Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

Not my Supra

Its actually pretty cool... ? Wonder what they will sell for here. 

• Like 1

Reliability point made me laugh, should ask again in 10 years.

Can understand the engine\drivetrain but the interior looks too BMW, shame given the original Supra interior look.

50 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Can understand the engine\drivetrain but the interior looks too BMW, shame given the original Supra interior look.

Its running Idrive6 with Toyota logos where as the Z4 gets all the new Idrive 7. 

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Should sell for about 100K, about 30K less than the Z4. Have driven the Z4 and loved it, even prefer the Z4 styling over the Supra styling

The actual interior design and layout is still way too BMW like for my tastes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

apparently a 100k

Would take a 1 year old m4 or a new m2 over this for the same money.

Bound to bring some investment to the b58 platform though. 

I cant help but think of the space ghost logo when i see the front.

s-l300.jpg

supra.jpg

Edited by andrewm

100k is too much, kia stinger is 70k and doesnt have the styling or "name" but has similar performance levels and is a bigger car, with the same gearbox. 370Z nismo is also 70k, and has the styling and name... but a bit slower and comes with a manual box (still, 5s to 100kmh is hardly slow)..

I wonder if they will depreciate like a BMW, or like a Toyota. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

I think this is great. I'm a fan, and wish we saw more cars like this. 

Styling is questionable, but some angles (rear) looks awesome. 

The reviews are praising the handling. And M2 levels of power are more than enough for the street. I'd rather a BMW interior than Toyota. It's benchmarked off a Cayman - and that makes it look like a good buy. (You can't compare used to new and it's certainly not comparable to a Stinger).

The biggest problem I see is practicality. Small boot etc...

• Like 2

i dont see practicality being "the" problem.. it certainly can be a problem but i highly doubt it being the deciding factor.

i wish they paid more homage to the original supra and followed it's design cues a bit more instead of making something that looks totally different. (to my eyes anyway) 

caeb87d1db16129fafa162963285a88c.jpg

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, qube said:

i dont see practicality being "the" problem.. it certainly can be a problem but i highly doubt it being the deciding factor.

i wish they paid more homage to the original supra and followed it's design cues a bit more instead of making something that looks totally different. (to my eyes anyway) 

That looks awesome!! 

Such a wasted opportunity to make a good looking car better than the A80.. but no they came up with this:

59618946_2280536501969036_8991055941554143232_n.thumb.jpg.434dae37ba2b73e3a54d46f0200d290d.jpg

honestly... they could have made an amazing new supra (like the concept image above). The above looks like a beefier older brother to the GT86 (not a bad thing!)

But then they copied the enzo front end for the concept release and managed to ruin it with the final product.

I dunno, both the Ft1 and FT86 concept looked awesome, just the production versions lost a lot of coolbeans factor. The concepts also shared a bunch of styling cues (like 90s celicas/supras/etc did as well )

I wonder what mazda are up to with their new straight six and development of the Vision concept (which also looked awesome).

2009-toyota-ft-86-concept_100230228.jpg

maxresdefault (7).jpg

3 hours ago, qube said:

Gosh that's ugly. It's fat and bloated, in the same places the mk4 was, and it does it no favours. 

You can't expect it to look like a mk4. Remember that the mk4 looked nothing like the mk1/2 or especially, the mk3. It's evolution. 

I think it's good. The BMW engine will be great, but I do think it priced its self out of the market a bit (lots of competition in that price point). But what did the mk4 cost new? I recall that was bloody expensive too. 

It's a great car, but it doesn't have the X factor.

It would have cost too much to develop a standalone car me thinks.  Much easier to pay BMW to re-skin a car they already have.

The Toyota Mark X GRMN is the Toyota I would rock.

36 minutes ago, Michael. said:

Gazoo racing :lol:

What happened to TRD? :( 

Became a trim level for utes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Bang on

MkIV never had any X factor for me.  Always thought it was a fat whale of a car.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 5:35 PM, Jacko said:

Became a trim level for utes. 

Annoying thing is that back in 2007 I worked on a project for Toyota Australia where their TRD section developed a "proper" TRD ute, supercharged v6 petrol, big brakes, shocks & Springs, etc. Was doing well until the bean counters closed it down for no proper reason, look at the size of the tricked-up ute market now. The "TRD" is only a few stickers, and bits of trim, no more power, etc... grr.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/16/2019 at 8:58 AM, Driftit said:

MkIV never had any X factor for me.  Always thought it was a fat whale of a car.

Yeah I always disregarded it after playing the original Need for Speed game, it had the best steering but it was super slow.

GTR was king for me as I would watch it in Bathurst.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:48 PM, GorGasm said:

Yeah I always disregarded it after playing the original Need for Speed game, it had the best steering but it was super slow.

GTR was king for me as I would watch it in Bathurst.

Haha same here.  And then I drove a GTR.  They both need 50K thrown at them these days.