Sign in to follow this  
ebmorris

E90 320d Automatic transmission issues

Hey, Ethan here I'm new to the forum. I have a 2006 320d with the Steptronic transmission. I have a strange issue when coming to a stop when in Drive. As I'm nearly stopped the whole car jerks as the trans shifts into first from second. Hardly noticeable in sport mode as it makes the shift down to first sooner.  Worse when hot. Also all around the trans doesn't feel the smoothest, sometimes lag from 1st to second with high revs. Once or twice a harsh shift into 6th.  I have flushed the fluid and replaced the pan/ filter with little effect. Also at times the car feels quite locked up and abrupt when accelerating entering a roundabout for example. I have ordered the bridge seal between the mechatronic (valve body) and trans plus the 4 sealing sleaves (round tube type seals slightly different heights). 

Do you think these parts will solve the issues above? Has anyone had experience with this sort of problem? Also, what is the best type of fluid? I am under the impression that it is equivalent to dex 6. 

Any help appreciated!                                                                                                                                                                                                                Cheers

Lifeguard 6 is the best fluid to use but hard to get. 

The bridge and tube seals may improve it, but the most common fix is a sonnax zip kit for the valve body. Pretty common issue and lots of info if you Google it. 

How many k's is it on? Did you clear transmission adaptions after changing the fluid?

Yep I agree with the lifegaurd 6, just dont justify the hassle when it is so close to or equivalent to dex 6. Might look into mercon sp as that is what ford uses in their cars with sane zf 6hp box. Which again is equivalent to dex 6. What would be best aside from lifegaurd?

Will try a few things before a rebuild kit. Thats also possibly in the to hard basket for me. 

152,000 kms NZ new. No haven't touched it software wise. How easy is it to do? Im considering taking it to stealership for whole body update including trans computer plus reset adaptations. 

Have you experienced same problem eagle? Specifically the 2-1 jerk

I had average shifting in my 335i (150,000km, Stage 3 and then 2 xHP tunes), with flaring on shifts and thumping on some shifts (usually 3-4) but not 2-1. Did the bridge and tube seals, new filter, and used Caltex Synthetic Multi-Vehicle ATF (dex 6). Reset Adaptions in xHP. Shifting got better but it still wasn't great. Apparently it takes a few hundred KM to relearn everything, and the car was out of my hands by then, but I was never happy with the trans. I suspect the zip kit would have fixed it, but I didn't want to invest that much into it.

Before servicing the trans manually shifting down the gears to a stop would almost throw you through the windscreen with its lurch (had to downgrade from stage 3 trans flash as the rev matching was too harsh when downshifting). Wasnt good. The fluid was dark enough that I believe it was original.

Edited by KwS

Penrite do ATF BMV which is for ZF 6+ speeds.

I can clear adaptions in a 1 min using my software, but i vaguely recall reading about having to do a re-learning process on these newer ZF's. 

Yeah I have heard mixed things about resetting trans adaptations. Such as trans refusing to work or way worse as it is starting from factory calibrations but actual trans has experienced wear etc from factory. Will xhp reset safely improve shift quality? To me its abit odd how it gets worse as heats up. Making me think its those tranafer seals