Sign in to follow this  
richard

machinists

Anyone on here a machinist,

I recently  purchased a lathe and a mill/drill ( second hand ) to further educate myself on the fine art of machining . They came with a whole heap of stuff, most parts/pieces I understand and how it goes together. However there's some bits that I'm uncertain of and how they interact .

Auckland based

• Like 1

Not full time, but I dabble... not Auckland based, but flick up some pics and I can help you out.

Also, setup is pretty much everything for machining, unless it's a real basic part, plan to spend 50-75% of your time setting up the job.

Edited by tawa

45 minutes ago, tawa said:

Also, setup is pretty much everything for machining, unless it's a real basic part, plan to spend 50-75% of your time setting up the job.

^^This, or buy lots of raw material and a large scrap bin.

On another note, where is everyone getting these lathes from, I have been looking for a good one for ages.. grr!

I'm doing lots of YouTube at the  moment, very helpful on how too, but not what each part is for.

John,

I threw out a bid on a lathe, and won and the guy had a mill/drill that I made a offer on. This is the part that I'm struggling with.

There's a mix and match with the mill, drill, and Lathe tools.???

• Thanks 1

The could well be a few tools that go with either, tailstocks often have the same taper as mill/drills so your drill chucks and drill bits could fit both. Quite a few fixtures around for both mills and lathes, can't help much without a few pics of them...

Yeah chuck up few pics (pun intended..) and we can see what can be identified! Where you based now Rich, could pop round for a nosey if you’re local?

There are some pretty good instruction videos on YouTube. 

• Haha 1

picture 1

I would expect this o fit in the tailstock. it fits but is loose

Edited by richard

picture 2, an assortment of cutters etc

picture 6-7

chucks that don't fit anywhere

and im based in greenlane

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, richard said:

picture 3

????

Looks like a facing plate for the lathe - used in place of the 3 or 4 jaw chuck when working with larger flat pieces.

The drill chucks might require a taper adaptor to fit - basically a sleeve that goes over the top of the chuck taper to fit the machine's taper - if that makes sense, have you got one of those?

Lots of old school tooling for the lathe, which could come in handy.

If you are fairly new to machining, and like me not overly skilled and like to save time where possible, it might be an idea to see if you can change the tool post on the lathe over to a "quick-change" style post. Makes swapping over so much quicker - no need to keep setting up tool heights with packers, etc. Depends how much more you have left in your budget I guess.

Both look to be good pieces of kit, in very good useable condition, nice score.

If you're at the track this week-end lets catch up and make a date...

yes john ill be down for the last race of the year.

will catch up then

pic 1, yeh they do look like drill chuck arbors, maybe MT1s? there may be (or have once been) an adapter to sleeve down to that size in either the dril or the lathe tailstock. Pic 6 looks like that chuck might be on an adapter already.

pic 2, yeh, assorted cutters, looks like a lot of tool steel blanks rather than carbide insert cutters. Can be tricky to sharpen/setup correctly if you are learning, and tricky to diagnose if they are causing an issue. Hopefully there are some sharper ones in there from the last guy, maybe practice on Ali mostly while you get a feel for things. Personally I go with carbide inserts except for real oddball work as it's so much less hassel and generally eliminates the tool as an issue (carbideNZ do good mail order stuff).

pic 3, as Jon says, facing plate, think I have use my one of those once.

Nice wee units by the looks of them, can't see from the pic, but does the mill/drill have a drawbar (often a hex on top, it's a long 'bolt' that threads into the toolholder to tighten it up into the taper) to remove the tool holder? Looks like it has a BT30 collet or similar in there so it should do. In which case the drill chucks are unlikely to fit in that, for the tailstock, you may need to wind it out (extend) it a few turns in order for the chuck (and live center in the last pic) to seat properly?

I have no idea but... tools... ?

10 hours ago, tawa said:

pic 1, yeh they do look like drill chuck arbors, maybe MT1s? there may be (or have once been) an adapter to sleeve down to that size in either the dril or the lathe tailstock. Pic 6 looks like that chuck might be on an adapter already.

pic 2, yeh, assorted cutters, looks like a lot of tool steel blanks rather than carbide insert cutters. Can be tricky to sharpen/setup correctly if you are learning, and tricky to diagnose if they are causing an issue. Hopefully there are some sharper ones in there from the last guy, maybe practice on Ali mostly while you get a feel for things. Personally I go with carbide inserts except for real oddball work as it's so much less hassel and generally eliminates the tool as an issue (carbideNZ do good mail order stuff).

pic 3, as Jon says, facing plate, think I have use my one of those once.

Nice wee units by the looks of them, can't see from the pic, but does the mill/drill have a drawbar (often a hex on top, it's a long 'bolt' that threads into the toolholder to tighten it up into the taper) to remove the tool holder? Looks like it has a BT30 collet or similar in there so it should do. In which case the drill chucks are unlikely to fit in that, for the tailstock, you may need to wind it out (extend) it a few turns in order for the chuck (and live center in the last pic) to seat properly?

Yes it has a drawbar and yes it came with a set of collets 2-16 mm. I've got the instruction manual for it and read it. I think the previous own brought the collet set because he f**ked up the drill chuck.

I'm going to Chevpac today with the tailstock , arbors etc it was brought from them back in 1987 new,  that way ill know what iv got.

Managed to get down to chevpac today and got sckooled by Syd, 48yrs in the trade and counting.

I was trying to fit the arbor in with the fully closed which meant the shaft wouldn't fit properly . I needed to whined it out 15mm . Hay presto it fits. Its a MT2. check.

New chuck , went for one that holds a 16mm drill bit. And a set of milling tools. 3-12mm

now to find a block of Alloy and turn it to chip.

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0980.JPG

• Like 1

so deep in my bubble i've been playing on the lath making chips.

This is the 3rd gen crank i've made. very agricultural.  

Its for a Demon V8

tomorrow , piston liners x8

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2190.JPG

• Like 7

How did you get the orientation for the big ends? 

Some sort of degree wheel to reorientate? 

So cool