Sign in to follow this  
qube

WTB: E46 FCAB

You need access to a press in order to press the bush out/in to the collar.

the Meyle HD are good, I got about 70k km’s out of last set.  Hint: Order MeyleHD endlinks at same time.  If your FCABs are toast, your endlinks will probably be close behind (as mine now are).

I do em in pairs.

27 minutes ago, qube said:

should i just grab something like this

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-control-arm-bushing-kit-front-e46-heavy-duty-31126757623my

BMW Control Arm Bushing Kit - Meyle HD 31126783376

or is it easy to replace just the inner rubber part only?

anyway, looking to buy both sides please.

They come as a set. The bushes are not available separately. BM Workshop Grey Lynn Spare parts. It's not a job to do lying on your back. A hoist gives you more room to use force pushing them on to the lower control arm by hand only and make sure they are lined up properly. Don't use a weapon. You need to use rubber grease and heaps of spray lube. A press is not needed and you leave the control arm on the car.

how much would i expect to pay someone to do it including the parts? say bmworkshop 

I have done complete suspension overhauls on my E46, E39 and E91 before but this one is not for me so I might just point them in the right direction and get the job done. Just dont want to pay a fortune on parts when I know I can get it shipped much cheaper.

They would need to call them. I'm not sure if they will fit parts supplied by owners.

45 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

It's not a job to do lying on your back. A hoist gives you more room to use force pushing them on to the lower control arm by hand only and make sure they are lined up properly. 

You need to use rubber grease and heaps of spray lube. A press is not needed and you leave the control arm on the car.

As usual Glenn is spot on, and I can also vouch for this, just ask me how I know...

2 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

As usual Glenn is spot on, and I can also vouch for this, just ask me how I know...

Wifey's car :lol:

• Like 2

Done a few on stands without too much effort. I used one of those big vice grip quick grip clamps for the most part and squeezed them quite easily with plenty of lube

Many companies sell the bushes alone, you don't need to buy the entire lollipop (e.g. https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-control-arm-strut-mount-hd-31126754547).

And yes, if you go the bush alone route you need to press them in so they need to come off the car.

A shop pressed mine out (old) and in (new) for loose change and then I replaced them myself, took about 30 mins to do both sides.

It's even easier of course if you buy the whole lollipop assembly but that'll cost you more than twice as much for the parts.