Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

BMW M EV Plan

BMW M GmbH chairman of the board of management Markus Flasch has revealed that the high performance division is close to showing its first electrified vehicle – and that it could be an M-only car rather than one based on a mainstream BMW model line.

In an interview with Australian journalists last week, Mr Flasch confirmed that the M division is working on the three major powertrain alternatives – seriesparallel hybrid, plug-in hybrid and full battery-electric – and while he was not prepared to divulge launch timing for the debutante, he said “it is not too far in the distance”.

“Everything that brings competitiveness and performance to a car is relevant for M and we see a lot of potential in both technologies (hybrid and full-electric),” he said.“There is no dogma in how we equip our cars, so as soon as one of those technologies qualifies for proper M specifications we will make them available.

“We cannot yet disclose whether it will be an M-only car that we will first launch this technology, but it has potential.

“It might also be a standard, as you call it, car that offers thetechnology.”

Mr Flasch said he had “no fear” that M would remain as relevant as it does today as tougher environmental regulations prompt the accelerated development of electrified powertrains.

“It’s like in motorsport, if the rules change, you need to see these changing rules as an opportunity,” he said, pointing to the fact that electric drivetrains can enable much higher outputs.

“When we talk about electric vehicles, this offers a huge opportunity for us because if you think about current systems, you pretty much control the engine output over braking, or brake systems – you destroy energy with it.

“On an electric car, if you think about four independent engines, you can do this type of control on the power side, not on the braking side, and this is where we think we will make a difference when it comes to electric cars.

“This is where we are very strong compared to the rest of BMW and also compared to the competition.

“As long as you get the exact right amount of torque to the wheel in the right situation … then there is no certain number of horsepower or limit to the power, it’s just about how you control it.

“Today’s systems with combustion engines and hydraulic brakes are pretty much on their limit, but we will push that further when it comes to electrification.”

Asked if BMW M was working to a definitive timeframe to have electrified vehicles across its model range, Mr Flasch told GoAuto:“There isn’t, but if there was I wouldn’t disclose it.

“We won’t see a switch, black and white. There won’t be one point in time where combustion engines disappear and hybrid will replace them, and then another point in time where battery-electric vehicles replace hybrid.

“What we might see is that, depending on the market, depending on the segment, we will see different technologies in parallel.”

MW M EV plan

• Like 2

I'm sure some will see this as the deathknell, but I, for one, welcome our new electric overlords.

Hopefully they have one out within 4 years or so, because if so I know what'll be next after the 1-er :D

I'd take some convincing on a pure electric, they are quick as hell (having driven a number of Tesla's) but a little soulless - but I could really see a performance-focused hybrid being a thing of beauty and not necessarily losing the sound, which is what I find i miss most in an electric.

Edited by BlackrazorNZ
  • Like 1

Certainly take a electric motor over a turbo charger

• Like 1

I would expect that most manufacturers will be working on "high performance" EVs now or in the very near future, they just make more sense! We have reached the point of diminishing returns with IC engines and electric powertrains are a much more promising investment. Also, my Leaf is nothing special but i have owned it for 2 years and nearly 20,000 km now and have spent exactly zero dollars on maintenance!! I am sure that BMW will come up with a way of getting money out of EV owners going forward though!!

There is significant concern long term in some sectors of the automotive maintenance and repair sector, over the fact that EV's require so much less maintenance and therefore will potentially have a significant impact on the viability and requirement for professional automotive maintenance.

One of the stats I read a while back was that the average IC engined car has 2100-ish moving parts. The average EV has 83.

Edited by BlackrazorNZ
  • Like 1

If there is a market, make it! 

I just wonder what they have to do to make it exciting, an 8000rpm M engine 6, 8 or 10 cylinder is as good as it gets.. glorious analogue sounds that stir the soul. The sound a car makes is one of the most important aspects of loving or hating something, in my opinion.

An electric powertrain is inherently boring, yes it can go fast but you need more than just whines and whirs to feel connected and something soulful out of it. So I'd be interested to see what they do to make it worthy of the M badge. 

• Like 1

That's an easy one and they already know how to do it - engine noise via speakers

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Michael. said:

If there is a market, make it! 

I just wonder what they have to do to make it exciting, an 8000rpm M engine 6, 8 or 10 cylinder is as good as it gets.. glorious analogue sounds that stir the soul. The sound a car makes is one of the most important aspects of loving or hating something, in my opinion.

An electric powertrain is inherently boring, yes it can go fast but you need more than just whines and whirs to feel connected and something soulful out of it. So I'd be interested to see what they do to make it worthy of the M badge. 

I am in 2 minds about this, I love the sound of my V10,  but I also love the silence of my EV, I think it stems from the knowledge that noise is wasted energy and I'm not a huge fan of wasting energy (particularly energy I have paid for) in an ideal world it would be optional to have a soundtrack in an EV but I am just as happy with a good stereo and silent drivetrain.

I think we'll see more hi-po hybrids before they go full electric, giving enthusiasts the best of both worlds.

I don't think anybody that's ever driven a LaFerrari has said it wasn't pure awesome.

Edited by M3AN

On 5/18/2019 at 1:16 PM, aja540i said:

I am in 2 minds about this, I love the sound of my V10,  but I also love the silence of my EV, I think it stems from the knowledge that noise is wasted energy and I'm not a huge fan of wasting energy (particularly energy I have paid for) in an ideal world it would be optional to have a soundtrack in an EV but I am just as happy with a good stereo and silent drivetrain.

All of the EV's I've ever driven have an engine sound you can toggle on and off.

Having said that, they don't seem to want to imitate an IC engine sound - most of them sound like some sort of alien hovercraft...

Is it the latest Leaf where you can choose an engine sound - including things like a V8 or the GT-R?

I find that I make my own engine noises when driving EVs, not a petrol engine noise either, more a whooo noise like the old UK milk floats.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Is it the latest Leaf where you can choose an engine sound - including things like a V8 or the GT-R?

I find that I make my own engine noises when driving EVs, not a petrol engine noise either, more a whooo noise like the old UK milk floats.

Can you choose a Jetsons flying car noise? because i would. :)

• Haha 2