Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E9x 320Si

Has anyone seen or driven one of these? Are they (m)any in NZ? Jon @E30 325i Rag-Top - do you know?

they are pretty cool.  Well thought of in UK.  I did read something a year or so ago in BMW Car about wear issues with the engine?

7 minutes ago, Jacko said:

That is cool, whats the engine code? 

N45B20. 175 road-going hp, 275 for racing.

The 320Si is said to handle at least as well as the M3 - it's a homologation car with 2600 being built.

40 minutes ago, KwS said:

4 banger!

After its done leaking.

Looks aside i think the E36 and E30 iS versions would still be the better drivers cars. 

Camchain tensioner and VANOS are the biggest issues with the N45 generally, but the N45B20 used aluminium liners which can cause problems.

Usual other factors apply - use good oil, regularly changed, and good quality fuel.

Other than that it's probably no better or worse than many other engines of the same era. 

But as Jared says - the earlier iS versions may be a better long-term bet. If you can find one... (And the E36 has build quality issues all of it's own, too.)

Yeah reliability aside It would make a good daily if traffic wasn't a bit issue. Certainly more livable than the E30 and E36, both of which i can barely fit in due to roof height and transmission tunnel.

17 hours ago, gjm said:

Has anyone seen or driven one of these? Are they (m)any in NZ? Jon @E30 325i Rag-Top - do you know?

I sat in one back in the day when they were available new from the dealerships in the UK, quite pricey over a standard 320i M-Sport IIRC. Quite a cool little limited numbers homologation special, maybe a little down on power in road trim to be fully exciting but still interesting none the less. I didn't get to test drive as there was no demonstrator vehicle as the dealers, so I can't comment from personal experience on that side.

I have certainly never come across one in NZ, or heard of one. A quick search reveals nothing NZ, which I would expect. Even in terms of the used imports there is nothing in the screeds of 320i models that have been registered that would suggest it was an E90 Si model.

• Like 1

Thanks Jon.

170-175 isn't all that much power these days, or even 15 years ago when the M3 was making well over 400. The attraction for me was around handling rather than outright acceleration or speed, so that's not an issue. Sadly it seems as though the lower power output doesn't necessarily translate to better economy, although the stock 85hp per litre isn't too shabby.

• Like 1