E39 M5 Imola Red

Hi guys, not sure how to put the link to this, so bare with me

Does anyone know much about this E39 M5 on trademe auction number 2052751686

auction-2052751686.htm

Thanks for that!!

I know someone who is keen on it & would like more info

Regards

Barry

looks well presented and being 2000 you at least get the 1 year wof but it is prefacelift, has ugly front headlights, not sure what is up with the seats not being the standard M5 version, just looks like normal msport seats.. but in saying that its probably not a bad buy at around 30k given the value going up.

still, kms are highish but i doubt it will detract from being a great car to drive. i would budget at least another 5k+ on maintenance bills though in the near future for bits and bobs?

• Like 1

That's the one I spotted a couple of weeks back. Bloody stunning in person! 

I haven't checked the codes but you could get M5 with the comfort seats, maybe it's that? 

Still, with the current climate how it is, it'll sell quick. 

As much as i like keeping things original i don't why people don't swap to FL lights, massive improvement with the only downside of them being sealed. I agree with qube though, im going to assume its still using many original parts. Not a bad example to spend $ on though

• Like 1

They’re the comfort seats, which have also been optioned with the ‘Active Seat’ function which is essentially a primitive seat massage. 

This car is extremely well optioned. In fact it’s one of the highest specs I’ve seen, apart from it missing certain facelift features like front PDC, auto lights etc. Only options I think it’s missing are the rear sun blind and extended leather  

This is an absolute stunner. They don’t come around this nice and original very often

Edited by BozzaFC
Typo

Regarding the PFL lights: apart from it obviously being a matter of taste, there is something to be said for an original car. This one looks totally un-modified and as it would have come out of the factory.

That’s pretty cool. 

As soon as you do the lights, then you’ll have the wrong steering wheel, the wrong nav screen... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

From what I know, there were 4 in Imola red in Nz, 3 were NZ new, one was a South African model. One of the Imola’s may no longer be on the roads.

Shame it is a rare colour. They are beautiful in the flesh. 

• Like 1

Loving the pre-facelift lights. They are much better at night to drive with than the facelift for some reason?

KM’s are not high. Probably in line with normal use. 

Must stop looking... I don’t need a red to match the blue. I followed/stalked this a few weeks back and it is very original and straight.

Edited by str8_6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

As much as i like keeping things original i don't why people don't swap to FL lights, massive improvement with the only downside of them being sealed. I agree with qube though, im going to assume its still using many original parts. Not a bad example to spend $ on though

Earlier fl headlights can be unsealed, it’s just automotive chewing gum (butyl). Later ones were epoxied. Easy way to tell is remove top rubber weatershield strip and gently press on the seal with a small flatblade

Indeed, i thought my comment basically implied that, maybe it just was just me. I do agree PFL lights do seem to project a bit better than FL but they both suck really compared to a proper headlight. I dont know how prevalent PFL xenons are but there's plenty of FL lights with factory Xenons around these days. they certainly help out somewhat.

Facelift Xenons are acceptable.

Facelift Halogens were about as good as my '72 Beetle was!

Never had any prefacelift to compare though.

22 hours ago, qube said:

looks well presented and being 2000 you at least get the 1 year wof but it is prefacelift, has ugly front headlights, not sure what is up with the seats not being the standard M5 version, just looks like normal msport seats.. but in saying that its probably not a bad buy at around 30k given the value going up.

still, kms are highish but i doubt it will detract from being a great car to drive. i would budget at least another 5k+ on maintenance bills though in the near future for bits and bobs?

Hey Qube, what sort of common things will need doing?? Vanos, oil leaks, clutch??

Certainly new struts etc if they haven't been done.

Totally depends on the life it’s had, needs a good inspection. Common issues are mainly various fluid leaks and the coolant thermostat sticking open causing rich running.

2 hours ago, Autoglym said:

Hey Qube, what sort of common things will need doing?? Vanos, oil leaks, clutch??

best to talk to martin @BreakMyWindow as a fellow M5 owner, I am just merely speculating based on general BMW common faults. I dont have any E39 M5 knowledge specifically.

In my humble opinion, based on purchasing one of these beasts in the last year; cars at this point possibly need some pro-active maintenance. Clutches can rear their ugly head, hoses need replacing, thermostats can deteriorate, and the suspension components such as control arms, bushings, etc need replacing. Just also based on meeting people here in the US who really clock up intergalactic mileage with their cars, as long as you spend the money - these things are sturdy! A mate of mine has a 150,000 mile example in Silverstone. He has done all the pro-active maintenance work on his car through a local independent  - and it never misses a beat as a daily driver. 

I just hope that the current owner of this car has had some big- tickets items done.. otherwise there could be some bills around the corner. Worth spending though- these cars rock! 

• Like 4

this is the sorta car that would bring me back to BMW,but for me having somewhere to keep it is also a factor.This has cost implications over and above the cost of of keeping and or  bringing up to the condition a car such as this requires(for resale) or for trouble free use.You would probably never lose actual resale value on these but you would probably never actually make money if you kept it in the manner it should be kept.

Edited by kiwi535
  • Like 1

Great point. A lot of these cars we see for sale today were for sale 8-10 years ago for low 20’s. At $35k for sale now, they probably have broken even with their maintenance costs. A friend of mine in Auckland who had a beautifully maintained 150,000 Km daily driver 10 years ago allocated $4k / year for running costs through an independent. The good thing if you have a fine day example like mine, a lot of the expenses can be spread over a longer period of time— prioritizing the important tasks. For example, I replaced my engine mounts, got new discs/brake pads, and got new hoses fairly soon after purchase. The suspension is my next project- but will wait awhile. 

However, one I thing I will state again. In my opinion, these cars are an exhilarating drive. What car covers the all round capabilities of a 6 speed E39 M5. Worth every penny! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwi535 said:

this is the sorta car that would bring me back to BMW,but for me having somewhere to keep it is also a factor.This has cost implications over and above the cost of of keeping and or  bringing up to the condition a car such as this requires(for resale) or for trouble free use.You would probably never lose actual resale value on these but you would probably never actually make money if you kept it in the manner it should be kept.

If you doing that work yourself i don't see him as being that much more expensive than a 540i as long as the engine internals hold up. I considering buying one but i couldn't use it how id like to around here without it having to worry about it cosmetically suffering. 

Worse type of buyer is the one who buys purely for speculation purposes, no respect given for me in that case. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eagle said:

If you doing that work yourself i don't see him as being that much more expensive than a 540i as long as the engine internals hold up. I considering buying one but i couldn't use it how id like to around here without it having to worry about it cosmetically suffering. 

Worse type of buyer is the one who buys purely for speculation purposes, no respect given for me in that case. 

i would do the very basic stuff myself only

9 hours ago, kiwi535 said:

Yes garaging is mandatory. That's where my M5 is ... 

On 5/10/2019 at 3:51 PM, ssbmw said:

From what I know, there were 4 in Imola red in Nz, 3 were NZ new, one was a South African model. One of the Imola’s may no longer be on the roads.

Shame it is a rare colour. They are beautiful in the flesh. 

One ended up in a ditch courtesy of a naughty son borrowing it from dads garage......HellBM was the recipient.  Another regularly goes down Quay St in Aucklamd City as a daily driver with the plate AWSUM5.

The pre-facelift spec has grown on me - if the front lights are in new condition they look great.

I think the running costs are pretty reasonable if it’s a Sunday car.   Daily it and the costs are more crippling.  

I think an M5 is a lot of car for the money.   You could spend $30k on a HQ Holden and just accept that is the price!

• Like 3