Sign in to follow this  
DnR

E91 raising ride height

We have just bought a 2012 E91 325i LCI touring with, we believe, correct Motorsport suspension package and correct 17" wheels (Japan import). It's the first newer BMW we have had for some time and it's very nice, ride & handling is great. The problem is the ground clearance is just too small. We have a tricky drive with large curbs and almost impossible to exit without a touch of the nose. We also bought the car for light towing (track day motorbike) and anticipate this will be tricky also.

So we are wondering what recommendations there are for raising the ride height, maybe 15mm or so? We could go with a step up in profile on the 17" (too soft?) or go 18" with higher profiles (still be good side walls?) or I have read there seems to be a variety of different shims/spacers that can be used to change the ride height?

Would appreciate any recommendations.

Ray

Motorsport bumpers are part of the issue, they get caught on anything. The way to do it without changing your existing car would be a strut shim, either create your own like @Allanw did or buy factory ones like these - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/front-suspension-shim-priced-each/31306779671/

• Like 1

Thanks a lot, sounds like a relatively simple solution.

Do these run spring pads like older models do? Could run a thicker pad to increase height. 

I'd look into the legality of those strut shims too, I know "lift kits" that use strut spacers need a cert now. 

The spacers are a factory option for rough road. May or may no be fitted, depending on market and options.

Also note that the ECS spacers listed above say they lift the car 20mm.... they are NOT 20mm thick, becasue they mount inboard, approx half way between the wheel and the inner suspension mount. I made 10mm spacers, and I think they raised it 20mm, maybe a little more.

• Like 1

Thanks Allen,

Great information, did you do this to an E90/91etc. series? would you have drawings that you made them to? it would make it easier if they were available.

Cheers,

My e91 330s on stock motorsport  suspenson with 18" 215/45 and 245/35s, it scrapes on everything as well (its lower than the 130 with B1 suspension..)

@DnR it was on an E39. They may or may not be the same???

No drawings, Sorry!

I used a new strut mount as a template, knocked out the studs and fitted bolts through from the bottom. The plate I made was 10mm aluminium, threaded for the bolts, so that locked it all together, then the nuts were fitted as normal to bolt it into the car. I fitted a strut brace too, purely because the E39's give the strut towers a hammering and like to mushroom them:

6945697689_2c47ac4f1b.jpg

For the rears, I believe I ordered the "rough road" version top mounts, and just fitted a spacer onto the longer studs on them... The rear spacers are made of that plastic sheet stuff.

In my Touran, I got polyurethane spacers from ebay. all hardware included. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=tema4x4

It had dropped 10mm after my VR6 + 4WD drivetrain conversion, and I wanted it a bit higher, so put claimed 20mm spacers in (they are less than 20mm thick to acheive the 20mm raise). The 4WD rear subframe already had to be spaced down 20mm, because of the the floor shape for the 6th and 7th seats, so it worked well with the geometry anyway. It's worked out about 10mm higher than my wifes standard one, as expected:

aGaQ2uQ.jpg

Thanks Allan, sounds pretty straight forward with some planning. Will have to decide which way to go, tyres or suspension.

Jacko, is that standard tyre sizes? I thought it was 225/40-18 and 255/35-18 it would make yours slightly taller on the front and shorter on the rear?

How critical are the tyre sizes on general handling? (it's unlikely we would ever track day this car) there seems to be a variety of 'stock' combinations.

Ray

Any update on this? I've already changed the tyre size but didn't gain much at all so am looking at using the shims from ecs with my 08 E90 Msport. How hard are they to install? Is there a guide somewhere?

Hi Eli,

Nothing directly to this post. What tyres did you fit? We will be putting on 225/45-18 and 255/40-18 wheels and tyres this week to give us another 1/2 inch (12.7mm) clearance - we will see how this goes. Also noticed that the centre of the bumper droops about 20mm so will fix that as well - this where most of the hits are.

48 minutes ago, DnR said:

Hi Eli,

Nothing directly to this post. What tyres did you fit? We will be putting on 225/45-18 and 255/40-18 wheels and tyres this week to give us another 1/2 inch (12.7mm) clearance - we will see how this goes. Also noticed that the centre of the bumper droops about 20mm so will fix that as well - this where most of the hits are.

I put on 255/35/18 and 225/40/18 VENTUS S1 NOBLE2's and it isn't near enough height. I'm definitely keen on the shims.