Cammsport

E30 Bronzit Coupe Project

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

Where do I find an iS lip? 

Still available from dealers for around $140

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought mine from euroturbo.nz along with the driveshaft hoops. From memory it was $150. Didn't realise BMW still sold them.

Got around to dropping the E30 off at the local mechanics for a wheel alignment and WOF, pre-certification. Was expecting it to be pulled up for something, but not this stuff. The guy was notably a lot more thorough than normal with our other cars (not complaining). Biggest problem is the new XYZ struts fouling on the front tyres. The perches and springs are touching the tyres which is very odd considering the tyres are OEM spec (205/55/15) along with the basket weaves (15”x7” et24). I followed the install booklet for spring height also as the book states that ideally the spring should compress by 1/3rd when on the ground. Best outcome will be the supplier providing shorter springs that maintain the nice feel of the current spring rate and hopefully come to the party and pay for the front tyres to be replaced. Doubt the latter will happen to be honest. Next on the list to fix will be the headlight aim although this may be tough without the gadgetry. WOF guy wasn’t keen to adjust as he was afraid he’d break the brittle plastic adjusters. Something I’ll have to figure out. Sway bar bushes, wiper blades, loose bolt and boot clamps are all easy fixes and oversight by me. The leak on the new Z3 rack is hopefully a banjo bolt that just needs a nip up, fingers crossed its not coming from the rack body.

A soon as the strut headache is sussed, off to the certifier!!

20190830_161456.thumb.jpg.4874c8d0128d1171133d49166a795ea8.jpg

Edited by Cammsport
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, KwS said:

LVV for braided lines? Uh nope....

I had this issue years back (2008?). The LVVTA issued a notice that all hoses needed to be approved to pass a warrant, a few years later they rescinded it as what they had meant was hoses with an ‘approved fitting’.

Only brake hoses that use crimped or swaged ends are acceptable is the outcome. If your brake hose doesn’t have crimped or swaged ends then the WOF guy is right otherwise he’s working on old info. 

@andrewm this is exactly what I explained to him. I said a cert is not required as the line is one piece and can't be pulled apart. He countered with "rules are rules and any modification to the brakes needs to be certified." I said there hasn't been a modification. We went round in circles and in the end I left it. Certifier will know what's up. Hopefully. 

2 hours ago, Cammsport said:

I said a cert is not required as the line is one piece and can't be pulled apart. He countered with "rules are rules and any modification to the brakes needs to be certified." I said there hasn't been a modification. We went round in circles and in the end I left it. Certifier will know what's up. Hopefully. 

“Show me the rule.  Show me the legislation”.

Will fitting small spacers fix your tyre rub problem? 

18 hours ago, zero said:

Will fitting small spacers fix your tyre rub problem? 

Yip but I shouldn't have to/don't want to run spacers as that'll be permanently on the cert plate. 

21 hours ago, Olaf said:

“Show me the rule.  Show me the legislation”.

The problem is his interpretation of the rules. 

The day of reckoning. Went to the certifier knowing it wouldn't pass due to the correct front springs not showing up in time (I now have a deep hatred for NZ Couriers ?). Couple of left field faults but no real show stoppers. Speedo will require some research, not too sure how tough that'll be. Exhaust wrap to save the steering UJ is easy enough. MAF bracket is something that's always needed doing but haven't pulled the trigger on a subtle enough CAI design yet. Spring pre-load, droop, perches touching tyres and NDT are already sussed. Him wanting to see the groove around the circumference of the splined shaft of the steering rack is an absolute PIA, but who am I to argue. Overall, not the worst result. Passed with just the one driveshaft hoop and he wasn't concerned with the z3 rack retrofit. 

20190906_135049.thumb.jpg.a835eac7ffafc34640aff1997aecb5e8.jpg

• Like 3

Instead of being the responsible car owner I'm not, the e30 has once again been put on the back burner. This time for my old mans XG Ford Falcon. He had a run in with a shipping container down the side of the Ute and the general paint was worse for wear. We thought we'd have a crack at it giving it a cosmetic birthday. 

20190912_101203.thumb.jpg.92184b6c1aef4e94ac77c5af623ff0b7.jpg20190912_101148.thumb.jpg.3b45109aabb1406ae854f4c1bd5ec38a.jpg20190912_101154.thumb.jpg.58b0e01e957526fd90583048018d4da6.jpg

A few DAYS of battling, using multiple pieces of 4"x2" as precision tools, tapping, beating and caressing. 

20190917_114038.thumb.jpg.4aed48e6718dcf6f353915a8b9c31bc0.jpg20190917_134113.thumb.jpg.f1b6c8c701f2bd3a008cd2a9d6bc35fe.jpg

We were left with something that I'm happy, but on the same page, not happy with. Used PPG paints and the best gear (Sata guns and an industrial compressor) but had to battle cooler weather (Southland), bugs and general dust & debris. Hopefully something some experimenting with sandpaper, razor blades and detailing will fix. Overall, it's better than before. 

20190920_110434.thumb.jpg.73752b9382b0e18653de76d912cb8c6e.jpg20190920_110425.thumb.jpg.c0e8c103e0e59e3ce1e722499527c3b0.jpg20190920_110411.thumb.jpg.e11fdd454a07597fdfe83d8953420ae7.jpg

I will not be touching my E30 with sandpaper. Ever ?

• Like 1

Always hard to tell in photos but as long as the paint colour is uniform and there’s  enough clear on there you can make it a mirror with wet sanding and buffing. 

Wetsand with 1200 till uniformly matt, then 2000 to take out the 1200 scratches, then meguiars ultimate compound or m105 or other such moderate cutting compound. 

• Like 2

Cheers @andrewm, I'll pass that onto dad. I noticed today before we flew back to Auckland that the paint had some streakyness to it which is bloody gutting. Not really obvious but if you stand in the right spot and the sun is hitting it square on you can see what looks like shadowing. We laughed when he was quoted $7k for a professional paint job, but after the past few days we have a new found appreciation for panel beaters and painters. 

Metallic paint or solid colour? if solid then usually not enough overlap or just not enough coats to cover. If metallic then there is a 'dust coat' technique some people use, pretty much spraying randomly over the surface from twice the distance quickly after the final colour coat.

Probably not useful now that its done though....

Edited by andrewm
  • Like 1

Yea gave it the hap-hazard dusting for the mettalic but can't have given it enough. Lessons learnt that's for sure. 

22 hours ago, Cammsport said:

We laughed when he was quoted $7k for a professional paint job, but after the past few days we have a new found appreciation for panel beaters and painters. 

Aye.  I was going to enter panel-beating/spraypainting; not ideal for an asthmatic.  And pleased I didn't.  Huge respect for their skills, though observe it must be the passion for a great job well-executed that carries a painter through each day.  I did some bumper and paintwork repairs recently, worked flat-out all day from 1100-2100, took two 15 min breaks, 24,000 steps... and my clearcoat was sprayed in two low a temperature (I'd used a hot-water bath for the cans), so went a little milky.  I'll be paying a pro for e30 work (wheels and edge cleanups, excepted).  I think the ute looks excellent.

• Like 1

Finally an E30 update, albeit small. Huge battle with the suspension company. My certifier picked up on the fact that the pictures in the report weren't of my setup. So they sent through a report without pictures, obviously my certifier wasn't happy with that. Literally 2 months later I have a valid report. Now just plodding my way through the rest of the defects.

On a happier note! Traded all non-vital organs for these beautiful items.20191101_144145.thumb.jpg.50420798ab154604070019c8c411b425.jpg20191101_144228.thumb.jpg.1f309afb92f79193226ff7b52c13e3eb.jpg

Wheel colour is different but I plan to fix that up by matching the centre cap colour. Apparently there's limited stock worldwide, figured I might as well nab them now.

• Like 4

one day... your wheels shall be mine! ?  (there shall be cash involved, of course).

On 11/2/2019 at 6:32 PM, Olaf said:

one day... your wheels shall be mine! ?  (there shall be cash involved, of course).

Now that I have caps, I'm beginning to be more fond of them Olaf hahaha. Wouldn't say no to a set of 16" multipiece wheels though ?

50 minutes ago, Cammsport said:

Now that I have caps, I'm beginning to be more fond of them Olaf hahaha. Wouldn't say no to a set of 16" multipiece wheels though ?

Dude which cert guy are you using ? I am going to be certing my vert soon with Ground control coilovers and I have a cert guy I've used for certing client's e30s before. if you get stuck please give me a yell. I have alignment guys on hand etc for pre cert alignment that will set your car up correctly for cert 

'v

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cammsport said:

Oh you’re just teasing me now! ?You’ve already got the 16” multi piece wheels lurking, haven’t you?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BMTHUG said:

Dude which cert guy are you using ? I am going to be certing my vert soon with Ground control coilovers and I have a cert guy I've used for certing client's e30s before. if you get stuck please give me a yell. I have alignment guys on hand etc for pre cert alignment that will set your car up correctly for cert 

'v

Man I wish I knew this before ? Finally finished the car (cert wise) tonight. Have a weird knock coming from the front right so I'll have to Jack it back up and see what I've left loose. Will make an update with tips and tricks on manifold wrapping and speedo calls etc when I find the time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Olaf said:

Oh you’re just teasing me now! ?You’ve already got the 16” multi piece wheels lurking, haven’t you?

Sold the BBS RS 15" 3 piece set that I had to a guy with a 2002. Unsure if he's on here or not. I just wasn't happy with the deep dish vs small diameter on the E30.

• Like 1

Your the second person I've heard having to wrap their steering joints, I must have got lucky.

Interested to hear what you did with your speedo....mines just under the 10% and would like to bring it down if I can

• Like 1