Sign in to follow this  
hugo_nz

CIC to NBT Retrofit Done - Pic Heavy

BEFORE YOU READ ON:

After doing the initial installation of the retrofit the kit I was faced with PDC sound and steering wheel track select issues. No amount of coding would fix it, and Bimmer Retrofit suggested a firmware update to the FeNBT box to address it. The problem may have arisen from the fact that my car has a ZGW2-High from factory, and the FeNBT is not 100% compatible with it. Another strange issue was that the NBT would not save my unit settings, so every time the car booted up it would reset to default, which in my car's case is UK MPG etc. So I did install version two today:

* Removed the FeNBT retrofit adapter
* Updated SWFL (both) and BTLD of the ZGW2-High with 8SK software. For my ZGW2-High they were btld_000010f5-003_004_090, SWFL_0000092b-005_018_00, SWFL000010f6-003_004_160. The ZGW now shows up as ZGW2 in esys, where before it was just ZGW (despite being a ZGW2-High)
* Tapped the CAN2 high and low at the CAS
* ZBE3 and Touch ECU are also tapped into CAN2
* Restored original PDC button wiring

The retrofit works 100%. Initially the NBT would not display my top view or PDC, but the sounds worked. I resolved this by doing a fresh FA code with my original FA but with the Zeitkriterium updated to 0712. The retrofit is 100% feature complete and I did not have to do any module swaps or modifications other than flashing the ZGW2 with 8SK software. Also, the car's original wiring is 100% intact, except for 2 splice connectors ?

sans-fenbt-01.jpg
FeNBT adapter removed

sans-fenbt-02.jpg
PDC TSRVC original button wiring restored and working

sans-fenbt-03.jpg
PDC TSRVC working 100%

sans-fenbt-04.jpg
Steering wheel list wheel functionality restored

The information above is still relevant as a guide if the ZGW2 route is not viable in your case. Steps like the removal of the COMBOX and USB cable routing as well as the disassembly steps are also still required, even with the 8SK method.

Also, the standard disclaimer applies. The information below is based on my experience and I give no guarantee that the information is applicable or relevant to any other car configuration.

Here we are folks. It's been a wee wait while the kit was assembled but it arrived and was installed in an afternoon (no jokes). It is a challenging retrofit if you have no experience with these things. At the very least you need to be able to read wiring diagrams and also have either the knowledge required to disassemble the interior of your car or know how to sear and read the info on TIS. Others have covered more technical details of the install. My writeup will be step-by-step of what I did.

32-removed-bits.jpg
Before starting removed the footwell side carpets, centre console side plastic trim, and trim roof in driver's footwell. Info on how to do this can be found on TIS.

01-retrofit-kit.jpg
This is the kit. It includes MOST cable, USB cable, Adapter, Touch Module, 2x wiring sets for touch and controller, harness, touch controller, APIX cable, Bluetooth Antenna, HU_NBT.

02-rear-headrests.jpg
Roof down and rear head rests out. These are a royal PITA to remove. I find that grabbing on to them and moving side to side is the easiest way to get them out.

03-rear-bench.jpg
Front seats forward as far as they will go. Rear bench out. Again, PITA to get out. Grabbing the outer edges and pulling up is the easiest way to get it out. It takes some effort, but eventually it will budge.

04-combox-revealed.jpg
Rear backrest is held in place by two bolts, and once removed can be tilted forward. No need to remove the seatbelts. You have more than enough access to the COMBOX. Note the brace. This has to be removed.

05-brace-removed.jpg
Said brace removed. Little bolt is example of one of the 4 bolts securing the COMBOX to its frame.

06-combox-removed.jpg
COMBOX removed.

07-combox-most-wiring-removed.jpg
COMBOX wiring and MOST disconnected. The little blue tab needs to be pushed out in order for the most cables to be removed.

08-combox-most-terminated.jpg
COMBOX MOST terminated.

At this stage we move to the front. Recline the front seats as far as they can, and move them all they way back.

09-zgw.jpg
Locate the ZGW underneath the driver's side dashboard.

10-zgw-most-removed.jpg
Remove the MOST connecter, and disassemble it in the same manner as the COMBOX MOST.

11-zgw-most-terminated.jpg
ZGW MOST terminated.

12-cid-removed.jpg
Old CID removed. Next remove the backing plate.

13-basic-disassembly-done.jpg
Basic disassembly done. This is what a 6-series console looks like when it's stripped out like a nuclear winter ?

14-cid-power-apix-bound.jpg
Bind up the old CID Apix and power connectors and secure behind the dashboard.

15-zgw-fenbt-most-connected.jpg
Connect MOST cable supplied with the retrofit kit to the ZGW.

16-most-routed-through-sidewall.jpg
Feed MOST through sidewall into cavity behind the HU.

17-most-connected-to-fenbt.jpg
Connect MOST to the FeNBT adapter.

18-armrest-usb-removed.jpg
Remove beige connecter from USB port in armrest storage.

19-usb-wire-routed.jpg
Feed new USB cable underneath the console carrier from HU to armrest storage.

20-armrest-usb-connected.jpg
New USB cable connected.

21-bluetooth-antenna-wedged.jpg
New bluetooth antenna in a neat little wedge between the HU and air vents.

22-nbt-connected.jpg
NBT hooked up and ready to be tested for the first time.

At this stage the old idrive controller (ZBE2) is still connected. 

24-nbt-working.jpg
It works!

27-nbt-spotify.jpg
USB connection in armrest works.

28-zbe3-and-touch-wired.jpg
Touch controller (ZBE3) and Touch ECU connected. This was a more technical step as it requires you to wire the ZBE3 and ECU to the CAN-H, CAN-L, Battery and Ground cables. Not that big a deal. I used splice connectors for a super clean install.

29-touch-working.jpg
Touch works. I'm still not convinced about the usefulness of touch input since we drive on the right side of the road, and writing with the left hand is average at best.

30-zbe3-surround-removed.jpg
The trim surround of the ZBE3 has to be removed since the surround from the ZBE2 stays in the centre console, and fits perfectly around the ZBE3. This can be done without destroying the surround. All you need is a small flat head screw driver and some patience.

31-zbe3-in-place.jpg
ZBE3 in place and fits perfectly.

33-pdc-camera-wiring.jpg
The instructions call for the PDC Camera buttons to be connected to the FeNBT adapter. Three wires in a 4-pin connector is all it takes. I actually replaced this blue one with a new one which I purchased from BMW, along with new crimp connectors.

34-driving-top-down.jpg
First drive outside with the roof down. The screen is excellent (remember that this is one I ordered from China...not one that came with the kit).

And there you have it. I took the photo of the complete kit on 23 April 2019 at 2:58 PM and the install was done by 5:30pm.

As smoothly as the install went, it is not without challenges. Currently my PDC sounds and steering wheel track buttons do not work. Bimmer Retrofit are working with me to resolve the problem. I also cannot connect to the NBT though OBD despite having ZGH High installed. I will update the ZGW tomorrow to see if that solves the problem, or else connect directly to the NBT using an RJ45 cable. Once I can connect to it I can complete the coding and get my cameras back ?

To help troubleshoot any potential wiring issues I removed all the unused wires from the harness (more than half of them, in fact). I also initially cut the connector from the 4-pin connected to the PDC button, but have since re-pinned it to a new connector, just in case it ever needs to be reconnected.

Overall I am very happy with the kit and the support from Bimmer Retrofit. Beyond the headlights there is no way to tell that my car is Pre-LCI, and even then very few of the LCI models (even those with EVO) have the glass screens.

Happy to answer any questions ?

Edited by hugo_nz
  • Like 5

Leaving a client meeting today the iDrive was dead, and I had a drivetrain and adaptive headlight warning on the KOMBI. Luckily I knew exactly what was causing this. When I initially removed the Bimmer Retrofit adapter one of the CAN2 pins popped out of the quadlock, causing the exact same set of errors. I stopped at an electronics store on the way home to buy a couple of things, and as soon as I got home I checked my CAN2 wiring. The pins were secure, so I checked the splices on the CAN2 lines at the CAS. Bingo! Turns out the wire I used to connect the NBT to the CAN2 network was not thick enough, so the scotch locks did not cut clear through the sheathing, meaning very little splicing was taking place smile.gifRemoved the wire and taped up the CAN2 lines at the CAS and re-spliced at the ZGW using 18AGW wires. Also took the opportunity to do some cable tidying behind the headunit. All in all took around 45 minutes, and a test drive after confirmed everything is working as it should.

The journey continues...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pretty cool although it looks rather involved for those of us without an electronics background!

next project replace the kombi for a kph only one?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, balancerider said:

pretty cool although it looks rather involved for those of us without an electronics background!

next project replace the kombi for a kph only one?

Lol no electronics background here either Lol. Kombi swap will be next indeed but to a 6WB digital one ?