Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Anyone have experience with the N57 engines?

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Sold in reasonable numbers but the 320d was the volume model for E90, much better car than the 320i.

but how many E90 320i's on the road now vs the 320d?

oh wait, most 320i's are probably off the road already with chronic engine failures!

• Haha 1

I bought an 08 E90 320d msport with the 6-speed manual a few months ago as a daily. It had done 150k kms with a good service history and cost much less than that 325d on TM.

I did just under 42k kms last year with my boys football so needed something frugal and I have to say it's one of the best cars I've ever driven.

It's incredibly comfortable (I'm 6"5 and this is the lowest I've ever sat in a BMW with sports seats), the interior is immaculate and it's surprisingly quiet on the motorway. The best bit is it pulls like a freight train once it's rolling. You have to change gear a lot obviously but the torque is just intoxicating.

Be wary of any advertised consumption figures as I've found they are well out on a combined journey. Having said that our E53 3.0 petrol did the same driving for two years and I would get around 750 kms on a full tank. This costs less than half the X5 to fill and I'm getting close to 1200kms before filling up again. I'm not taking it easy either. I did for the first week or two but when I saw how far I was going to get I thought, sod it., lets just have some fun. 

Performance is pretty reasonable too, I can get up and over the Paekok hill significantly quicker than I do in the E34.

For a cheap daily I don't think they can be beaten to be honest and I'm now looking at 535d's to replace the X5.

[e] N47 compared to your N57 I know, but significantly cheaper and why spend too much on a daily.

Edited by martyyyn

7 hours ago, m325i said:

Were many 330d F30 estates sold new in NZ?

Not an insignificant number, mainly pre-facelift ones. I've seen probably 8-10 come up for sale in last 12 months. They were the highest performance wagon til they brought in the 340i in 2017 (apart from a handful of special order 335i tourers)

• Like 1

Not quite correct, even with putting aside my pedant hat and letting the F30 estates slide.

At launch of the F31, the xDrive models were not available in RHD variants so the range was launched with 318d, 320i, 328i and 335i models. A few months later the xDrive models were then introduced in RHS and the 320d xDrive  and 330d xDrive models were added to the line up. The 335i was kept in the offering, even though the sales were pretty slow.

Overall 62 of the 330d xDrive models have been sold so far NZ new. There were also four 330d pre-pro cars brought in during 2016, these were RWD variants, not xDrive.

The F31 330d xDrive would have to be in the top three of all-round road cars I have ever driven in terms of performance, comfort, practicality and economy it is such a great all round package. Would love to try the 335d and also looking forward to the M340d in the new G21.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The 335i was kept in the offering, even though the sales were pretty slow.

The F31 330d xDrive would have to be in the top three of all-round road cars I have ever driven in terms of performance, comfort, practicality and economy it is such a great all round package. Would love to try the 335d and also looking forward to the M340d in the new G21.

Thought you might be able to come up with the exact numbers Jon!

How many F31 335i's were sold here? I've only seen 3, manual EBII and two auto's, one blue and one black.

I was seriously considering a 335i/d F31 but there were none for sale. Not a single 535d F11 either. 

That was a year ago, not much changed since then.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:49 PM, sobanoodle said:

I was seriously considering a 335i/d F31 but there were none for sale. Not a single 535d F11 either. 

That was a year ago, not much changed since then.

TBH the NZ car market is very very depressing.  sh*t I wish we were LHD.

• Like 1

As a follow up to this - the 335d had a spirited outing up the Remutaka Hill this morning. Xdrive is just awesome with a slightly damp road, there’s a little rear end shimmy and then it just shuffles the torque to the front and grips. Initially I’d wished they still made a rear drive 335d and had second thoughts about getting a 340i instead but now I think the xdrive + diesel torque is the perfect combo 

On 4/11/2019 at 3:39 PM, balancerider said:

Thought you might be able to come up with the exact numbers Jon!

How many F31 335i's were sold here? I've only seen 3, manual EBII and two auto's, one blue and one black.

Fresh import f31 335i for ya

https://www.turners.co.nz/Cars/Used-Cars-for-Sale/bmw/335i/19132604

Shame it's Luxury Line, always a bit polarising in terms of styling.

Very few NZ new F31 335i, I only counted the diesels, not the 335i, but it was a pretty small number overall, quite a few imports come in now - not hundreds but a few around.

Concur - the majority of the imports seem to be luxury line version without sport auto gearbox / m-sport suspension (presumably cheaper at japanese auctions). I test drove a low km brown 335i a couple of years ago, not sure I'm old enough to own a brown car yet though