Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

E31 850 CSi

It's the one we serviced and did all the compliance repairs on  at work and had on one of the Bimmersport outings out at Kaiaua. I could have owned it back then when it was offered to me for $30K by the second owner.. a customer of mine. It had done 24,000k at the time

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Yeah it sure was a nice car, ive always liked the hybird E34\E36 interior.Asking price is another story for our market.

I had trouble trying to get $70k for it when trying to sell it on behalf of the owner on Trade Me

• Like 1

I owned one of these, imported and sold it here, no where near that price but mine was burning oil (and had 100k more miles). At least it was well loved!

If i was doing an E31 again ideally it would be an 840i Manual. All the performance in the real world, none of the M70/S70 drawbacks (yes I know its a V12). 

• Like 2

Hey there, very interesting! What colour was your example? I remember 12-15 years ago when there were 3 in the country that people knew of- a ex Singaporean example in hell or brilliant red, a black one that was ex UK. Then we heard about this silver one through the threads here on Bimmersport- with time-warp low mileage. 

During that time an ex UK purple one arrived in the country that was coated in rust- inhibiting it from achieving compliance. 

Of course, ‘Mr E31’ Alan Ferguson brought in a batch of E31’s over the last 10 years that included a few special CSI’s.

I was not aware of your car. 

These things are super rare- only 160 made in RHD. A friend of mine owns this car and it is a gem. It has to be one of the best in the world. A worthy addition to a BMW collection! 

Sure is pretty, even by today's standards - far more attractive than the current 6 series!

At $150k I think the owner needs to change the auction description from "fast appreciating" to "was fast appreciating" because it's not going up any further. You'd be silly to pay 150 unless you were putting it in a collection/museum (and even then?).

2 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

...and did all the compliance repairs on...

Was it written off, de-registered and needed compliance to get it back on the road? Or have I interpreted that wrong?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Sure is pretty, even by today's standards - far more attractive than the current 6 series!

At $150k I think the owner needs to change the auction description from "fast appreciating" to "was fast appreciating" because it's not going up any further. You'd be silly to pay 150 unless you were putting it in a collection/museum (and even then?).

Was it written off, de-registered and needed compliance to get it back on the road? Or have I interpreted that wrong?

It was not written off. The rego lapsed by the original owner who was Singapore based. Nothing to do with insurance either. The repairs were maintenance needed to get it running nicely. New intake gaskets and a few other minor issues from memory

Edited by B.M.W Ltd

Okay, that's reassuring... a 'complicated' history is never in the seller's advantage.

There were apparently only 4 RHD Lotus White on Estoril Blue E36 M3's ever made... wonder if I could ask 6 figures?!? ?

24 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Okay, that's reassuring... a 'complicated' history is never in the seller's advantage.

There were apparently only 4 RHD Lotus White on Estoril Blue E36 M3's ever made... wonder if I could ask 6 figures?!? ?

you could ask, but never get :)

1 hour ago, ssbmw said:

ex Singaporean example in hell or brilliant red

is this julians 850ci? his was red, then painted black.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

True, but I would get heaps of helpful advice in the Trademe Q&A section! ?

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ssbmw said:

Hey there, very interesting! What colour was your example?

Mine was Fjord Grey, 1993! Sold to a guy in ChCh and sadly the engine siezed on his trip home. That was around 3years ago. I have the car for 7years+ and did a ton of work on it. 

14 hours ago, qube said:

is this julians 850ci? his was red, then painted black.

Jooles’s car was a red 850i that was painted by its ex owner who lived in Hamilton. 

The 850csi I mentioned that originated in Singapore resides in Tauranga - and is red with black leather and sits on 17” Throwing stars. Briefly on trademe for $90k 10 years ago. Didn’t sell. Has about 65000 Kms on the clock.

8 hours ago, Kodachrome said:

Mine was Fjord Grey, 1993! Sold to a guy in ChCh and sadly the engine siezed on his trip home. That was around 3years ago. I have the car for 7years+ and did a ton of work on it. 

Ah yes, i remember you!! You brought the car over when you migrated- correct?! 

Yes, your one was a nice straight daily driver!

Hope you are well! 

18 minutes ago, ssbmw said:

Ah yes, i remember you!! You brought the car over when you migrated- correct?! 

Yes, your one was a nice straight daily driver!

Hope you are well! 

Yep, all good here. Was in Ireland again, then Canada then here again since. I had an i8 in Ireland, and unlike the current 8 series, I consider that a better spiritual successor. Also has the ott impact the E31 had and the polarising looks, launched at a time of oil crisis/transition etc. 

Unlike the current 8 which is just like a big but normal 6 series. Nice but blandish. 

Hoping to get an i8 here in the next year too, it was soooo good. There was talk of a meatier CSI/sports version of the i8 coming out too, just like the 850CSi to the 850Ci. 

Edited by Kodachrome