Sign in to follow this  
Wagon man

330i E46 won't start, electrical humming noise

Hi everyone, I'm in the middle of a 318i to m54b30 + manual conversion and I'm having an issue with starting. When the ignition is switched to on, I'm hearing an electrical sounding hum from the intake side of the motor. To eliminate some possible causes, I've got an ECU with the immobilizer delete so the ews system is not relevant, the ECU is also tuned to manual so it's not the car looking for an auto box. To double check, I've put the original 330i ECU in the car, with the corresponding ews box and chip and was still getting the same issue, the battery is in good condition, the starter motor has been replaced. All the dash lights come on, fuel pump primes, all the normal sounds are made however the hum is persistent, and the car doesn't even crank. The hum continues for about 10 seconds after the ignition has been switched off. Any ideas would be very welcome. Cheers. 

have you joined pin 8 on the ews plug  to brake switch wiring??

Edited by BM WORLD

On 4/7/2019 at 5:00 AM, Wagon man said:

Hi everyone, I'm in the middle of a 318i to m54b30 + manual conversion and I'm having an issue with starting. When the ignition is switched to on, I'm hearing an electrical sounding hum from the intake side of the motor. To eliminate some possible causes, I've got an ECU with the immobilizer delete so the ews system is not relevant, the ECU is also tuned to manual so it's not the car looking for an auto box. To double check, I've put the original 330i ECU in the car, with the corresponding ews box and chip and was still getting the same issue, the battery is in good condition, the starter motor has been replaced. All the dash lights come on, fuel pump primes, all the normal sounds are made however the hum is persistent, and the car doesn't even crank. The hum continues for about 10 seconds after the ignition has been switched off. Any ideas would be very welcome. Cheers. 

Did you ever figure this out? Having the exact same issue currently on my 330i