Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

M Faith In RWD

Count on rear-drive, manual for next BMW M3 as global M chief talks up CS and CSL specials

BMW’S M division remains committed to offering purely rearwheel-drive variants of select highperformance passenger cars, despite a shift to all-wheel drive on various model lines including the latest M5 super-sedan and the forthcoming all-new M3.

In an interview with Australian journalists last week, BMW M GmbH chairman of the board of management Markus Flasch also confirmed that a broader range of pure CS variants – and potentially the long-awaited return of CSL– were part of the performance brand’s future.

Mr Flasch stopped short of officially confirming that the forthcoming M3 due to be revealed in 2020 would offer both purely reardrive and all-wheel-drive versions, but made it clear that customers of its smaller models, including M2, M3 and M4, were still asking for rear-wheel drive – as well as a manual gearshift.

“With M3, we were able to take over the entire drivetrain concept that we offer in the M5, and we were able to do a rear-wheel-drive version as well plus manual transmission,” he said.

“I won’t disclose today how we configure those opportunities, but we can do whatever the markets globally demand.

“I can’t confirm it, but I’ve driven the cars!”

Mercedes-AMG chief Tobias Moers was recently quoted as saying that a clear AMG customer preference for all-wheel drive will see the threepointed star brand’s performance arm shift towards this drivetrain configuration across its range.

Asked by GoAuto if he could see the day when BMW M no longer offered rear-drive variants, Mr Flasch said: “No, I don’t see the point why this would happen.”

In terms of customer preference for all-wheel over rear-wheel drive, the M chief said there was a clear differentiation between buyers of larger and smaller models.

“In the larger segments, SUV and also sedan, our customers typically drive the cars long distances, they drive them all year, they drive them on dirt roads – for instance, an M5 driver or also the X5 M driver, they clearly go for all-wheel drive,” he said.

“We also know that on the M5, the current model, with the switchable all-wheel drive, people hardly ever switch off AWD because it’s just such a great drive with it.

“On smaller segments, more let’s call it iconic M2, M3, M4 cars, they are typically either ‘entrance’ cars to certain customers or they are second or third cars, and rear-wheel drive makes the most sense for these cars because they are taken out in good weather, for special occasions.

“This is not black and white, but in general there is a differentiation between the bigger cars – longer wheelbase, V8 – smaller cars, straight-six (engine), more like ‘the good weather car’, are still asking for rear-wheel drive and manual stick shift.”

Mr Flasch said the M division would also continue to cater for different customer tastes through the sportier Competition spec and more versions of the CS – and potentially CSL – racetrack-oriented variants.

“We will see more limited editions, especially models like the CS and, I can imagine, the CSL,” he said.

“We won’t do this for every car but I would go as far as to say that we also don’t have to stick to coupes only. I can imagine CS and other special versions also will turn up.

“We won’t see the GTS sub-brand in future. There will be CS and maybe CSL. There won’t be a GTS in parallel with CSL"

• Like 2

Hope still exists in the galaxy. 

Come to the dark side Luke...