Sign in to follow this  
matrox02

2006 323i wont start after battery change

Hey all, My uncles e90 started cranking slowly recently, he thought it was his battery so bought a new one, but now the car wont start at all, with either the old or new, just makes a soft click and nothing else when you press the start button, is this because the battery needs to be programmed to the car?? or just that the starter has just died?? It would be annoying if it was the starter though as the car only has 70 thousand kms

If it has one the battery sensor is more to do with charging side of it so having it unregistered shouldn't affect starting. Have they got good charge? Good idea to get the battery load tested before buying a new one given they aren't cheap.

Id check all the battery and engine ground cables are in good condition and tight then try tapping the starter motor with a hammer etc and try to start

12 hours ago, Eagle said:

If it has one the battery sensor is more to do with charging side of it so having it unregistered shouldn't affect starting. Have they got good charge? Good idea to get the battery load tested before buying a new one given they aren't cheap.

Id check all the battery and engine ground cables are in good condition and tight then try tapping the starter motor with a hammer etc and try to start

Thought it might be the case for only charging it, he already has the new battery and it's tested good to be sure, can't tap the starter though it's a bit out of reach

10 hours ago, KwS said:

I wonder if its related to this, http://response.bmw.co.nz/battery-terminal-recall or the other (overseas) recall for the battery cable.

I suspected that too, tried jumping the car from the terminals under the hood with no change sadly, and the connections look brand new and are tight, so it's unlikely to be that I think, when I can I'll find a long bar and tap the starter to see if that helps any, if it's the starter then I'll have an interesting time getting to it, not used to the n52 engines, only the m50-m54 :S

PM me your rego and I'll check if the recall has been done or not. Unlikey to affect starting of the car however if it ran fine before the battery change

Also, what size battery went in vs what battery came out?

Edited by Gaz

Thanks all, its been fixed, it was the starter after all, my uncle was crazy and baught it from Repco instead of ordering it from the likes of FCPeuro but its done its installed.