TermiPeteNZ

Living with sensible(?) vehicles - E53 V8 and E60 M5...

Damn! Pulling out of the car park at work in town today and ping! brake light trifecta is on ? 

Just as well it is booked into Auto38 on Wednesday. Back to the X5 as daily until this gets fixed up.

20190623_010138939_iOS-1080.jpg

Edited by TermiPeteNZ
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/23/2019 at 2:45 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

Damn! Pulling out of the car park at work in town today and ping! brake light trifecta is on ? 

Just as well it is booked into Auto38 on Wednesday. Back to the X5 as daily until this gets fixed up.

Update - Jon's scanner reports ECU failure. So looking at repair/2nd hand/new options. Been through this with the X5 already...

Lol,BMW.  Every time I hear the ding for reserve fuel I have a minor episode.  BMW PTSD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Lol,BMW.  Every time I hear the ding for reserve fuel I have a minor episode.  BMW PTSD.

Good thing you drive an M5 so it doesn't happen often......?

• Haha 3

ECU options ...

• Brand new ABS control unit - ~$3K! :o 
  • 2nd hand ~$350
  • Repair to complete ABS unit - ~$1600
  • Repair to just ECU - TBA

So unsurprisingly we're going for a 2nd hand unit and likely ECU-only repair if that fails down the track.

Wasn't sure about putting a MBI on this vehicle but maybe I should.... !

• Sad 1

M5 ABS units are $4500 and there's no second hand ones :)

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, GorGasm said:

M5 ABS units are $4500 and there's no second hand ones :)

I have a second hand one in the garage, just to make sure I never need one!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Haha, sound plan.

If you ever do have an M5 ABS failure it's usually the pump.  If it can't be refurbished then you can get a pump unit from another BMW and attach it to your M5 controller.  Mine came from a E9x 323i.  Saved me 4 grand.

The ABS pump in my old 130i also failed at about 60k km and we had just the pump repaired as the unit was $3000. 

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

The E46 is back! Here's the list from the PPI

• Replaced leaking rocker cover gasket and seals
  • Replace water pump
  • Replace A/C and fan belts
  • Coolant
  • Replace driver's mirror glass (had some blotches)
  • Replace both front seat belts (not retracting well) and left rear belt (frayed)
  • Install new front tyres (came with the car :))
  • Fit 2nd hand ABS pump and bleed brake system - code ABS unit

The auto electrician who coded the ABS unit reckoned it's the nicest E46 he's seen/driven. 

Only thing not done is the boot lights - Auto38 is tracking the right ones down...

Great to have it back :D

Do notice that the fuel consumption needle seems to be very laggy compared to the one in the E53.

20190619_204346114_iOS - Copy-1080.jpg

• Like 5

For a day to day commuter Pete, you’ll love it. Saw it in the workshop. Very cool colour and beaut condition. 

You’ll probably think the fuel gauge is stuck compared to the other two. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/4/2019 at 7:07 AM, str8_6 said:

For a day to day commuter Pete, you’ll love it. Saw it in the workshop. Very cool colour and beaut condition. 

You’ll probably think the fuel gauge is stuck compared to the other two. 

It is a great drive, but fuel usage from driving in and out of work a few days is hovering around 13l/100km currently which isn't stellar...

10 hours ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

It is a great drive, but fuel usage from driving in and out of work a few days is hovering around 13l/100km currently which isn't stellar...

Probably needs a good run.  Like Wairarapa tour and back, or Gentle Annie? ?  Ours always runs a little smoother and sips a little more lightly after a good thrash steady run in the country.

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Olaf said:

Probably needs a good run.  Like Wairarapa tour and back, or Gentle Annie? ?  Ours always runs a little smoother and sips a little more lightly after a good thrash steady run in the country.

Fuel Consumption
That'll help the average I'd say.... but looking up specifications the urban consumption is 12.8l/100KM so perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised.

I have noticed that the engine seems to take a long time to come up to temperature. Run into town, wander round for 1.5 hrs, drive back home - temp gauge never made it past 1/3. So I'm suspecting thermostat is plonked...

"If the thermostat fails stuck open however, it can be less obvious and can go unnoticed for a long period of time. That’s because the temperature gauge needle won’t bury itself in the red; instead the car will take forever to warm up to operating temperature. The downside of this is loss of fuel economy, and the engine to run rich for a longer period of time which can result in more unnecessary wear." [source]

Will consult with Jon at Auto38... think it will be new thermostat later this week.

ABS unit
Just looking back through the service records I received with the car, the ABS unit had already been repaired and re-coded back in 2016. Thinking about it - this is about how long my repaired one lasted in my X5.... so perhaps expect these repaired units to only last a couple of years ? 

Cosmetic
Washed the car for the first time today... fair bit of kerbing on the wheels - so will have to get Wheel Magician on this soon. I really do like the Style 68 wheels but they are a bit of a pain to clean :)

Edited by TermiPeteNZ

36 minutes ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

Fuel Consumption
That'll help the average I'd say.... but looking up specifications the urban consumption is 12.8l/100KM so perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised.

I have noticed that the engine seems to take a long time to come up to temperature. Run into town, wander round for 1.5 hrs, drive back home - temp gauge never made it past 1/3. So I'm suspecting thermostat is plonked...

"If the thermostat fails stuck open however, it can be less obvious and can go unnoticed for a long period of time. That’s because the temperature gauge needle won’t bury itself in the red; instead the car will take forever to warm up to operating temperature. The downside of this is loss of fuel economy, and the engine to run rich for a longer period of time which can result in more unnecessary wear." [source]

Will consult with Jon at Auto38... think it will be new thermostat later this week.

ABS unit
Just looking back through the service records I received with the car, the ABS unit had already been repaired and re-coded back in 2016. Thinking about it - this is about how long my repaired one lasted in my X5.... so perhaps expect these repaired units to only last a couple of years ? 

Cosmetic
Washed the car for the first time today... fair bit of kerbing on the wheels - so will have to get Wheel Magician on this soon. I really do like the Style 68 wheels but they are a bit of a pain to clean :)

Man, be glad you don't have style 5's! This combined with a pressure washer makes really light work of the wheels https://www.detaildepot.co.nz/product/carpro-iron-x-lemon-scent-iron-filings-and-contaminants-cleaner-1l/

9 hours ago, Olaf said:

I second this notion. My 530i was running great after the Castlepoint run. Could be a placebo, but it felt a lot more lively, and possibly even more powerful, towards the end of the trip.

1 hour ago, TermiPeteNZ said:

I think you're spot on the money here Pete. Be glad it's stuck open and not stuck closed!

I highly recommend reprogramming the temp gauge so that it reads somewhat accurately. Did it on my car and it's been great (for my piece of mind).

3 hours ago, adro said:

Man, be glad you don't have style 5's! This combined with a pressure washer makes really light work of the wheels https://www.detaildepot.co.nz/product/carpro-iron-x-lemon-scent-iron-filings-and-contaminants-cleaner-1l/

:D Been there with Style 5s on my E34 535i! Yes, more fuss than the 68s for sure ...

Just used my Flybuys to get a pressure washer and may have to check out that IronX... 

yeah you're spot on, if it's not getting up to temp it'll use more gas through running rich.  coolant temp sensor is an essential part of motronic

Back in tomorrow with the 325i for...

1. thermostat
  2. replacement boot light units (they're delaminated at the top, so water might get in).

On 7/10/2019 at 9:03 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

Back in tomorrow with the 325i for...

1. thermostat
  2. replacement boot light units (they're delaminated at the top, so water might get in).

Update

• Thermostat got sorted
  • Haven't managed to find the exact replacement lights yet
  • Have a stone chip in the windscreen now - need to get that repaired. Damned trucks! :o 
  • Getting the steering wheel refurbed this Wednesday by Andrew (fellow Club member) from FibreNew

On another note, had the X5 front bumper resprayed by Laurenson Auto Refinishing in Porirua. Looks much better now :)

Before...

image.thumb.png.a61e5173b209380ed1e4d2be63cb51a7.png

After...

image.png.98a2c35eb42d39ffe0abb18814cf1cc7.png

Edited by TermiPeteNZ
  • Like 4

Has the thermostat replacement made a difference to the fuel consumption? 

12 hours ago, adro said:

Has the thermostat replacement made a difference to the fuel consumption? 

Temp seems to be behaving better, but my urban commute to and from work is still sitting at 12...

Steering wheel restoration by Andrew from FibreNew. Very pleased with the result.

If you'd like work done in the Wellington area you can contact Andrew on wellington@fibrenew.co.nz or 0274 500 526.

Before...
20190619_204212868_iOS-1080-1080.thumb.jpg.6305afb3a6a37b07f540aa5264ad72db.jpg

And after...

20190911_204308340_iOS-1080.thumb.jpg.f3aa24ce51aef14e5f60066a24fe5063.jpg

• Like 2

Took the M5 for a drive this afternoon. :D 

Check engine light is on ?, but no error messages and the car is running great.

In to see Jon at Auto38 on Tuesday.

• Sad 1