TermiPeteNZ

Living with sensible(?) vehicles - E53 V8 and E60 M5...

E38 750i (and an Audi) update

Yes, I did buy it and have spent *a lot* sorting it out. I will post up some stuff on what's been done... 

Latest with the E38 750i - had to top up the coolant a couple of times - ~300ml each time ... and boom - new radiator required, sorted by Driscoll Motors.

At least it was simpler than an intermittent issue on the wife's Audi Q3 - engine check light turned out to be due to a sticking element on the PCV valve assembly. Lots of troubleshooting/fault-finding time before identifying this. 😕 MBI will at least cover some of it. She was using the V8 X5 while this was being sorted "this uses a lot of gas, doesn't it?" Um, yep - compared to a much more modern 4cyl :) 

20230722_221526807_iOS (Large).jpg

Edited by TermiPeteNZ
  • Like 4

Here's the summary of what I've had done on the E38 and by whom. I have now listed the vehicle on TradeMe ... as I want to focus on my E60 M5 as weekend car.

• Begley Motor Worx:
    • Transmission/diff service
    • Clean, sandblast and paint all four brake calipers
    • Replace 
      • ABS module (remanufactured)
      • Brake pressure pump
      • LF suspension spring and tie rod
      • Cabin, air and fuel filters
      • Both batteries
      • Front and rear brake pads and rotors
      • Brake hoses
      • Right front suspension spring
      • Cooling system inc water pump but not the radiator (that came later!)
      • Spark plugs
      • Sump plug
      • Alternator (reconditioned)
      • LF door central locking PM module (2nd hand)
      • 2 tyres 
      • Glass in both wing mirrors
      • Left indicator
      • Badges :)
      • Driver's door
  • Harbour Capital Auto Electrical:
    • Resolve current draw - disconnected voice control module
    • Repaired light control module wiring
    • Replace hydraulic fluid in boot struts
  • Spectrum Panel & Paint:
    • Respray of whole car inc replacement driver's door
    • Replace mouldings for windscreen and rear screen
  • Novus: Refit windscreen properly to address wind noise 
  • Barry's Garage: Thorough polish, clean and groom
  • Fibrenew: Leather clean and minor recolour where required

• Driscoll Motors
    • Replace left rear window regulator (specials one of course for double glazed windows)
    • Replace grill inserts
    • Replace right front window regulator
    • Rustkill and under seal on underside of vehicle
    • Replaced radiator

So yes, have done a fair bit of stuff to this one! 

Edited by TermiPeteNZ
  • Like 2

The beautiful E38 has found a new home on the Mainland! Super pleased it has gone to a genuine enthusiast 🙏 One less sensible vehicle...

In other news...

• M5 (in the garage) has a completely flat tyre - bought a very neat Ryobi 18V inflator tool from Bunnings but it appears the valve is stuffed as all the air came straight back out 💨 Tow truck and tyre repair/replace 🤷‍♂️
  • X5 had some slip on a gear change when driving into work - then boom 'Trans fail safe prog' 🙄 limped back the ~1km to Driscoll Motors and we'll see what the story is. This had a full trans rebuild December 2018 - and I've done 25,000KMs since then... so not thrilled.
Edited by TermiPeteNZ
  • Sad 1

Geez that is rough mate. Those ZF5hp24’s eh.. Do you know if they put a new pressure regulator in it when they rebuilt it last? 

• Like 1

Got to be one of BMW worst transmissions. Makes the timing chain guides seem not so bad. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, adro said:

Geez that is rough mate. Those ZF5hp24’s eh.. Do you know if they put a new pressure regulator in it when they rebuilt it last? 

The rebuild by Zane was *comprehensive* and def included pressure ...regulator.

Haven't heard back re prognosis on the X5 or M5 so no real new news, other than that the X5 needed a charge before the diags could be run 🤔. I'm hopeful there is a battery-related issue rather than actual trans failure -battery/power issue can lead to the transmission setting itself into limp mode according to Les at Driscolls. Recently I had to jumpstart the X5 ... so we'll see!

Ah yeah Zane is VERY thorough. Fingers crossed it's a  battery!

I've had a weak battery bring up Trans Failsafe on a 5HP19 in the past. so fingers crossed...  I'm getting a lockup clutch slipping code on the 740 5HP24 but no real symptoms I can detect as yet.  I will get my spare torque convertor rebuilt I think... it's sitting with the spare trans under the bench... what every '24 owner should have... 😁

• Like 3

X5

• Driscolls let me know that it is slipping in 3rd and 4th. They talked to Zane who did the rebuild who didn't have any advice ... it would need to be cracked open and who knows what the story will be 😕
  • I've asked them to cast around for a 2nd hand 5HP24 as a practical alternative - but no joy jet. @hqstu must have cornered the market!

M5

• Aircon was blowing cold, then warm on the way home. Driscolls have re-gassed it and noted that the heater tap is slow to close - I did have issues some time ago with the aircon pumping out hot air so this is likely the cause. Believe it is a pain to get to. Anyway - aircon is cold now!

What the labor cost to install a transmission in one of these? Suppose gambling with a used unit is 1\2 the price of a rebuild?   

7 hours ago, Eagle said:

What the labor cost to install a transmission in one of these? Suppose gambling with a used unit is 1\2 the price of a rebuild?   

from memory it cost me roughly $800 (hutt automatics @95 an hour) to drop and reinstall the same box on my 540 which i assume will have gone up since that was 3 years ago. I remember as I was quite insensed by it. I think AAAutomtive quoted $650 for labour for Lyall Bay service center to drop/reinstall but then additional cost to freight it to Auckland and back to be repaired. 

With such a problomatic box unless you are planning to sell the car ASAP for the sake of your own anxiety surely it's worth getting Zane to drop it and take a look, knowing it's had a tonne of stuff replaced already. 

Real sh*t/expensive scenario though either way. Sorry to hear man. 

Edited by adro
  • Like 3

On 12/1/2023 at 11:48 PM, TermiPeteNZ said:

must have cornered the market!

Just the one spare for the two cars... yeah not great news.   Hopefully someone might "own" the problem...

While the X5 is laid up, I have acquired a new beasty that will replace both my F30 335i and the E53 X5...

2017 G01 X3 M40i! 

20240117_071758915_iOS (Large).jpg

• Like 4