Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Anyone have experience with the N57 engines?

I'm looking at cars powered by the N57 engine.

Has anyone got any experience, warnings, love with them?

Read up a bit about them but just wondering about local knowledge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N57

N57.jpg

#metoo

From what I have read on forums people are saying they are pretty reliable. 

Also interested in local feedback. 

Solid engines, DPF can cause issues if it hasnt been through enough cleaning cycles but can be cleaned with a chemical spray or bathed and blasted if it gets very bad. 

They also like to be serviced more often than every 60,000kms. Had a customer come in with a failed turbo due lack of servicing

Have loved driving plenty of cars and SUVs with these engines in them, especially the N57S triple-turbo, but never been able to have one long enough to know about the problems and maintenance side of them. I am biased towards a big diesel anyway, but these were such a big jump from the previous generation in terms of driveability and also the reduction in noise.

As Gaz says above servicing is key, and always with quality oil and filters - all filters as well, oil, air, fuel, etc. One that has been driven hard on long runs could also be in better shape inside than one that has done fewer kms, but nana'd around on short trips. Need a good hard run to get it running hot and blow the cobwebs out.

Good to hear. By the looks of things I will be commuting on the open road. So one of these looks to be the go. Just got to decide which chassis to go with now. 

Great engine (in my relatively brief experience). I've got the Z (twin-turbo) version in my 335d xdrive - I doubt the combination of economy and performance on offer can be beaten without an EV. I too am a bit skeptical of 32k / 2 year service intervals so changing the oil every 15k km or so. 

Edit: also be aware that pre-September 2015 engines are included in the EGR cooler recall

Edited by balancerider

Have had my N57D30T1 for almost a year now and done close to 15k. Absolutely love it and take it any day over a N55 (had one of those for almost a year too). 

Pulls like a freight train yet consumes only 5.5-6L on an open road. Central Auckland only is around 9L if you push it around a bit.

There is a number of variations of N57 though and as I understand it not all N57 are the same in terms of reliability.  

I had an N55 too.  Was great.  But I just want a newer vehicle this time around.

As for servicing.  My intervals would be much shorter than what they recommend.  I thought their recommendation was a typo.

I'm thinking a cheap late model E90 LCI or something.  As long as it is comfy and goes the distance.  Seems many of the NZ new ones are poverty pack editions.  Zero options were ticked when selecting the vehicles.

N55 is as new as the N57 :D

Our N55 535i can get down to 7L/100km on the open road and averages about 10.  Agree the N57 is a little gruntier though.  Not going to be a huge cost difference once RUC is added.

Depending on budget the F30 328i or F10 528i with the 2.0 turbo could be an option, far newer cars than the E90, and economical.  Have seen both at $20k and a few under.

1 hour ago, GorGasm said:

Not going to be a huge cost difference once RUC is added.

I work it out as being about double in (fuel) running costs?

Nope, by my workinng it's about 1:1 at 10L/100km, petrol vs diesel when diesel includes RUC.  $2.25 for petrol, $1.55 for diesel.

If your diesel gets 2L/100km better then diesel is better by between 5-15%

Diesel is suited to 2+ Tonne SUVs where petrol use would be over 15L/100km, a diesel can get 10 or under.

Edited by GorGasm

I'm looking at a 2011 E90.  It is well spec'd and about $14K less than the equivalent spec'd nice looking F30.

It seems all the Poverty spec F30's with the Granddad color schemes went to NZ.

It will only be a temporary car though.  And will only ever be commuting between the Wairarapa and Wellington.

From my own experience with both N55 and N57:

535i F11 - a $100 in petrol would last me about a week, standard daily "city - over the bridge - city" commute with an occasional out of town trip. Or $200 in two weeks.

640D F06 - a $100 in diesel (full tank is actually $90 something) will last me just over two weeks for the same commute. That's about 800km of travels per tank. URC is $0.06 per km or about $48 per tank in my case. $148 in two weeks. 

10 minutes ago, m325i said:

$2500 per year is meaningful.

My numbers are per fortnight so half of that :D 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

I'm looking at a 2011 E90.  It is well spec'd and about $14K less than the equivalent spec'd nice looking F30.

It seems all the Poverty spec F30's with the Granddad color schemes went to NZ.

M-sport wasn't available to order at the start of F30, and when it was first available was heavily restricted - so the early cars would be SE or Sport Line or god forbid Urban Line.

E90 LCI 335d M-Sport would be a great car, especially for that commute. Where you going to be working?

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

E90 LCI 335d M-Sport would be a great car, especially for that commute. Where you going to be working?

I believe the E90 335d used the M57 all the way through, whereas the 330d changed to the N57 around facelift. Still a nice engine but fairly old tech now

I'd take the 30kW extra over the 330d

Would be in Wellington no doubt.  I'm looking at 330D's or the 325D which surprisingly has the exact same N57 with a different tune.

I don't think the extra for a 335D is worth the money.

I was looking at this car.  I low balled him and he accepted.  It was listed for $16K.  Now $14K.  He accepted $13K and I reckon would go lower.

2011 E90 325D ,  NZ New.  110KMs.  Motorsport.  

Though the ad is a cluster f**k.  Decoding the vin tells what it actually is.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1985367915

https://www.mdecoder.com/decode/f149557

I hate the wheels on it though.  Would dump them for some stock 18's.  But decided rather than ask mates to look at cars for me I will just wait till I get back and do it myself.

after seeing this thread i did have a quick nosey at the e90 diesels on trademe and noticed that white one also.

is a 320d horrible? 

8 minutes ago, qube said:

is a 320d horrible? 

not horrible by any means. just the straight 6 has more refinement / less clatter compared to the diesel 4cyl

28 minutes ago, qube said:

after seeing this thread i did have a quick nosey at the e90 diesels on trademe and noticed that white one also.

is a 320d horrible? 

Not at all!

21 minutes ago, balancerider said:

not horrible by any means. just the straight 6 has more refinement / less clatter compared to the diesel 4cyl

And I will confess to considering the possibility of a M57 / manual gearbox swap for the 320d Touring...

10 hours ago, qube said:

is a 320d horrible? 

Its not a 320d. It's a 325d with the 3ltr N57. The ad is a cluster f**k. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Its not a 320d. It's a 325d with the 3ltr N57. The ad is a cluster f**k. 

Yea i realised that when i saw it. I did my own digging. Hahaha

i meant is the 320d model okay as there were way more 320d compared to a couple 325d options. 

Are you keen on a w211 e280 for sale? My old man is selling haha

325d is a bit of an odd-ball model, with the detuned 6-cyl, usually only really offered in bigger markets with lots of diesel sales to bridge the price walk from the 320d to the 330d.

Interestingly was offered new in NZ, as well as the 320d, 330d and 335d, blimey. Sold in reasonable numbers but the 320d was the volume model for E90, much better car than the 320i.