facelift, the electronic architecture changed quite a lot, they didn't just stick different bumpers on. I am unsure about the specifics of E39 doors regarding changes post facelift, but any pre-facelift door (520i through to M5) will fit just fine.

Thanks. Just been having a look through the site. It's actually really good for finding the location and purpose of all the different relays too. Might help me fix my other gremlin.